NAD: Quilter Interblock 45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD: Quilter Interblock 45

I started playing just over a year ago with a buddy I've known in the arts scene for a while, and it was a good excuse to put my Line 6 Helix to the test in a gigging environment.

Rather than lug my Mark IV to use as a grossly overqualified poweramp, this palm-sized box puts out 44 watts into my 2x12 or 22 watts into a 4x12, still plenty loud for a rock band!

Testing it out as a real amp with pedals, I thought it was "ok", driving it hard it got gritty, and not to my taste.

The real gold for me though is plugging my Helix (and now Fractal FM9) into the FX loop return, where the Interblock is purely a cab volume control. It is transparent enough that I can get what I need and let the modeller do the heavy lifting!

Has anyone else tried these before? The only downside I see is the proprietary power supply but otherwise, it's excellent.

Sent from my SM-F926W using Tapatalk

• EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

I had the Quilter Interblock and superblock (Brit and UK) and tested them last month.

They sounded great in headphones, but at the end of the day none of them could really push a speaker like I prefer -especially closed back V30s.

So they are probably cool for jamming at home or using as a preamp and amp sim -not an amp itself.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
      I had the Quilter Interblock and superblock (Brit and UK) and tested them last month.

They sounded great in headphones, but at the end of the day none of them could really push a speaker like I prefer -especially closed back V30s.

So they are probably cool for jamming at home or using as a preamp and amp sim -not an amp itself.
      I haven't even tried the cab sim on the Quilter, figured any sim from either modeler would blow it out of the water!

Its only purpose for me is mini poweramp, and if I need more level to push my real speakers a bit (V30 and C90, great combo) I just crank the output level from the modeler.

It is really confusing to know how much to spend on amplification for these fancy modelers, seems like you could drop another $1000 on a powered FRFR or a high end rack mount Matrix feeding a real guitar cabinet.

I see this on other forums but has anyone here sprung for something like that?

Sent from my SM-F721W using Tapatalk

• G&L Tribute Comanche
      • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666 View Post
        I haven't even tried the cab sim on the Quilter, figured any sim from either modeler would blow it out of the water!

Its only purpose for me is mini poweramp, and if I need more level to push my real speakers a bit (V30 and C90, great combo) I just crank the output level from the modeler.

It is really confusing to know how much to spend on amplification for these fancy modelers, seems like you could drop another $1000 on a powered FRFR or a high end rack mount Matrix feeding a real guitar cabinet.

I just ordered a QSC K8.2 for my Fractal. It should get here tomorrow, so we'll see how it does.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666 View Post

Instead of Quilter and a few others, I bought the Duncan Powerstage 170 and am feeding from and existing pre amp voicing pedal I had and feeding V30 cab. Which was much better for live due to the power available.

Recording and Headphones? Quilter or this would be fine and more a preference choice of tones not an overall qualitative choice of a speaker cabinet sounding full.

Last edited by NegativeEase; 11-09-2022, 02:21 PM.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

i dont know if i could get away with 44w. i have an old crate power block, got it when it came out, that can be 150w into 8 ohms, or stereo 75w into 4 ohms, so id assume that about 40w into 8 ohms stereo. its kinda first gen class d stuff but its been a great utility tool

Comment

I've never tried one of these, but if it's working for you, that's all that matters!

Really cool to be able to reserve "real estate" for the fancy noisemaker and be able to amplify the sound you like with such a small unit

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                i dont know if i could get away with 44w. i have an old crate power block, got it when it came out, that can be 150w into 8 ohms, or stereo 75w into 4 ohms, so id assume that about 40w into 8 ohms stereo. its kinda first gen class d stuff but its been a great utility tool
                I remember seeing ads in Guitar World and having no idea what it could possibly be used for. The idea of this little block replacing my tube amp was laughable!

Would you say the 44w might not give you the juicy speaker drive you like? Genuinely curious, of course nothing beats cranking a real amp up loud and that's definitely juicy

• G&L Tribute Comanche

Comment

The difference between a 50-watt amplifier with a 100-watt amplifier is only 3db.

44 Watts is plenty in terms of volume, I guess it;s more a matter of tone preference ie whether you like headroom in the speaker or not.

Comment

That 3db difference is felt most in the low end.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X