Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rex_Rocker
    replied
    I don't think JJ 6L6's are fat and loose, though. I'd say it's the contrary. They're bright, tight, and kind of insipid. Not a fan.

Leave a comment:

• El Dunco
    replied
    Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    If you want big bright tight big broadband recto tones -I'd lean toward 6L6

If you want smooth mids and less scoop -go EL34
    Yeah, big!

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied
    If you want big bright tight big broadband recto tones -I'd lean toward 6L6

If you want smooth mids and less scoop -go EL34

Leave a comment:

• El Dunco
    replied
    Originally posted by dave74 View Post
    Well that would have came from the factory with mesa 420, which were shugaungs, but you probably won't find any of them.
    I would choose 6L6, probably the mesa jj str-445 since you can probably get them unbranded from a dealer within mesa bias range, and for an OK price.
    Good advice. I’ll have a look around. Crazy that they range from $125 per quartet to over $1000!

Leave a comment:

• dave74
    replied
    Well that would have came from the factory with mesa 420, which were shugaungs, but you probably won't find any of them.
    I would choose 6L6, probably the mesa jj str-445 since you can probably get them unbranded from a dealer within mesa bias range, and for an OK price.

Leave a comment:

• El Dunco
    replied
    Originally posted by dave74 View Post
    What era/model of rectifier is it?
    2 channel. Rev F I think.

Leave a comment:

• El Dunco
    replied
    Originally posted by Cynical View Post
    IMO, Rectos sound much better with 6L6s than they do with anything in the EL34 family. 6CA7s or KT77s might be interesting since those both have some 6L6 flavor, but why mess with what works? There's a reason those amps ship with what they do...
    That confirms my gut feeling. JJ 6L6GCs are the cheapest and easiest to get but people are complaining they’re “too dark/loose” though I suspect under a proper A/B test, they probably aren’t and can’t sound much different to any other 6L6GC and besides, they make them rated for Mesa’s fixed bias specs.

Leave a comment:

• Cynical
    replied
    IMO, Rectos sound much better with 6L6s than they do with anything in the EL34 family. 6CA7s or KT77s might be interesting since those both have some 6L6 flavor, but why mess with what works? There's a reason those amps ship with what they do...

Leave a comment:

• dave74
    replied
    What era/model of rectifier is it?

Leave a comment:

• El Dunco
    started a poll Which power tubes for my Dual Rec?

Which power tubes for my Dual Rec?

6CA7
    0%
    KT77
    0%
    E34Ls in the recto also
    0%
    6L6GC
    100.00%
    After noticing my amps are overdue for a tube swap and finding some suppliers who don’t charge like they’re way more of a big deal than they are (seriously, some go for as much as a full tube amp head!) and comitting to trying E34Ls in my Marshall (that’s not a typo, people rave about them) I’ve narrowed it down to these types. I don’t necessarily remember there being anything “wrong” with how it sounded with the Tung Sol 6L6GCs during their lifetime but I’m open to trying new things. If there’s a particular brand to avoid with any of them, let me know.
Working...
X