Help Finding Good Student Practice Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Finding Good Student Practice Amps

I need help expanding the practice amps I have for a student Guitar Club at my high school. (Full-on Rock-n-Roll Electric Guitar club, not acoustic classical guitar)
    My favorite amps to use for that class are the older Roland Micro Cubes. They take up very little space on the counter, they sounds good and have a simple easy to use selection of effects/amp models, they have a power cord and they are pretty tough.

Micro Cubes have become pretty pricey (for what they were) and scarce on the used market now. I used to be able to pick them up used for 40-50 bucks.
    I need some other more recent amp options, and I wanted to pick your brains for suggestions.

Things the amps need to have/be:

-Very Small - not so small it sounds terrible, but a lot bigger than the Micro Cubes to save counter space. Even the Vox VT15 and Fender Mustang 1 takes up a lot of counterspace in comparison.

-Must run off a power cord. I am not fooling with batteries.

-Must have limited (not overwhelming) choices for amp models. A good Clean, Drive, Crunch, and High Gain is really all I need. Too many choices and it becomes hard to tell students following along to "switch to a clean setting for what we are learning next".

-Must have LABELED and limited choices for effects. Reverb, maybe delay and chorus/flange is all I really need. I have a Mustang 1 and Mustang Mini, but those do not have any of the effects knobs labeled and that is SO frustrating, not to mention those amps have a LOT of unwanted hum/feedback when near multiple electric outlets.

-Bombproof. I love the older Micro Cubes and Vox AD/VT amps because they had a metal grill in front of the speaker cone. Things get knocked around a lot. Teenagers could break wolverines adamantium claws if given 10 minutes to mess with them.

-All effects/models/channels must be adjustable from the amps controls themselves. No phone apps or online download requirements.

-Affordable. I need several of these, and I am a broke public school teacher. I would like to stay somewhere between 40 and 80 dollars, but might consider as high as 100, although that will limit the number of amps I can purchase.

I really don't have good suggestions for practice amps, but how many students are you talking? With the size constraints the ones that come to mind are the Positive Grid Bia Mini and the Yamaha THR, both of which are over budget. Maybe try contacting the manufacturers and see if they will help with an education project, it's a tax write off for them, but it would probably have to be done through the school and not personally (I really don't know, just guessing).

I would also contribute to a GoFundMe or something to get kids playing guitar in school!

Comment

Honestly, I'd figure out which models you want, and make a pitch to the manufacturer. Kinda like writing a grant, but shorter and faster. They might help your Rock Club out.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Another route you could go is like a Vox ToneLab or Zoom pedal and just get clean powered monitor speakers, which might be much cheaper than an amp.

For example, for practicing in the small space of my home office, I use a single Zoom MS-50G (to handle all the amp/speaker/effects sounds) then just run that into an old BOSS MA15 personal monitor, which is a full-range 5" speaker, very compact but can get loud and sounds great.

Comment

Besides Cubes - think about used Katanas.

A patrol of a pawn shop will turn up a ton of Fender Frontman 25's and Crate GSX's and a number of Peavey Rage and Vypers.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

In my high school class we used those 30w line 6 amps for over 10 years, they haven't failed yet and sound passable enough.
            https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Working...
            X