Which Celestion G12H30 Speaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Celestion G12H30 Speaker?

Greetings ~ Curious to know where this EVH labeled G12H fits in to the lineup of 30w Greenbacks? Is it simply just another G12H-75 30 watter but with the EVH label, much as the 20w EVH is the same as a G12M Heritage 20 watter? Thnks

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221002-195251_Reverb.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	6199594
    Attached Files

My understanding is the EVH is just the Heritage Series G12M that was rated 20w like the original Greenbacks from the 60's (no longer in production, however.). That one doesn't have the black cap - where did you get an EVH supposedly rated for 30w? (My understanding is there is no such thing as a 30w EVH speaker?)

The G12M's fabled 'brown tone' is characterised by a warm controlled low-end a rich vocal mid-range and a delicate detailed top-end.

Celestion G12 EVH - A guitar speaker based on the Heritage Series G12M Greenback and specially engineered for Eddie Van Halen's 5150-III signature amp.

Comment

G12H = Heavy Magnet
      G12M = Medium Magnet

The wattage will vary between different models and eras, though generally M models are lower wattage than H.

G12-EVH speaker is a 20watt G12M re-issue based on the classic '60s "greenback" sound.

Comment

There are some G12H EVH speakers loaded in the combos so that they can handle 50W. They are not for sale by themselves, but they definitely exist.

It's a 50W take on the G12H Anniversary. Check the cone on the cone. If it's 1777, it's the G12H Anni cone.

Comment

Celestion sometimes make OEM speakers with higher ratings than the originals. For instance, in the JVMC212 cabinets, the Heritage G12H is 80W and the Vintage 30 is 70W. I have no idea if there is actually any real difference to them or if they have simply been relabeled, and can actually handle more heat than you are given the impression of by the normal speakers.

Comment

I don't believe those speakers would be different. According to Celestion, ohms is a round estimate and power ratings are nominal RMS estimates. Ohms vary by frequency, so there's no such thing as an actual 8ohm or 16ohm speaker; and the watts is not an exact constant either. I learned this when I questioned them about why the Heritage G12Ms are 15ohm 20W while the regular were 16ohm and 25W. They told me the labelling is just because that's how they were labelled back in the day and it's essentially the same speaker though some of the material in either the cone or surround changes the sensitivity and response.

Are the G12H and V30s speakers actually labelled 70W and 80W?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
              Are the G12H and V30s speakers actually labelled 70W and 80W?
              Unfortunately my JVMC212 is in a different country than I am for the next few months, so I don't really have any way of telling.

Comment

Working...
              X