Which power tubes for my Dual Rec?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    Sorry, I only answered my opinion for a dual rec -but for a JVM? I prefer 34Ls because they are smoother and warmer and that keeps the fizz and aggression of my greenbacks and V30s in line.
    That’s all I’m after. The E34Ls are so good in the JVM and I’ve tried 6CA7s and KT77s, I’ve found what I’m after for that. The next part of my question now is what kind of 6L6s? We all know the bias is a little cold. JJs claim theirs are rated to work well with it, the reviews are split right down the middle.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
      That’s all I’m after. The E34Ls are so good in the JVM and I’ve tried 6CA7s and KT77s, I’ve found what I’m after for that. The next part of my question now is what kind of 6L6s? We all know the bias is a little cold. JJs claim theirs are rated to work well with it, the reviews are split right down the middle.
      Unless it's an emergency change (where i just trust the published rating from GT etc etc) -I usually measure my stuff and adjust bias every change.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
        I don't think JJ 6L6's are fat and loose, though. I'd say it's the contrary. They're bright, tight, and kind of insipid. Not a fan.
        Insipid? Meaning sterile?
        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

I experimented a lot when I was younger and I typically find Rectos sound best wth stock Mesa tubes in them, which in this case is Chinese. I’ve also used Sovtek, but I think the Chinese ones sound better.

I’ve never used JJ 6L6. If Mesa has started using them that’s a relatively recent thing.
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
            I experimented a lot when I was younger and I typically find Rectos sound best wth stock Mesa tubes in them, which in this case is Chinese. I’ve also used Sovtek, but I think the Chinese ones sound better.

I’ve never used JJ 6L6. If Mesa has started using them that’s a relatively recent thing.
            I think this pretty much settles it. It shouldn’t be any more complicated than that.

Comment

Never used these myself but it is a cheaper option.

High quality 6L6 GC Tube. Solid construction and great tone from the NessTone 6L6GC-NT. Hand selected and screened for noise and microphonics.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                Never used these myself but it is a cheaper option.

https://nesstone.com/product/nesstone-6l6gc-nt/
                Hmm! It’s cheap enough to be worth a try.

Comment

Hmm! It’s cheap enough to be worth a try.
                  I've had only good luck so far with the other stuff I've ordered from Nesstone.
                  Before the tube "crisis" I grabbed some sets of NOS 90s era Mesa-branded 6L6 and 12ax7 for cheap. (420, 430, and foil-getter preamps)

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

I've had only good luck so far with the other stuff I've ordered from Nesstone.
                    Before the tube "crisis" I grabbed some sets of NOS 90s era Mesa-branded 6L6 and 12ax7 for cheap. (420, 430, and foil-getter preamps)
                    How were they?

Comment

How were they?
                      The 420 coke-bottle (shugaung) are the classic stock 90s rectifier tubes. I'd say they are fuller in the mids and sweeter in the highs than many 6L6. Chewier lows.
                      430 are Sovtecs that were stock in the late 90s early 2000s. They are a bit more brash up top and wider sounding overall, maybe just from having a bit less mids.

The Chinese mesa preamps are great for all positions but especially the cathode followers. I prefer the Tung-Sol or EH for the V1.

Comment

Working...
                      X