banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attempting an open back mod.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Attempting an open back mod.

    Has anybody tried to remove the back of an Orange cabinet (closed back)? Because I can't get the bastard to come off. Is there any particular kind of leverage device I should look into?

  • #2
    Are there screws on the back like on a Marshall that can be removed? If not, that means the speakers are loaded from the front and the back cannot be removed easily. It’ll be jointed and glued in. You can confirm this from the front by checking if the speakers are in fact loaded from the front. You’ll see the whole outside lip that attaches it to the baffle.

    Comment


    • #3
      You might need to remove the side handles and carefully use something to make contact with the inside of the back near the edge, and then use a hammer or mallet to gently tap the back out.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ErikH View Post
        Are there screws on the back like on a Marshall that can be removed? If not, that means the speakers are loaded from the front and the back cannot be removed easily. It’ll be jointed and glued in. You can confirm this from the front by checking if the speakers are in fact loaded from the front. You’ll see the whole outside lip that attaches it to the baffle.
        All the screws have been taken out, I even undid the jack plate for safety (last thing I want to do is rip that cable out). I might need to buy something like a paint/putty scraper as I have seen in some videos. I tried a knife, but that was awkward and stupidly dangerous.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dave74 View Post
          You might need to remove the side handles and carefully use something to make contact with the inside of the back near the edge, and then use a hammer or mallet to gently tap the back out.
          It's only an 8-inch cab, there are no side handles.

          Comment


          • #6
            It's probably glued in. You could try a drill and a jigsaw to cut out a portion of the back that you can save to reinstall making it a convertible. It might even sound better as a partially opened back.

            Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              It's probably glued in. You could try a drill and a jigsaw to cut out a portion of the back that you can save to reinstall making it a convertible. It might even sound better as a partially opened back.

              Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
              If this goes the way I think it's going to go, I won't be able to save anything to make it convertible, but I have another cab, so I'm not worried about "ruining" this one.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	PCC108a.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	6191699 Click image for larger version

Name:	PCC108b.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	6191700
              It won't be this neat but this is the plan.

              Comment


              • #8
                I think you'll find cabinets are designed a particular way for a reason. Taking the back off will give it more bass response, but will also likely make it flubby, loose and unclear, and at small sizes, farty. You might be better off just replacing the speaker with one with better frequency response and better quality cone and coil/transducer weight/strength/materials, but put the cabinet back back on the way it was intended.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                  I think you'll find cabinets are designed a particular way for a reason. Taking the back off will give it more bass response, but will also likely make it flubby, loose and unclear, and at small sizes, farty. You might be better off just replacing the speaker with one with better frequency response and better quality cone and coil/transducer weight/strength/materials, but put the cabinet back back on the way it was intended.
                  The point is to find out. It's an inexpensive cabinet that I already do not particularly like. If I make it worse, that's a shame and into the trash it goes, if I like the change, then lucky me, I didn't have to spend money I didn't want to spend in the first place chasing speakers.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If it's a front loader, the back panel - even if it has screws - might be sealed with caulk inside or even glued.
                    Or it might just be stick.
                    .
                    "Brains have been washed. Fear has been mongered. Now we prepare for the final stage of our conspiracy theory." - Isle Of Dogs

                    .

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                      If it's a front loader, the back panel - even if it has screws - might be sealed with caulk inside or even glued.
                      Or it might just be stick.
                      The rumour is it is glue.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yep. Glue.

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	PCC108c.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	6191725
                        At least, that's what it feels/smells like.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          but its off!

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X