Why do people like Creambacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people like Creambacks?

So I've been rabbit-holing on guitar speakers for a while. I'm trying to have a bunch of options aside from the V30.

...Not to **** on the V30 mind you. There's a reason why V30s are the "standard" for most things. But options are always good!

Speakers that I've used (after a 30+ hour break-in) and enjoyed so far include:
    - V30s.
    That big midrange hump and the bright\open top end is awesome for anything with gain. They sit killer in a mix, and once you notch out some harsh high-end frequencies they're pretty awesome. A bit over-done, but there's a reason why.

- Greenbacks
    I loooooooooove the top end of a greenback. Possibly my favourite speaker would be a V30 mid-range, with a GB top end. They can sound a tad snotty and the bottom end is a bit murky, but when properly pushed, they open up in a glorious way.

- G12H30 Anniversary
    These are potentially becoming my favourite speaker. They've got such a wide frequency range. This makes them seem "scooped" compared to a V30 but they do have plenty of mids, they're just...distributed evenly. They just sound so clear and open, however they do require a bit of taming. The top end CAN be a tad bright and ice-picky. I'm finding that a lot of amps like the treble\presence to be rolled off though...

- Cream Alnicos
    These are my favourite "PRETTY" speakers so far. Big soupy mid-range, slightly fizzy top (but in a friendly, non-abrasive way), super smooth, super detailed and glorious. Makes everything sound "expensive." I wouldn't use 'em for high gain (too fizzy) but aside from that...

Speakers I DIDN'T like:
    - T75s
    Fizzy top, scoopy mids, hated any form of post-processing...I get why they're a bit of a "standard" speaker to come in cabs because they don't suck at anything but they're not good at anything either. Could be great fun for if you want something a bit gnarly and nasty though. Might be pretty sweet for Punk

- Eminence DV77
    Dark and thuddy. The top end had a weird snarl to it and any time I tried to get a bit of brightness\open-ness out of it, it just went harsh. Kinda stiff in the mid-range too and they didn't seem to enjoy much post-processing. I don't know how Kohle gets his sounds out of the DV77 'cos my experience with them was completely opposite.

So basically, overall I tend to like open-ended speakers with a bit of brightness to them. Most of the time when I listen to people play Creambacks online, I hear something murky with a real "blanket-over-the-cab" vibe. Occasionally I hear something cool in the mids, but...

Creambacks seem to have this absolute die-hard following online. I also see a lot of people call them a high-powered Greenback (which I think was the original intention, but that was the same deal with V30s...) but the thing which I love most about Greenbacks (the top end) seems to be the big thing missing from Creambacks?

But the last kink in this equation: YouTube demos of how speakers sound are such a mixed bag. You can check out 12 different samples and get literally 12 different results.

So...I defer to gear nerds. What is cool about Creambacks? Why do people love them and what am I missing?

You left out the 12M-70. Tight lows, midrange spike. Everyone hates on them until they play through them.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Well the list is about speakers he has tried during the tone quest.

Hard to find them anymore, but I think you would really love the Lynchbacks.

Comment

I'm just glad to see speakers being discussed a little more. They make a much bigger difference than pickups, and they only cost a little bit more.

I recently went back to my Eminence Governor/Wizard pair, and I realized I don't like it as much as the Green Beret pair. I like the way the Eminences pick up harmonics more easily, but I get more immediacy to my attack that I don't really like for a rock rhythm tone. The Green Berets have the mids right where I want them with sweeter highs and just the right amount of mush in the bottom. At some point I may try my Vintage 30s again, but I think Greenback flavor is really my thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          You left out the 12M-70. Tight lows, midrange spike. Everyone hates on them until they play through them.

I don't know if they are close -but I love my 12V-70 -especially after a 1/2 year of breaking in.

Sort of the perfect balance of the ability of beautiful cleans and also ability to take mid bumped gain/distortion and sound incredible.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Everyone hates everything until they play through it. I had a forum Bro visit that played my Iceman. He raved about the pickup and the tone, he was shocked it was a 498T because he hates 498Ts. He then fell in love with my SG, once again a 498T.

Comment

I really like V30 with all levels of gain and greenbacks with classic rock levels of gain. This may sound silly, but I like Creambacks for a more “refined” or “polite” celestion sound. They are in my V40D cab and I use that rig for bluesy rock with pedals. They are full, rich and responsive.

Overall though, V30s give me a level of comfort, like a higher output pickup or gain staged amp, it feels solid, in control and authoritative, greenbacks feel like they are on the edge (which is fun and sounds great too, but different).
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

i havent tried the alnico creamback, or the ruby actually, but both interest me.

i love a g12m with the right amp. if you have the amp cooking a bit a greenback puts the guitar in a mix really well. i also love v30s for the way they sit in a mix but prefer the woodier tone of the greenback. the g12h-30 is one of my favorite speakers. i use one in my primary gigging amp, a '66 deluxe reverb, have another in a 1x12 cab, a 55hz model in my 5e3 clone, and have a 2x12 with v30/g12h-30, and a mojo version in a jtm30

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                  Greenbacks feel like they are on the edge (which is fun and sounds great too, but different).
                  Agree 100% -Greenback have some hid mid sizzle that V30s don't typically -Greenbacks have a little less dimensionality than a V30 IMO -but a little more in your face too.

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

You guys should give the Celestion V-Type a try, really. It sits somewhere between the Greenback and the V30. It’s provided with a medium size ceremic magnet (like a G12M). It’s inexpensive, used by amp vendors as their factory Standard speaker (where they used to install the 70-80, which is from a much lower speaker league). Really all the good things from a V30, but without the harsh mid spike. It’s ignored by most cork sniffers due to the price (if it aint expensive, it can’t be any good) and country of origin (if it ain’t made in the UK, it can’t be any good). But please do yourself a favour and check it out, it’s a truely wonderful guitar speaker punching way above its weight.

Comment

Originally posted by LRS View Post
                      You guys should give the Celestion V-Type a try, really. It sits somewhere between the Greenback and the V30. It’s provided with a medium size ceremic magnet (like a G12M). It’s inexpensive, used by amp vendors as their factory Standard speaker (where they used to install the 70-80, which is from a much lower speaker league). Really all the good things from a V30, but without the harsh mid spike. It’s ignored by most cork sniffers due to the price (if it aint expensive, it can’t be any good) and country of origin (if it ain’t made in the UK, it can’t be any good). But please do yourself a favour and check it out, it’s a truely wonderful guitar speaker punching way above its weight.
                      All in on the V Type

V30s, Greenbacks and V-type 70s are my 3 main speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

I don't know if they are close -but I love my 12V-70 -especially after a 1/2 year of breaking in.

Sort of the perfect balance of the ability of beautiful cleans and also ability to take mid bumped gain/distortion and sound incredible.
                        I've never heard the V series. I suspect that they're different from the M series in tone. The 12M-70 was standard issue in early 80's Carvin guitar amps and cabs. 70 watts, decent low end especially in a closed cab. The midrange has a spike in the upper mids which makes it cut in a band mix very well. But at bedroom levels, it can appear as too prominent. Similar to the issue that some have with the JB.
                        I have an old Carvin 4x12 cab with them and I love it. I did not like them quite as much in my open backed Carvin XV212 combo. Eventually I replaced those with a Swamp Thang/Texas Heat.

Comment

Yeah, Creamback M's are smoother and darker than Greenbacks.

Creamback H's are the same way with H30's.

IME, neither Creamback H's or H30's for that matter have a ton of low-end.

Comment

I've never heard the V series. I suspect that they're different from the M series in tone. The 12M-70 was standard issue in early 80's Carvin guitar amps and cabs. 70 watts, decent low end especially in a closed cab. The midrange has a spike in the upper mids which makes it cut in a band mix very well. But at bedroom levels, it can appear as too prominent. Similar to the issue that some have with the JB.
                            I have an old Carvin 4x12 cab with them and I love it. I did not like them quite as much in my open backed Carvin XV212 combo. Eventually I replaced those with a Swamp Thang/Texas Heat.

Yeah, Im pretty familiar with the old 80s Carvin stuff -especially 4x12 cabs and XB100b head -stellar stuff

Comment

I've only tried the Creamback 65 in my buddy's DSL40 which didn't really do much for me. I tend to like Greenbacks fwiw

I like the Emi GB128 a lot, it is likely replacing the Vintage 30 in my JCM800 combo, Vintage 30's just never sound right to me for whatever reason?

I was looking for a Creamback to try in the 800 but decided to try the Emi in there first. I'm going to try the 30 in a closed back extension cab in combo with the GB in the 800 see how they go togehter.
                              My Bands -
                              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
                              X