X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crooked tubes?

It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

I got a set of replacement power tubes in today and they're crooked. One is just very slightly crooked and the other one is more noticeable. Is it normal to sometimes get tubes like this? When I say crooked I mean the glass tube isn't coming straight up from the base it's kind of rising at an angle. Would this affect the usability? What would you do if you got a tube or a set like this.
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Never really noticed something like that myself. Could be how the glass in that particular batch was blown...maybe a QC issue. As long as it's properly sealed, should be fine I would think?

Comment

What you expect from a Slovak ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post
          I got a set of replacement power tubes in today and they're crooked. One is just very slightly crooked and the other one is more noticeable. Is it normal to sometimes get tubes like this? When I say crooked I mean the glass tube isn't coming straight up from the base it's kind of rising at an angle. Would this affect the usability? What would you do if you got a tube or a set like this.
          It's rare, but happens. I have a 1960's RCA blackplate 12AX7 that is freaking stellar sounding, but the pins come out of the base at an angle just like your power tubes. I would test it (if you have a tester) or just try it and see if it's working without issues. If it works, it works.

The fact that there's an Apex matching sticker on it tells me it passed and is working fine. I would just use it.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
            What you expect from a Slovak ?
            I'm not sure, but unfortunately, prejudice is what I've come to expect from you.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post

I'm not sure, but unfortunately, prejudice is what I've come to expect from you.
              Then you're wrong. Hate the message not the messenger.
              JJ Electronics has the worst [has never changed] QC of any company ive ever seen.
              They pay their employees in bags of rice & Vodka, not kidding i took a factory tour.
              A bent or off center glass envelope is a distinct sign substandard manufacturing and piss poor QC.
              They will ship anything out the door.
              Ive never seen a bent Blackburn Mullard in the last 55 years.
              Last edited by JMP/HBE; 10-26-2022, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Hey Mike, no big deal -they are fine to use if they passed QC -then the basepins have the correct seal into the shell.

Shouldn't be an issue -
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Nice to know, except my pins coming out of the bottom aren't crooked just the glass tube rising up from the base. But your right it's been apex matched and burned in so it's probably alright. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Some girls actually prefer bent tubes.

Comment

I just sent a picture of the tubes to the retailer I got them from and they set up a return for me with free return shipping. They seem to have great customer service at tubesandmore.com I've gotten a couple sets from them with no problem until now and they were sincere about replacing the tubes. Pretty good prices too. But I'm going to get another matched set in exchange for the crooked ones. The retailer agreed that was a pretty extreme example to leave the factory. The reason I didn't keep them is that I realized my sockets are kinda close together and I didn't want the tubes touching or to be too close.

Comment

Good call, I'd be concerned about them heating other components excessively in a tight amp enclosure more than anything else.

Free replacements seems like a better alternative imho.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post
                          I just sent a picture of the tubes to the retailer I got them from and they set up a return for me with free return shipping. They seem to have great customer service at tubesandmore.com I've gotten a couple sets from them with no problem until now and they were sincere about replacing the tubes. Pretty good prices too. But I'm going to get another matched set in exchange for the crooked ones. The retailer agreed that was a pretty extreme example to leave the factory. The reason I didn't keep them is that I realized my sockets are kinda close together and I didn't want the tubes touching or to be too close.
                          That is good of them to exchange. Perfect isn't needed but those were a little much IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                            Some girls actually prefer bent tubes.
                            There it is.... I thought I should read through all of these before I posted something. Ha ha ha ha.
                            https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

I got a set off eBay that has one rather bent tube as well, I've never put them in anything yet because I didn't know if it was a good idea or not.
                              https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Working...
                              X