Changing speaker ohms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing speaker ohms

I'm wanting to change the speaker in my Marshall mx112r 1x12 cab and it's currently got a 16 ohm seventy 80 in it and I'm want to put in a 8 ohm speaker in the cabinet. Is it as simple as replacing the speaker with a different one or is it more complicated than that to put in a speaker with a different ohm resistance? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I've never done this before. Thanks for any help on this matter.
    Last edited by Mikelamury; 10-30-2022, 02:40 PM.
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

You should replace the speaker with the same ohm reading. You can get away with using speakers with different ohms on solid state but not tube amplifiers.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
      You should replace the speaker with the same ohm reading. You can get away with using speakers with different ohms on solid state but not tube amplifiers.
      Is it not possible to replace the speaker in the cabinet with a different ohm speaker? I can plug it into the correct ohm jack on the amp. To clarify I'm asking about changing the speaker in a cab not an amp. Thanks for the response.
      But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
        MX112R is just a cabinet. He can replace with an 8ohm speaker as long as he matches it with the impedance selector (or matching output jack) on the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post

MX112R is just a cabinet. He can replace with an 8ohm speaker as long as he matches it with the impedance selector (or matching output jack) on the amp.
          Yes, he can put whatever ohm speaker he wants in a cab. But he should still keep in mind what ohms the amplifier can run at and whether the speaker is being run alone, series, or parallel with another speaker. https://www.bustedgear.com/faq_Speaker_wiring.htm

Comment

The answer being "as long as you match the impedance of the output of the amp".
            Just remember, an 8ohm speaker isn't as tight as a 16 ohm.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Just make sure and write the new ohms on the back of the cab. Just use a piece of duct tape to cover the old label and write on that.

Comment

Why do you want to go to an 8 ohm?

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post

Probably because he already has an extra 8ohm speaker laying around. (?)

Comment

Because the 16-ohm is a Seventy 80.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post

I want to put in an 8 ohm speaker so I can hook it up to my other cab (2x12 v30's) which passes 8 ohms to the other cab and my fender amp I just got only passes 8 ohms.

Comment

huh?

two 8 ohm cabs in parallel are 4 ohms.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          huh?

I asked Harley Benton who made the can and they said that the through jack on my 2x12 cab will pass 8 ohms to the cab it is hooked up to.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            huh?

If this is not true I can still hook the 1x12 up to the other speaker jack on the amp but I'd like to know before I try hooking the 2cabs up. What would happen if you hooked up a speaker with the wrong ohm resistance?

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                              Because the 16-ohm is a Seventy 80.
                              I like the 70/80.

Comment

Working...
                              X