Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wattage View Post

No the M65

I was torn but I like the sound of the M better.

The Sheffield isn't awful but it's more like a V30-ish type of sound. I'll probably throw that in the extension cab for now.
    Good choice! IMO the 65 will be better with the gain of the XXX. It has a bit less of the fizz and fuller mids. Most would go with the H for the extra "safety", which is why I guessed it was your pick.

Comment

Congrats on the score! The XXX head was my first tube amp about 17 years ago, and kicked serious ass.

Got rid of mine in favour of the Mark IV but I still think about it, and seeing posts like these makes me think I should check it out again.

I loved living on the crunch channel, it had the perfect balance of aggression and clarity, I found the Ultra channel to be a bit grainy by comparison. How do you have the damping switch set?

Sent from my SM-F926W using Tapatalk

• EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
      • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
      • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
      • G&L Tribute Comanche
      • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
      • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
      • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666 View Post
        Congrats on the score! The XXX head was my first tube amp about 17 years ago, and kicked serious ass.

Got rid of mine in favour of the Mark IV but I still think about it, and seeing posts like these makes me think I should check it out again.

I loved living on the crunch channel, it had the perfect balance of aggression and clarity, I found the Ultra channel to be a bit grainy by comparison. How do you have the damping switch set?

Sent from my SM-F926W using Tapatalk
        I have the damping set on loose.

Comment

The DeOxit worked the charm as usual. I used some Chemicals Guys detailing stuff to clean up the tolex which worked nicely, a little elbow grease got it looking pretty minty. Not likely that it'll stay this clean but it's in great shape so why not? It was biased a little hot so I dialed it back into range, no sound difference that I could tell.

Only issue it has is with the footswitch. The loop on/off works, the Clean/Bypass works but switching between Crunch and Ultra does not. I'm not sure if it's the cable, the jack or the switch? I'll mess with that a little more later.

***Oh I'll put the Mudflap Girl back on she was taking a bath and getting a little touch up work done

****and a Creamback is on order for it

Click image for larger version Name:	thumbnail_IMG_4435.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.1 KB ID:	6198203
          Click image for larger version Name:	thumbnail_IMG_4436.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.1 KB ID:	6198204
          For the switching to work, there is a trick, I don't remember. Like the amp has to be switched to a particular channel for the pedal to work.

Comment

holy crap I never knew they did a 60wt version. How bad was Peavey at marketing if I didn't know this?

I imagine I'll be buying an amp very soon
            Ya know, you can pull two of the power tubes. 60 Watts!

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

Good choice! IMO the 65 will be better with the gain of the XXX. It has a bit less of the fizz and fuller mids. Most would go with the H for the extra "safety", which is why I guessed it was your pick.
              The XXX speaker is not really like a V30. Ive used this cab for past 20 years.

It already has a rounded top and fat mids. IN fact, if you really want some sparkle, play it through a 300 watt marshall. The XXX cab tames it a bit already.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

The XXX speaker is not really like a V30. Ive used this cab for past 20 years.

It already has a rounded top and fat mids. IN fact, if you really want some sparkle, play it through a 300 watt marshall. The XXX cab tames it a bit already.
                Well I was just comparing the two creamback versions, the M and the H.

As for the XXX speaker, I had them in an XXX bottom cab and I also liked them OK. I first replaced them with all V30 and then ended-up doing a pair of V30 and a pair of XXX and it was a great combo!

Comment

I ran my 120 wt XXX combo with 2 PT's, it still weighed a metric ton so no big difference at that point. I don't hate the XXX speaker, I just think it reacts much like a V30 in a lot of ways, at least what I don't like about V30. I find it more appealing in a mix rather than on it's own which is how it'll get used. I used the head with a 412MS cab which tamed some of the top end edginess.

I swapped V1 and 3 for JJ's and used a gold GT 12AT7 in V2. Amp sounds great, super happy with it.

I also got the footswitch working properly. I cleaned the cable ends and jacks again and it works perfectly now. This amp sat in a basement for a while and while it was in great shape it definitely needed a good cleaning. All worth it though, it cost me $400 which really seems to me to be a great deal for a 3 channel MIA combo.

Last edited by Wattage; 09-25-2022, 12:16 AM.
                  My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I'd be curious to hear some clips of this amp, I bet it's pretty badass -as these were made well after Peavey had figured out how to put a little more personality in their amps, they always made rugged amps, it's just they often lacked a "thing" or their own "thing" -The early 90s Classic 30 was the first Peavey I can remember having it's own "thing" distinctly -before that they were mostly a faithful representation of the the guitars signal more than anything (not a bad thing at all -just not what most folks were looking for, most people wanted the amp to add some of it's own mojo) -which is why everyone like their bass stuff.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The thing I like about Peavey is they put a lot of thought and options on the back panel. They are very versatile amps.

Comment

I think the first ad of the XXX I remember seeing was in Guitar World in 2004. This picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l400.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	6198411

Comment

So I am kind of blown away. Yesterday I ordered the Creamback from zZounds thru Reverb, it got delivered today. Sat/Sun that is some kind of service!

It is in and it sounds fantastic, exactly as I had hoped it would sound.

I am going to LA this week but when I get back I am going t try and do some clips of this setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_4445.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	6198430
                          My Bands -
                          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Awesome. I think these were also a great upgrade for those Marshall dsl combos. Sweetwater was selling them like that for awhile iirc.
                            IMO these should be an all-time classic for Celestion, much more than the H75, not that the H75 is bad by any means, I just think the M65 better captures the essence of where they were going with the whole Creamback idea in the first place.

Comment

I ran my 120 wt XXX combo with 2 PT's, it still weighed a metric ton so no big difference at that point. I don't hate the XXX speaker, I just think it reacts much like a V30 in a lot of ways, at least what I don't like about V30. I find it more appealing in a mix rather than on it's own which is how it'll get used. I used the head with a 412MS cab which tamed some of the top end edginess.

I swapped V1 and 3 for JJ's and used a gold GT 12AT7 in V2. Amp sounds great, super happy with it.

I also got the footswitch working properly. I cleaned the cable ends and jacks again and it works perfectly now. This amp sat in a basement for a while and while it was in great shape it definitely needed a good cleaning. All worth it though, it cost me $400 which really seems to me to be a great deal for a 3 channel MIA combo.
                              Amazing deal! I've been looking for one to match my XXX cab. They are actually hard to find, one has to pop up within driving distance or you end up paying a premium.

Should never have sold the original.

Comment

This is the guitarist I share space with. He bought the 5150 about 2, maybe 3 years ago. He likes the 5150 but still prefers the XXX over it. He also has a blue stripe Peavey Ultra half stack collecting dust in the corner of the room.

Comment

Working...
                                X