Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100w into a pair of greenbacks? careful now lol

Comment

Yeah if anybody's 100 watt Marshall ever needed a good two valve neutering mod it's mine. (50 watts was good enough for Glenn and KK right?) Anyhoo...managed not to blow up one so two shouldn't be a problem as long as the cat doesn't make any unauthorized adjustments. Little bugger will sit on your phone and turn on two different options you didn't even know existed. Hope you speak Chinese

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
        Yeah if anybody's 100 watt Marshall ever needed a good two valve neutering mod it's mine. (50 watts was good enough for Glenn and KK right?) Anyhoo...managed not to blow up one so two shouldn't be a problem as long as the cat doesn't make any unauthorized adjustments. Little bugger will sit on your phone and turn on two different options you didn't even know existed. Hope you speak Chinese
        Can't you pull a pair of the tubes to make it a 50 watt?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          Can't you pull a pair of the tubes to make it a 50 watt?

That's what I was thinking too. Pull a pair and half the ohms. (4ohm output into 8ohm cab)
          Just make sure you pull from the correct slots. On my Mesa amps you can pull either the inners or outers, but you do NOT pull the left pair or right pair.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

That's what I was thinking too. Pull a pair and half the ohms. (4ohm output into 8ohm cab)
            Just make sure you pull from the correct slots. On my Mesa amps you can pull either the inners or outers, but you do NOT pull the left pair or right pair.
            Pretty sure that Marshall is the same. My Carvin was. You could run two different sets of tubes that were in the 6L6 family as long as your inside and outside pairs matched.
            I used to run 6L6 and KT-77.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              Pretty sure that Marshall is the same. My Carvin was. You could run two different sets of tubes that were in the 6L6 family as long as your inside and outside pairs matched.
              I used to run 6L6 and KT-77.

That is right. People forget or just don't realize it is perfectly fine to do. It's extra easy with the Mesas fixed-bias and color coding, because you can even go a step beyond and mix two different models of 6L6 withing the same pair (like in a single rectifier 50w) provided they are the same color code. Like you can pair a single str430 green with a single str440 green.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                There’s a speaker identic to the greenback, I think it’s the blackback (G12M?) because they ran out of green rings and just sold them as the latter when they’re the same speaker on the inside.
                The blackbacks are G12H, at least mine are, I am not sure if they used the black caps on anything else. This set has the pulsonic cones stamped 1777. That would make the manufacturer date Feb 1973 to Apr 1974

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

The blackbacks are G12H, at least mine are, I am not sure if they used the black caps on anything else. This set has the pulsonic cones stamped 1777. That would make the manufacturer date Feb 1973 to Apr 1974

It’s allegedly the story that blackbacks are greenbacks without the green. I can’t back it up because it’s someone else’s anecdote. Does it make any sense to you?
                  The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

the 1777 code indicates the 75hz cone, its a celestion code not manufacturer code. there are both g12h and g12m blackbacks, same with greenbacks. just like fender or gibson, they werent going to stop making something because a piece of plastic in the right color wasnt available. cool speakers!

Comment

Blackbacks are the just the colour of the speaker caps they were using at the time.

G12M (medium magnet) or G12H (heavy magnet) is what determines the specific model no.

Both models have been manufactured with green, black, and cream speaker caps in the early days.

Re-issue Greenbacks are a tribute to the original G12M models. When people say Greenback they are almost always referring to G12M model no.

Read all about it here:

https://solodallas.com/celestion-lou...comment-page-2
                      Last edited by Animal; 08-24-2022, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        the 1777 code indicates the 75hz cone, its a celestion code not manufacturer code. there are both g12h and g12m blackbacks, same with greenbacks. just like fender or gibson, they werent going to stop making something because a piece of plastic in the right color wasnt available. cool speakers!
                        Yes it tells you it is a 75hz cone but that code was specific to Pulsonic

Comment

Kickin' new cab and guitar nerd trivia. What's not to like?

Comment

Working...
                          X