Peavey JSX Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey JSX Review

As a gear junkie, I'm always buying amps to try out, then resell most items. The Ecstacy stayed, the SLO stayed, the Carvin Legacy stayed, and even a 69 Superbass stayed which I probably should not have bought ($$$$). An amp Ive always been curious about was the Peavey JSX, and saw a mint head on Reverb for $550 that I couldn't pass up. This is a big, well built, heavy, stout amp, and for $600ish used typically, the best kept secret. This is a great amp with EL34s that does everything very well.

First, the clean is very clean and tight, real similar to an SLO. The clean on my Legacy is warmer and more bell like, but not as pristine or tight. As a pedal platform, the clean channel is great for that, a really nice sounding, tight, "down the middle" pristine clean. Being clean and tight means it's not going to be as warm as a Legacy clean, but it's real tight, which is great for pedals. It's very similar to an SLO clean (which kinda gets the same "not real warm" comments). Very happy with the clean overall.

Second channel crunch is great, and "right down the middle". It will do subtle breakup fine, on up to a pretty heavy saturation, while still retaining clarity. Play Metallica just fine on this crunch channel. This crunch channel feels a bit more open than the ultra lead channel to me and has less compression. It just feels real open and blooms nicely as you play. Both channels have resonance and fat switches to dial in as much fatness and chunk as you could ever want as well.

Ultra lead channel is nicely saturated with a hint of the gravelyness of a 5150/6505 in my opinion. Having a 5150 as well, in my opinion it's generally in the ballpark of a 5150. Similarly, both amps have big bottom end, real chunky and percussive if you like that aspect. The JSX is no less gain than a 5150 (a ton), but somehow feels more civilized with these EL34s, not as gravely and course as a 5150/6505. I was worried this channel would be heavily compressed like many Peaveys, and while it is a little compressed, it's fine, and still tasteful. It's a very high gain amp with great dynamics, great tone, nice clarity and articulation, yet also has a civility and uniqueness to it I really like. I can say nothing sounds like a JSX, but it's generally in the 5150 camp to me. You love a 5150 for the savagery of it, you love the JSX for a mix of savagery and civility. I had a Soldano Decatone once and while the Deca crunch is amazing, the lead channel was way too compressed, fortunately the JSX managed to largely avoid this.

In short, it's a big, beautiful, heavy, well built amp that packs boutique tones for sure. It's a monster of amp that packs surprising versatility, and for the $600ish they go for used, it's a laughably good deal. I put it through my Legacy 4x12 with Greenbacks and it sounds great. You will feel like you stole a JSX, it's so much amp for the money. If this amp said Bogner Uberschall on the front, with the same tones, it would go for $2500. I think Joe was very smart basically playing these tones "right down the middle", which means it will appeal to most players. Super cool amp for very little money!!
    Last edited by Chris6542; 09-13-2022, 10:18 PM.

Awesome amps and one of my all time favorites! They sound amazing with 6l6s in there too
    Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
    Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
    Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
    Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

Also a great amp for the hair metal guys because they can use it to touch-up their makeup.

Comment

Great review, well done!

The JSX is my ultimate amplifier.

I used Classic 50s mid-90's to mid-2000's. Plenty of gain in the Lead channel for the 80's Metal I was playing, hitting it with my Duncan Custom or Distortion. This was the starting point for the JSX Crunch channel, so check 1.

Mid-2000's I found my Triple XXX, but surprisingly it was for the Clean channel. My ears are likely shot but it is the best Cleans I have found. The Triple XXX is the platform James and Joe started with for the JSX. Check 2.

When I needed more gain, I found more than enough in my Triple XXX Ultra channel. Again, starting platform. Check 3.

It took me until mid 10's to get my JSX. I was concerned I might lose my Triple XXX cleans. I had a friend riding me that entire time, saying I needed to switch to a JSX. Total irrational fear about the cleans, on my part. I truly regret not doing it sooner.

Good to see someone else appreciating the JSX for the versatile amplifier it is.
        Last edited by JamesPaul; 09-14-2022, 05:52 AM. Reason: Grammar guesser.
        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I think it gave Joe his best tone ever. His live cd/dvd with this thing sounds absolutely incredible IMO.

Comment

On the chrome....I dig it. I like when designers, of anything, go for it. Music is supposed to be fun. It's sad to think Peavey could have had Eddie, Joe, and George Lynch that early 2000s timeframe. What could have been.....

Comment

Well-written review, nicely done.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris6542 View Post
                ... It's sad to think Peavey could have had Eddie, Joe, and George Lynch that early 2000s timeframe. What could have been.....
                The challenge with artists like those 3 is their constant tone quest. They are always pushing to find something better to them. I am curious if someone like Joe wakes up, plugs in his guitar, plays a while, and thinks "I had that tone yesterday. It is great, but how can I get more ________?" I think this is one of the reasons that artists move on.

All 3 of their amps (5150, JSX, Triple XXX) evolved from the Ultra Series. In my experience the 5150 does not have the cleans. The Triple XXX has no true disparity between the Crunch and Ultra channels, one have to dial the Crunch channel down and the Ultra channel up. But James and Joe nailed it with the JSX. A great clean; 60's, 70's, and 80's on the Crunch channel; 90's and beyond on the Ultra channel. I also think Peavey realized this as reflected by the Invective evolving from the 5150/6505, but adding a Clean channel like the JSX.

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                  Great review, well done!

The JSX is my ultimate amplifier.

I used Classic 50s mid-90's to mid-2000's. Plenty of gain in the Lead channel for the 80's Metal I was playing, hitting it with my Duncan Custom or Distortion. This was the starting point for the JSX Crunch channel, so check 1.

Mid-2000's I found my Triple XXX, but surprisingly it was for the Clean channel. My ears are likely shot but it is the best Cleans I have found. The Triple XXX is the platform James and Joe started with for the JSX. Check 2.

When I needed more gain, I found more than enough in my Triple XXX Ultra channel. Again, starting platform. Check 3.

It took me until mid 10's to get my JSX. I was concerned I might lose my Triple XXX cleans. I had a friend riding me that entire time, saying I needed to switch to a JSX. Total irrational fear about the cleans, on my part. I truly regret not doing it sooner.

Good to see someone else appreciating the JSX for the versatile amplifier it is.
                  What are these "cleans" about which you speak?

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post

What are these "cleans" about which you speak?
                    Oh there is an entire channel in there, dedicated to clean tones. But if you are a pedal user, you will likely never find it. You have to not be a big pedal user, like I am, in order to find it! :-D

Comment

Peavey always had potential but seem to burn every bridge that ever made them legit.
                      Hartly is retired in his 80's, what have they done for me lately ?

Comment

Yeah, not much in the tube guitar amplifier market since the invective.

They truly have been challenged on all fronts, innovation included, since the pandemic started. It must have hit Mississippi harder than a lot of places.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                          Yeah, not much in the tube guitar amplifier market since the invective.

They truly have been challenged on all fronts, innovation included, since the pandemic started. It must have hit Mississippi harder than a lot of places.
                          All Meridian MS factory operations were shut down years ago.
                          Everything is made in Jina.

Comment

The Invective might sound great I don't know, but the cosmetics make me look away fast.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

All Meridian MS factory operations were shut down years ago.
                              Everything is made in Jina.
                              Sorry, I equate innovation with the "Designed in the USA" part. I should have chosen different words.

Comment

Working...
                              X