Changing speaker ohms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by devastone View Post

Probably best to stick to basics, no, it's not a good idea to mix impedances.

Yes, but it also splits the power to the speakers unevenly.
    Your right. I'm beginning to understand how impedance/resistance works, I have a question how are the speakers usually wired in a 4x12 cab?
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

My Carvin 4x12 is wired series/parallel with 4 16ohm speakers, giving me a 16ohm cab.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        My Carvin 4x12 is wired series/parallel with 4 16ohm speakers, giving me a 16ohm cab.

Can you please explain how you get 16 ohms of resistance from the 4 speakers? What are the resistances of the 4 speakers? By series/parallel do you mean two are wired in series and 2 in parallel? Forgive me for all the questions I'm trying to get the math down for calculating total ohms or impedance.
        But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

As he said, the speakers are 16 ohms each. 2 sets of 2 are wired in parallel, so 2X 8 ohm loads, then those are wired in series to give a total of 16 ohms.

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws...tor/res_5.html

Comment

As he said, the speakers are 16 ohms each. 2 sets of 2 are wired in parallel, so 2X 8 ohm loads, then those are wired in series to give a total of 16 ohms.

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws...tor/res_5.html
            Thanks for the links that was very helpful of you. I saved those if I need to go back to them but I now have a better understanding of the matter. Thank you and everyone else that helped me to learn about this and answered the annoying newb questions there is a first for everything it's kind of embarrassing to not have learned this earlier as I've been playing since I was 14 but I've needed to connect speakers before as I used cheap SS combo practice amps for most of the time I've been playing i just recently was able to afford tube amps.

Comment

You can change the speaker cab to hold to whatever speaker and speaker impedance you want -but you want to see the options of the output of your amplifier feeding it to match that ideally -and that depends on how the transformer is tapped and broken out.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post

Can you please explain how you get 16 ohms of resistance from the 4 speakers? What are the resistances of the 4 speakers? By series/parallel do you mean two are wired in series and 2 in parallel? Forgive me for all the questions I'm trying to get the math down for calculating total ohms or impedance.
                Resistance is Ohms law baby!

Parallel:
                1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 . . . etc.

Series:
                Rtotal = R1 + R2 + R3 . . .

So with 4 16 ohm speakers you do this:

Parallel:
                1/R12 = 1/R1 + 1/R2
                1/R12 = 1/16 + 1/16 = 2/16 = 1/8

So we know the resistance of speaker 1 and 2 in parallel is 8 ohms.

Same equation works out to the same value for the resistance of speaker 3 and 4 in parallel - 8ohm

Then you wire the parallel speakers 1/2 and 3/4 in series with each other to get:
                Rtotal = R12 + R34
                Rtotal = 8 + 8
                Rtotal = 16 ohms

Simple!
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Yeah, 4 years of college and that is the most useful thing I have.

Comment

Yeah, 4 years of college and that is the most useful thing I have.
                    After my degree I know how to integrate, derivate, do matrix algebra, calculate heat and mass transfer, and use Laplace transforms . . . but almost the only thing I've applied in the real world is Ohms law. :P
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

16 Ohms from a 4x12 cab with four 16 Ohm speakers is quite common. The series/parallel thing sounds confusing, but it just means two pairs.
                      Two of the speakers are wired in series to give 32 Ohms impedance. The other two are wired the same.
                      Then the two 32 Ohm pairs are wired in parallel with each other to give an overall cabinet impedance of 16 Ohms.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

actually, i think its usually two 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel, then the two parallel sets wired in series but the end result is probably about the same.

its cool if you have the modern switching jack for a 4x12 and four 16ohm speakers. with two pairs of 16ohm speakers wired parallel, you can run each pair separately at 8ohms, or both pairs in series for 16ohms, or both pairs in parallel for 4 ohms. i used on of those plates with two 8ohm speakers so get the same options, just with two speakers instead of four

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

After my degree I know how to integrate, derivate, do matrix algebra, calculate heat and mass transfer, and use Laplace transforms . . . but almost the only thing I've applied in the real world is Ohms law. :P
                          I can still spell calculus, and I remember thinking integration and deviation wasn't that hard when I was learning it, but I haven't used it in decades, so I can no longer claim to "know" it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post

I have two pairs wired in series for 32 ohms. Then those pairs are wired parallel to each other, giving 16 ohms total impedance.

Comment

Either way works, end result is the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X