Changing speaker ohms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post

I asked Harley Benton who made the can and they said that the through jack on my 2x12 cab will pass 8 ohms to the cab it is hooked up to.
    I don't think you are understanding the whole ohms thing. Ohms don't get "passed" they are the impedance of the speaker(s) (we can call it resistance for simplification but it is technically impedance).

If you amp is rated at 8 ohms minimum, you can use 1X 8 ohm cab or 2X 16 ohm cabs in parallel. The jacks on the amp are paralleled. Making your 1-12 cabinet 8 ohms and using it with another 8 ohm cab will be an impedance of 4 ohms, which means the amp will try to supply more current, which could potentially overheat the output transformer and/or damage the output tubes. If you want to use both speaker jacks on the SuperSonic, you need 2 16 ohm cabinets.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      I like the 70/80.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
      I'm not saying it's a bad speaker, it has an very deep low end but it is just not for me but I can see them working for someone playing a more aggressive style of music or down tuned metal.
      It's funny how some stories became historic,
      especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
      But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

2X 8 ohm cabinets is 4 ohms, unless they are hooked up in series, then it would be 16 ohms, but that usually requires some special cabling. Can you send a link to the 2-12 cabinet in question?

But yes, the cabinet will pass a signal through, but the TOTAL impedance won't be 8 ohms after it is hooked to something else.

Also note that it won't split the power equally to the speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
          2X 8 ohm cabinets is 4 ohms, unless they are hooked up in series, then it would be 16 ohms, but that usually requires some special cabling. Can you send a link to the 2-12 cabinet in question?

But yes, the cabinet will pass a signal through, but the TOTAL impedance won't be 8 ohms after it is hooked to something else.

I was wording that incorrectly, I understand the ohms are resistance what I meant by passing ohms is that Harley Benton said that the through jack on the 2x12cab(which is 8ohms) would pass a signal needing 8 ohms of resistance.is this not true? I was misunderstanding the speaker jacks on the amp thanks for pointing that out. That seems weird that one jack is 8ohms but if I plug into the other jack it makes both jacks have 16 ohms of resistance? Am I understanding you correctly? Thanks for clarifying this for me as I was not clear on this subject myself.
          But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Equipped with: 2 x 12" Celestion Vintage 30 | Power rating: 120 W | Impedance: 8 Ohm | 18 mm Poplar plywood housing | Made with black Tolex | Decorative strips | Dimensions (W x H x D): 49.5 x 65.8 x 35.5 - 29.5 cm | Weight: 24 kg

Thanks for helping me to understand this it doesn't give much info on the website so I sent an email to them asking about the through jack and got the reply in really broken English so Im not surprised if they were incorrect or mistaken.

Comment

Yes, you can plug the INPUT jack to the amp, and use the THROUGH jack to go to another cabinet, I am 99.9% sure that is a parallel connection, so when you plug into another 8 ohm cab you have a total impedance of 4 ohms, which is too low for your Super Sonic 22.

Comment

Yes, you can plug the INPUT jack to the amp, and use the THROUGH jack to go to another cabinet, I am 99.9% sure that is a parallel connection, so when you plug into another 8 ohm cab you have a total impedance of 4 ohms, which is too low for your Super Sonic 22.
                Ok thanks for the help with that do it's looking like I might not be able to hook both cabs up together but I guess I can use them separately or maybe replace one of the v30's with the A type...

Comment

Yes, or no, you can't use both cabinets together.

Comment

if the two v30s are 16ohms wired parallel, which is what i would assume for a 8ohm 2x12 cab, you cant just swap the 8 ohm speaker in without changing the impedance of the cab

Comment

I missed that, no, you can't put an 8 ohm speaker in parallel with a 16 ohm speaker in the cabinet.

Comment

well, you can, but it wont be the same impedance. almost any time you mix two cabs, you are always doing so in parallel wiring. within one cab, you can have series or parallel wiring. you need to understand how mixing impedance, whether its two speakers, or two cabs, works before going any further to save yourself some frustration

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          well, you can, but it wont be the same impedance. almost any time you mix two cabs, you are always doing so in parallel wiring. within one cab, you can have series or parallel wiring. you need to understand how mixing impedance, whether its two speakers, or two cabs, works before going any further to save yourself some frustration
                          I was assuming that the 2 v30's we're both 8 ohm but I'm not sure I will find out. So is it not possible to have 2 8 ohm speakers in a cab needing 8 ohms of resistance from the amp?

Comment

correct. 8 + 8 can either be 16 ohms (in series) or 4 ohms (in parallel). you can mix an 8 ohm speaker with a 16 ohm speaker in a cab but you end up with an impedance that is outside of what amps usually want to see. doesnt mean it cant be done, but should be done with caution and understanding of what you are doing and how your amp will deal with it and how the mismatch will dictate how the speakers interact

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                              Probably best to stick to basics, no, it's not a good idea to mix impedances.

Yes, but it also splits the power to the speakers unevenly.
                              Last edited by devastone; 10-31-2022, 03:20 PM.

Comment

very true

Comment

Working...
                                X