banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8 ohm speaker for amp that has a 2 ohm speaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 ohm speaker for amp that has a 2 ohm speaker?

I've got an old tube amp from the 50's or 60's, class A single el84 power tube so it's not very loud. I've been wondering if the (original) speaker in the combo is crap or not, and wanted to swap in one from my cab, but when I measure across the speaker terminals it seems like the speaker that's in there is 2 ohm (reads 1.6 on the multimeter). I've always understood that you can drive a higher impedance with an amp although it might sound quieter because it draws less power from the amp. Since it's such a low power amp to begin with though, would it even be able to drive the 8 ohm speaker?
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

I would connect the amp's speaker terminals to one of your cabs to see what kind of output you get. Also, it may be quiet because that speaker is faulty and out of the box was not 2 ohms. It might get louder with a different speaker.

Comment

with a ss amp, you can usually go higher impedance than it is rated without hurting anything, but youll get less volume. with a tube amp the speaker is linked to the output tubes through the transformer. in most cases you can get away with a slight impedance mismatch, 2 ohms to 8 ohms is a big jump but at low volume settings for a short period of time, it should be ok

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
        I would connect the amp's speaker terminals to one of your cabs to see what kind of output you get. Also, it may be quiet because that speaker is faulty and out of the box was not 2 ohms. It might get louder with a different speaker.
        Hmm. I just soldered the amp outputs to a jack, then connected to a cab. No sound at all. Soldered a jack onto the 2ohm speaker and plugged it into the new jack and it still is loud . . . but it's a 10" speaker that is super mid-rangey with no lows, so still kinda crap. :P

Weird. I'd have figured that some noise would come out of the 8 ohm cab.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

That is strange. How does the 2 ohm speaker sound with a different amp?

What is the brand and make of the amp? Pics?

Comment

I don't have an amp that can drive 2 ohms.

It's a Thorcraft Mustang. Weird old Canadian amp.

Looks like this:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	t0ng04a4zzlgboreudrs.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	6205099

Click image for larger version

Name:	abxdsc9vypzqvbxog8rr.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	6205098

Comment

Since it's a strange impedance you may want to have it reconed.

Comment

I could only find one speaker that might work for you and it is way too expensive for that amp. I would just play the hell out of it and try to get some funky fuzz-inspired lo-fi tones out of the amp.

Comment

Celestion makes 4 ohm 8 inch speakers so you could build a 2 x 8 cab. Otherwise there's little choice for 2 ohm speakers.

https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/rdsm1...hoCli4QAvD_BwE

Celestion Eight 15 - This 8 inch loudspeaker has well-balanced mids and highs with a meaty bottom end to bring extra depth, girth and punch to your tone
                  Last edited by idsnowdog; 11-07-2022, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X