Mighty Plug Pro Headphone Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mighty Plug Pro Headphone Amp

I decided to grab one of these Mighty Plug Pro things. I was thinking it would be a great way to learn and practice whilst sparing my housemates from listening to the same songs and sections and drills over and over. That and my tube amp is not the most satisfying at night volume anyways.

It has 7 presets and a bunch of ok amp models and effects but you can tweak them, and save them how you want and even load your own IRs

I also looked at the mustang micro and the fender really sounds better on some models but you cant change much on it, not even gain levels for the amps, you just find a cleaner or dirtier amp model. It was actually a tough decision cuz I often use a few sounds and stick with them but i think in the long run it's more useful to maybe dial things in touch here and there and save.
    I kinda thought about one of those Boss Gt-1 or a Zoom G3 but those are kinda in a middle ground where they're not as good as more expensive units (would not mind a gt1000 core or headrush unit) but not that much better than what i hear from the nu x mighty plug pro demos for like up to 2x the price still and gotta deal with interfaces and power supply or ugh batteries lol

Haven't received it yet but looking forward to it. I'll post a review that hopefully will help anyone who was looking at these or similar...

Kinda nifty having that much in a headphone bug, if you've ever met someone in a parking lot to buy a guitar this seems like a great way to test it. Nice to not be tethered to something that needs a power supply

The Nux mighty plug pro mp-3 has a stupid name but really works well for me so far
    the sounds are passable for sure, for some reason all the stock cabs are set to no high cut and things sound very artificial. If you bring the high cut to like 5-7KHz it sounds a lot better. Better than modelers when I started in the early 2000s.
    The built in noise gate works ok, some of the delays and mods are stereo and sound pretty decent and easy to dial in.
    The app on my phone seems easy enough to use and there's a lot of decent effects and it the amp models sound a little nicer than i expected given some people's video reviews where maybe they didn't engage much or any high cut on the cab.

Good option or gift for anyone looking to not bother anyone while they guitar. Glad I got this instead of the mustang micro, which some people complained about not having a flexible enough eq section to suit them.
    Definitely happy for $109! Really fun cuz I don't have a room full of amps and effects but wanna play with some different stuff here and there.

Comment

I have the mustang micro. I don't miss the extra controls, as it's a practice amp essentially, but it also is a recording interface that's great for jotting down ideas. The little bits I've recorded with it sound phenomenal, especially considering the package it's coming from. Worth every penny.

I think that's the place it shines, too. It sounds natural and "real" on my earbuds. The reverbs are lush and tasty. I've not seen a demo of another headphone amp in the realm that sounds as good.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
      Originally posted by Securb
      The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

yeah this one also works great for usb recording, i'm glad tech has advanced this far where you can get good sounds quickly and easily for practice, low price point, portable, not changing batteries or being plugged into a wall, but you can hook it all up to a computer and record. It blows my mind.

I knew the mustang sounded better on the amp models and reverbs but
        you know i guess time will tell if I end up feeling like extra control is worth it on the Plug

Comment

I'm looking into the Mighty Plug, and I would love it if Fender added some app control like Nux did... That would be **** McGee.

EDIT: Well shoot, the ability to add IRs and such... Maybe I need to get one and compare it! Damn.

Second Edit: ordered one.
          Last edited by trevorus; 10-13-2022, 09:03 AM.
          ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...

Comment

I suppose they could be working on it, or worried that if you had a full featured mustang amp on the go available it would cannibalize a lot of their existing low wattage amp sales
            If fender had that deep editing like the nux I would have bought it for sure

Comment

Dang. OK, I’ve had it a couple days, and the out of the box sounds of the Fender are definitely better and less artificial. Some tweaking on the Mighty Plug, and you can get some crazy good sounds. The acoustic simulation is shockingly good. I haven’t loaded any third party IR’s yet, but that is next. Nice recommendation. My wallet hates you.

Comment

Yeah I haven't loaded any third party IR yet either but so far have been able to get a lot of mileage out of a few stock cabs and amps, mostly the Plexi and 800 and theres like a choptones t75 cab near the end of the list
                I'm happy that you can drag and drop fx order cuz you can make a big difference with stuff like compression and eq and where you put those and that's simulated well in the mighty plug

the spring reverb is not so impressive on the Plug so I usually find myself on plate or hall setting but

this things stupid useful for the price.

Comment

Working...
                X