Peavey Triple XXX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Triple XXX

NAD! Finally got my hands on a XXX. I remember when these first came out and always wanted one. The wait has been long but it was worth it. This is a killer amp and sounds much better than I expected. Monster gain and the clean channel is very good. Really quite unlike a 5150. Mine has Ruby EL34 tubes in it. Also got the footswitch and cover for it. Very happy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220921_214327.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	6197769 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220921_212701.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	6197770

Hell's Halleluja! Looks very well-kept.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
      Hell's Halleluja! Looks very well-kept.
      It is. No rips. Some static on the Crunch volume and effects loop send level knob, but other than that in excellent shape for its age.

Comment

I used to have one. Cool amps, but mine never worked right.

I'm one of the few who actually liked the look of the mudflap girls.

Congrats on the new amp!

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post

Congrats on the new amp!
          I liked the girls too! Mostly because most people didn't.

Comment

I had the 60W 3ch combo, great amp. I've heard that was the original design for it but who knows, I know George Lynch was involved with the XXX series during his brief stint working with Peavey.

They ruined it when they changed it to the 2ch 50W combo with built in effects, not sure what they were thinking, take a pro level amp and dumb it down for the masses?

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post

Congrats on the new amp!
              What kind of problems did you have with it?

Comment

I been playing this amp almost nonstop since I got it yesterday. I ended up stacking other heads on top but I don't think I should anymore. The vent on top gets pretty hot and I don't want to damage it in any way from lack of ventilation. I have no clue how old these tubes are, either. Eariler I heard a popping sound like unplugging the speaker cable and plugging it back in. Didnt last long and it went away. When I turn the amp on while in standby I have been letting the amp sit at least 10 mins to warm up the tubes before playing. And yeah I like the chicks, too

Comment

We have a XXX stack in our practice room the thing sounds killer. The guy that owns it has a 5150 half stack but constantly goes back to the XXX every now and again.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                    We have a XXX stack in our practice room the thing sounds killer. The guy that owns it has a 5150 half stack but constantly goes back to the XXX every now and again.
                    I've played many 5150/6505s. I think they're great and all, but after playing the XXX finally, I prefer it over a 5150. Not as noisy and I like the gain better. Wish it had reverb, though, but that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by UnderTheFlame83 View Post
                      Wish it had reverb, though, but that's it.
                      Get a HoF pedal, see my comment earlier about them ruining the combo. Seriously, there are better reverbs for high gain than the old school reverb tanks. IMHO, it's better to get the one that works for you, or in the case of most digital pedals, a choice of reverbs. Yes, most reverb added to new amps is digital, but the designer has usually chosen the reverb and you get a "how much" knob. I prefer choices.

Comment

What kind of problems did you have with it?
                        The previous owner put JJ E34L's, and those are known to cause issues with those amps. I think the bias resistors were busted, so it didn't bias right. Three tubes ran super cold and one super hot. That translated into a super farty sound when ran loud. I sold it for cheap as is.

Comment

I've played many 5150/6505s. I think they're great and all, but after playing the XXX finally, I prefer it over a 5150. Not as noisy and I like the gain better. Wish it had reverb, though, but that's it.
                          As Devastone said you can always add a reverb pedal. There are so many great options for great reverb. Finding a head you love is a lot harder. Congrats on your find.

Comment

Nice!!! Killer amp, I've owned a couple of them. One of the best amps I've owned, just way more power than I need anymore. I'd love a 50wt version, I'd ditch the 5150 I am sure.
                            My Bands -
                            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post

Get a HoF pedal, see my comment earlier about them ruining the combo. Seriously, there are better reverbs for high gain than the old school reverb tanks. IMHO, it's better to get the one that works for you, or in the case of most digital pedals, a choice of reverbs. Yes, most reverb added to new amps is digital, but the designer has usually chosen the reverb and you get a "how much" knob. I prefer choices.
                              Agree with this. And not only is it a great reverb but it's 100ohm output impedance means that if it is last in line it will properly drive a very long cable back to the amp's return, just make sure and engage the buffer internally if this is the case, or else it will only work when the effect is on, not both ways.

Comment

Working...
                              X