NAD: Fender super sonic 22 watt head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD: Fender super sonic 22 watt head

Just got this new amp in yesterday and I'm impressed. I bought this amp because I didn't have an amp that does cleans really well and I didn't want just a pedal platform that I would have gotten from the other fender amps. The clean channel on this amp is the same as the deluxe reverb and it has a second fat voicing on the clean channel that ups the volume a bit and pushes the bass and mids a little for a sort of tweed sound. Then there is the "burn" channel with dual gain controls and a 3 band EQ with it's own volume and a master long spring reverb. It also has an effects loop and came with a four button footswitch. The clean channel sounds excellent both regular and fat voicings. The burn channel has the potential to be very pleasing. The first gain controls the amount of breakup and distortion and the second gain control adds compression, thickness and sustain according to fender but also adds some drive to the lower frequencies. With both gains cranked it's just a little bit under where I set my high gain amps normally, however I suspect this could change once the tubes are broken in. In any case an OD pedal would make sound glorious through this thing (on both channels). This is definitely going to be my amp I use for my ska/punk and classic rock. The four button footswitch allows you to switch between the channels and switch between voicings on the clean channel. You can also turn on and off the reverb and effects loop. The footswitch is built like a tank too. It also came with a 25ft. 7 pin cable for the footswitch and a cover for the amp and a speaker cable and of course the usual power cable. I see only potential in this amp and am very pleased. It has a pair of GT 6V6 power tubes and 3 12ax7 preamp tubes and 2 12at7 tubes for the reverb and something else that I'm not quite sure of.
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

It's not letting me upload photos.anyone else having this problem?
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Man I had the combo and it ruled but I scaled back my gear when I took a more steady but lower paying job and needed some cash
      I regret that sale as now they are even more expensive
      If you take it apart, watch that the ribbon cable from the PCB does not get chewed by the chassis loading it back in

the burn channel with the mids on 2 -2.5 is a close match to the mids of the first channel and can make switching channels feel more contiguous, or you can get a very thick sound with the mids all the way up

I like almost every sound on that amp. Little noisy on the gain channel but it's got some saturation for a fender.
      Reverb is not as lush as a deluxe reverb but when playing harder rock you don't need that anyways or

OMG it has a loop, how useful

What a cool amp. Congrats and enjoy

Comment

These always interested me. They seemed to get pretty good cleans, and were versatile on the gainy channel - what more do you want on an amp? What cab and speakers are you running yours with? I'd love to try one with a Jensen Blackbird.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          These always interested me. They seemed to get pretty good cleans, and were versatile on the gainy channel - what more do you want on an amp? What cab and speakers are you running yours with? I'd love to try one with a Jensen Blackbird.
          I'm running through my 2x12 with vintage 30's in it and it sounds great. I also have a Marshall 1x12 that I was planning on replacing the seventy 80 speaker in anyways so I was thinking about putting a speaker in there for a more 'american' sound for the cleans and running it either by itself or with both the vintage 30's but I'm not sure what speaker to go with I was thinking about a Celestion A type.... What do you think?

Comment

Sweet looking, (and sounding), amp.

As for images, I always use the "Upload Attachments" button, rather than the "image" button.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post

I'm running through my 2x12 with vintage 30's in it and it sounds great. I also have a Marshall 1x12 that I was planning on replacing the seventy 80 speaker in anyways so I was thinking about putting a speaker in there for a more 'american' sound for the cleans and running it either by itself or with both the vintage 30's but I'm not sure what speaker to go with I was thinking about a Celestion A type.... What do you think?
              I don't have any experience with the Celestion A type. . . but can wholeheartedly recommend the Eminence C. Rex as a great American sounding speaker that works well with V30s.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I don't have any experience with the Celestion A type. . . but can wholeheartedly recommend the Eminence C. Rex as a great American sounding speaker that works well with V30s.
                Amazing, something that I can actually agree with you on.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

It's not letting me upload photos.anyone else having this problem?
                  Try to add them as attachments, or use an image hosting site. The forum is actually better about photos now than it was a few months ago.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I had Seventy/80s in my open-back Fender Quad Reverb, they sounded cold and did not capture the original vibe of the amp. I put in Celestion A Types and the amp sounds beautiful. Not a knock on the Seventy/80s I moved them to my closed-back Fender FM412 cab and they sound fantastic with my M80 Pro head.

Comment

Working...
                    X