So, Amps & Cabs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, Amps & Cabs...

A thing I have been doing with my POD Go is auditioning cabs. Now, playing for reals, I just use the "obvious" cab and adjust the EQ to taste. No problem finding a sound I like.

That said, since this thing is Helix based and current technology, and I know that cab sims are a thing, I decided to scroll through a bunch of cabs.

OMG - what a freaking difference they make!!!!!!

Now, I don't know about real vs the IR's in here, but I have to assume that they are decent otherwise the haters would be hating. I notice that I find myself attracted to the 4x12 Park 75 G12 H30. I would have thought I'd be a fan of the 4x12 1960 T75 - but I find it a bit muffled and dark! (Could be my old ears....). I've played them for real a ton. That said - I get why it might be an awesome cab for my real Mesa Stiletto. The amp is bright. That cab might really make it sound seriously balanced.

There are also a bunch of Mic sims too! This is NOT gonna be a good thing. If this is anything close to reality, I'm gonna be going through a speaker swap phase real soon!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

I don't know if the POD Go can load aftermarket IRs, but even with the stock ones, that is a huge rabbit hole to go down. They can really transform any amp sound.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It can indeed add aftermarket ones. I'm gonna be years figuring out the ones it has

With each cab, you get to select:
      Mic - 16 different ones
      Distance - 1-12"
      Low Cut/High Cut
      Early Reflection Amount
      Level (for more or less volume)

There are 11 4x12's, and 8 2x12's

I'll be fine for a long long time....

Comment

I don't know if the Pod Go gets the same updates as the Helix line but they just released the 3.50 update for the Helix line that added a new cab engine and 24 more new cabs. I'm not a fan of the amp/cab modeling on the Helix so I haven't did the update on my HX Stomp yet. I need to do it though just to keep it all up to date. ugh

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. 80's View Post
          I don't know if the Pod Go gets the same updates as the Helix line but they just released the 3.50 update for the Helix line that added a new cab engine and 24 more new cabs. I'm not a fan of the amp/cab modeling on the Helix so I haven't did the update on my HX Stomp yet. I need to do it though just to keep it all up to date. ugh
          I was thinking the same thing - don't think that applies to the Pod GO but it makes me want to rejig the presets I spent time making.

Aceman glad you are enjoying the tinkering there! It will be easy to fall down the cab dimension but you might fall in love too!

Sent from my SM-F721W using Tapatalk

• EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
          • G&L Tribute Comanche
          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I'm thinking it will save me a lot of time and money in the real world!

Comment

When auditioning IRs at home, only do a few at a time. It can be a huge time suck, and after a while ears get tired. Besides speaker cabs, you can load IRs of acoustic guitars, too- to enhance the sound of an acoustic or to make an electric sound more like an acoustic.

Comment

I really like Celestion’s “ac/dc” speaker impusles. Used it on a recording and worked well.

Celestion G12M Greenback Impulse Responses – Unlock the sweet, saturated guitar tones that defined 70s rock music, with this sonically faithful digital IR
                Last edited by DankStar; 11-08-2022, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  When auditioning IRs at home, only do a few at a time. It can be a huge time suck, and after a while ears get tired. Besides speaker cabs, you can load IRs of acoustic guitars, too- to enhance the sound of an acoustic or to make an electric sound more like an acoustic.
                  Right now I'm blasting through a few pretty quickly and going with what I like best.

But yes - ear fatigue is a thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    I'm thinking it will save me a lot of time and money in the real world!
                    I'm thinking that it's going to send you down a rabbit hole that will make "Mulitverse of Madness" look like an episode of the Teletubbies.
                    Post clips.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

The new cabinets in Helix 3.50 are an enormous improvement. Also highly recommend checking out the new Dynamic Ambience reverb, it's very popular with headphone users. Hopefully it all comes to POD Go! And hopefully they finish shooting the cabs & speakers that don't have new versions, like the Matchless G12M25 & G12H30 2x12, the Hiwatt 4x12 with Fanes, Fender Champ 8", Valco Supro 6"x9", and the Gibson Field Coil 1x12".

The built-in cabs are a bit uneven. There used to be some issues with too much fizz from insufficient oversampling/filtering in some amps, but since that's been fixed, I find the default low pass filter settings excessive. I generally disable them, only use at all if necessary. Still, it's possible to get great results, especially by combining different cabinets & microphones. I love the low end punch & bark of a G12H30, particularly in a closed cabinet. Great with a Marshall with bass backed off so it's neither thin nor uncontrolled bass. That applies both in real world & in models, so they are at least that realistic.

The G12T-75 does sound a lot better to me in the new cabinet system, in particular. Never been a fan, but I can see applications, especially combining with a more midrangy speaker cab. G12T-75 for bass & bite, another Celestion for roar.

Both the legacy cabinets and the new cabinets are fundamentally IRs (though there's some realtime DSP processing to save storage space on the old). But even the old cabinets, if you play with settings you can often find great tones. https://www.youtube.com/c/thebishopgame/videos has some good videos demonstrating the Helix old cabinets keeping up just fine.

The newer cab system is a lot easier to find a tone you like, and can pull off mic techniques like the Fredman technique (though with some work to get there, and some approximations since it doesn't have a 55 degree mic angle option, only 0 and 45 degree). Mic distance adjustable in 1/4" steps, mic position from 0.0 at center to 10.0 at edge, with it switching to tell you when you are at center, edge of dust cap, and edge of cone, and being able to drag mic position in pseudo-3d graphic instead of adjusting sliders independently is a nice option. The ability to pan each speaker, and adjust delay (down to 0.02ms resolution for the shortest part of the range!) for each is great in the dual cabinet.

I still have patches that I love IRs for, because I'm doing silly tricks in a kitchen sink patch with a ridiculous effects chain sprawling across all the paths. A P12R open back 1x12 for sparkly cleans, a brightly miced Celestion Creamback open back 2x12 for light distortion, a more mid-ranged focus Creamback for smooth higher gain, a Twin C12N 2x12 for heavily effected cleans, and a Vibroverb 15" IR for the fuzz snapshots. Can't do all that in one patch with cab models! And there are obscure cabinets & speakers that are unlikely to be shot by Line 6, at least anytime soon. So good reason to have IRs around if you like any oddball cabinet/speaker combinations. Like EV SRO, or Eminence Swamp Thang, Weber Dire Wolf or Black Shuck, or Fane's other speakers, so many varied alnico and ceramic variations of classic CTS & Jensen 10 & 12" speakers...

I don't see a lot of need for IRs for most speaker cabinet combinations already in the Line 6 cabinet system. Obscure stuff, or any you find dissatisfying compared to a real cabinet, or tone match IRs... IRs are fantastic, but not needed to get a lot of popular sounds.

Comment

I have an HX Effects, so the new update only added a few effects for me. But my Helix friends love it. That's the other thing- once you install the software, it checks if any updates are available. L6 updates generally trickle down, so once the big ticket stuff is updated, the rest of the line gets updated soon after. Updates include better CPU optimization, new effects, new amps and cabs and are always worth keeping on top of.

Comment

​​​​​​In ancient Rome
                          There was a poem
                          About a dog
                          Who found two bones
                          He picked at one
                          He licked the other
                          He went in circles
                          He dropped dead
                          Freedom of choice
                          Is what you got
                          Freedom from choice
                          Is what you want
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Now, I don't know about real vs the IR's in here, but I have to assume that they are decent otherwise the haters would be hating. I notice that I find myself attracted to the 4x12 Park 75 G12 H30. I would have thought I'd be a fan of the 4x12 1960 T75 - but I find it a bit muffled and dark! (Could be my old ears....). I've played them for real a ton. That said - I get why it might be an awesome cab for my real Mesa Stiletto. The amp is bright. That cab might really make it sound seriously balanced.
                            This has me wondering how many people make physical purchases based on IRs they play. How happy they are with the purchase? Is this the direction we are going with gear purchases? Try it digitally then buy it physically?

Comment

The thing with IRs is the mic and equipment and software with how it was created affect the result. The IR could be listed as one thing (whatever it originally was physically), but in the end actually sound like something else you have experience with. You just have to try them and find the ones closest to the sound you are trying to make.

Comment

Working...
                              X