Switch from all tube rig to Hybrid Solid State amp switch initial feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch from all tube rig to Hybrid Solid State amp switch initial feedback

Gents, so my Rig was a Fender Deluxe 22W 1x12 Celestion G12-70 and Mesa MkV 35W driving a 2x12 V30 Cabinet in Stereo but I wasn't happy with the overall sound and feel, the Mesa MKV is an incredible overall amp but at the end of the day it wasn't adding a great deal of personality like the Deluxe was -but more just amplifying the signal and adding some powerful EQ shaping but not mojo..

So here's what I did, I substituted out the Mesa for an Origin Revival Drive pushing a solid state Class D Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170W.

So a Fender Deluxe 22W 1x12 Celestion G12-70and Origin RD/SD Powerstage 170W feeding the Celestion V30 2x12

Last night I played on stage with this and it was an overwhelming success in the new rig. Reminder that I am still mixing a Deluxe Reverb so my sound is a combo of Tube and SS power.

Here are the differences between the Origin/Powerstage combo and the Mesa MkV Tube:

Pros
    • Articulation in a band mix was off the charts better -My noodle was so much more present.
    • Clean tones were far superior
    • Overall sound was more intelligible -Guitar sound sat in the band mix better
    • Power stage and and origin are compact -so I dont have to lug a heavy head for shows -I even mounted the Sd Powerstage inside the back of my Deluxe!
    Cons
    • If you did an A/B comparison without a band -you would probably say the Mesa has a low end fullness that the Origin/Solid state Powerstage lacks -but in a band mix the power of the Mesa actually may not be an advantage -as the bass player and other guitar player are in that spectrum.
    • the Mesa MkV has so many feature like emulated speaker cabinet DI, effects loops, powerful graphic EQ etc etc
    • I think if you never played the 2 choices in a band context and just them solo at home to fill the room with sound -the Mesa would be the slight winner every time

Anyways, just wanted to say that the Seymour Duncan Powerstage is a winner for this type of strategy. The Mesa MkV is an incredible amp -but I just dont need it to get a great sound.
    Last edited by NegativeEase; 10-22-2022, 07:14 AM.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Here what the SD Powerstage looks like BTW

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
      Here what the SD Powerstage looks like BTW

And just FYI -its about the size of the larger sized RAT pedal

Comment

The Origin pedal looks like an amp factory in foot-sized stainless steel box. The PowerStage is supposed to be just clean power, so I assume we're really comparing the Mesa to the Origin here?

Comment

Yeah, the PowerStage excels at this kinda thing. Of course, you need either a preamp pedal or modeler, but through a guitar cab or full range speaker (if using a modeler), it is pretty awesome. I've used the PowerStage (200 & 700) before, but don't own one. It is on the list, though.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            The Origin pedal looks like an amp factory in foot-sized stainless steel box. The PowerStage is supposed to be just clean power, so I assume we're really comparing the Mesa to the Origin here?
            Comparing the combination of Origin RD and SD power stage to the Mesa -yes.

Yes, the Powerstage's job is clean reproduction and amplification -however I do boost the Mids and Lows using the powerstage EQ -so that puts it in the tone equation as well.
            Last edited by NegativeEase; 10-22-2022, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Yeah, the PowerStage excels at this kinda thing. Of course, you need either a preamp pedal or modeler, but through a guitar cab or full range speaker (if using a modeler), it is pretty awesome. I've used the PowerStage (200 & 700) before, but don't own one. It is on the list, though.
              Absolutely, the Powerstage on its own is lifeless on purpose. More importantly, it performs clean faithful reproduction of the input source and Im using it's EQ to boost the mids and lows a bit to make up for what the Mesa does in the power stage

Comment

I also evaluated a few others -including the Quilter Superblock US and Uk Versions....

Both were great in tone but just not enough power for moving a 2x12 effectively.

I think the quilter super block sweet spot would be moving a 1x12 or 1x10

Comment

Very nice, congrats. One day you may step to the dark side and just use a Helix.

Comment

Is the revival drive the only one of its kind or are there other fully customisable “amp in a box” pedals like it? O figure a pedal that perfectly mimics the front end of an amp going into Class D means you miss out on half the sound (try running from the fx send of your favourite tube head into class d power…) because this might be just what I need for my fly rig.
                    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                      Is the revival drive the only one of its kind or are there other fully customisable “amp in a box” pedals like it? O figure a pedal that perfectly mimics the front end of an amp going into Class D means you miss out on half the sound (try running from the fx send of your favourite tube head into class d power…) because this might be just what I need for my fly rig.
                      There’s a bazillion pedals that claim to be an “amp in a box” but the majority are glorified overdrives that need an amp behind. If you’re not into modeling you can look into things like Kingsley pedals, Orange Stamp terror, or the Ethos. If you’re open to modeling then there’s other options.

Comment

Interesting timing on this. I'm trying to decide how my HX Stomp is going to be amplified, and the Powerstage is definitely one of the possibilities. I'd love to hear anybody's experience comparing it to a powered FRFR.
                        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post

There’s a bazillion pedals that claim to be an “amp in a box” but the majority are glorified overdrives that need an amp behind. If you’re not into modeling you can look into things like Kingsley pedals, Orange Stamp terror, or the Ethos. If you’re open to modeling then there’s other options.
                          That’s what I mean. Are there any others as comprehensive as the Origin? Digital doesn’t play nice with my favourite custom OD.
                          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post

That’s what I mean. Are there any others as comprehensive as the Origin? Digital doesn’t play nice with my favourite custom OD.
                            The Origin is head spinning in customizabily for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                              Very nice, congrats. One day you may step to the dark side and just use a Helix.
                              Damn you Billie!

Comment

Working...
                              X