banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender / Victoria mods ( speaks / tubes ) ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender / Victoria mods ( speaks / tubes ) ?

I just posted about my Fender Deluxe, but in the same vien I'm looking at my beloved Victoria 5W 112 "Champ", with an eye towards some possible mods. Both amps are awesome, but maybe a little "bright" sounding for me. Maybe a new speaker would do some good, or possibly mod to EL34 power tube(s) esp on the basically redone Deluxe. I know it's blasphemy, but I can't help but wonder. Comments ?
    Thanks !
    "If you love them blues, play 'em as you please"
    -Michael Bloomfield

Re: Fender / Victoria mods ( speaks / tubes ) ?

The speaker would be the 1st place I'd start to tame a bright amp. The power tubes would be last. In between I'd try some different preamp tubes or change some Cap value's. I'm not familiar with the Victoria circuit, But i don't think you can just pop a EL34 in a old tweed deluxe? There are some guy's on the board who can tell you Exactly why not. I'm thinking a EL34 in a 6V6 based amp will draw to much current. Also it would need to be biased correctly. If I'm not mistaking it's a fixed bias curcuit.
    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

I haven't played the Vicky Champ, but I do have a Double Deluxe that I love.

I'm surprised it's bright ... I've heard his Deluxe, and thought it sounded warm, like most of his models.

I wouldn't do any mods - Champs are perfect little beasts for what they are.
      Maybe try a new speaker. I've had both a Kendrick and now a Jensen in my '58, but Weber probably makes something you'd like. Try emailing Ted and asking.

wait, did you say 112???? oh well, try Ted anyway
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

I'm in total agreement that the tube mod would be major, and not to be taken lightly. It would be a massive research project, for me at least, and the amp(s) are so amazing to start with, that only a fool ( who you lookin' at ? ) would do so without an impending sense of doom.
        -Michael Bloomfield

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars
          I'd try some different preamp tubes or change some Cap value's. I'm not familiar with the Victoria circuit, But i don't think you can just pop a EL34 in a old tweed deluxe? There are some guy's on the board who can tell you Exactly why not. I'm thinking a EL34 in a 6V6 based amp will draw to much current. Also it would need to be biased correctly. If I'm not mistaking it's a fixed bias curcuit.
          well, the preamps are a good idea, since they're so simple to try, and they do make a big difference, especially in a simple circuit like the Champ and Deluxe

yeah, you can't just switch EL34s for 6V6s - they don't pin out the same. The sockets have to be rewired. It's not a good idea anyway, because EL34s are more power, and anyway there are plenty of 6V6s - new and NOS - that sound KILLER in those amps.

(BTW, those amps don't need biasing - the Deluxe is cathode biased, the Champ is single ended.)

start with the simple things first - preamp tubes, then a speaker
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

no way a stock Deluxe PT is going to supply enough current for 2 EL34's...the OT turns ratio is also wrong for that tube. So, a new PT, a new OT, new power supply, rewiring sockets, hacking up the chassis...hmmm.
            Want EL34's? Buy a amp that is designed for them.

Comment

Originally posted by ES350
              no way a stock Deluxe PT is going to supply enough current for 2 EL34's...the OT turns ratio is also wrong for that tube. So, a new PT, a new OT, new power supply, rewiring sockets, hacking up the chassis...hmmm.
              Want EL34's? Buy a amp that is designed for them.
              I realized as soon as the post left my keyboard that I'd left the wrong impression. The Tweed styles are really great, and I have two of the best. I've just been a little frustrated with the Victoria in particular being a tad bright.

The only reason I mention EL34's at all, is precisely because of how happy I am / have been with Rivera amps with those tubes. Trashing great Tweeds with severe mods is no answer I agree.
              -Michael Bloomfield

Comment

Working...
              X