banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My early 70s Fender Super Reverb has the best Factory Speakers but its a DOG!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My early 70s Fender Super Reverb has the best Factory Speakers but its a DOG!

It been to the Amp doctors all three of them locally so far -- this Super Reverb still its a mess -- it just sounds all wrong! -- I

played thru friends Supers all my Life - Mine has awesome speakers CTS ALNICO all in primo shape- sounds good with other

Amps plugged into this cab. -- So I say it's time to take a trip to LA and drop it off at--> https://www.fazioelectric.com/ -- I will take

to this woman in Los Angeles -- I have watched her YouTube Amp repairs -- I have a good feeling she will find whats been

dogging this amp -- check out her YouTubes -- shes really a great amp-tech!
    Last edited by Don Mare; 11-13-2022, 06:55 PM.

What's going on with it? Does it sound wrong?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I recommend the new neodymium Jensen Tornados as used in Fender George Benson Twin Reverb. They have exceptional clarity and punch, and weigh a few pounds less as a bonus. A pal put a pair in his 1977 Ampeg VT-22, and it made a big and pleasing difference.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        What's going on with it? Does it sound wrong?
        thx.. I really wished I knew...-- quote["it just sounds all wrong! --"]quote

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          I recommend the new neodymium Jensen Tornados as used in Fender George Benson Twin Reverb. They have exceptional clarity and punch, and weigh a few pounds less as a bonus. A pal put a pair in his 1977 Ampeg VT-22, and it made a big and pleasing difference.
          I love these speakers every amp I plug them into is amazing even Quilter Heads

- Something is wrong inside the HEAD - my best Tech got old and has a new garage -

he cannot plug and play amps - he uses the scope -

so far it has not been in my FAVOR on 3- different amps - so I have to let him go -

I need a new Tech ASAP ??? anyone ???

Los Angeles/Long Beach/ Orange County /South Bay

these towns are all within reach

Comment

There's gotta be good techs in that area, I am guessing.

Comment

Not meant as a slight but every Fender amp ive ever owned / played has been a dog especially the Silverfaces that is if you're going for an overdriven rock tone.
              Never understood the appeal / hype even the Bassman.
              I had a Silverface twin that had nice cleans but weighed 90 lbs i swear as much as a 4x12. Felt like my knees would come apart carrying it.

Comment

my experience is almost the opposite, though a twin reverb still isnt my favorite amp. tweed, brown, and bf reverb amps can sound fantastic for an overdriven rock tone. obviously that is subjective. i say bf reverb amps since the vibrato channel has three gain stages instead of two. on a tweed or brown amp, you can get away with two since the tone stack has much less loss. speakers make a big difference and plenty of stock fender speakers over the years were ok at best, there were some that were great. the early sf amps are usually about the same as the bf amps, the later ones tend to be more hit or miss

Comment

Super reverb has 2 Ohm output = designed to have four speakers wired in parallel.
                  Seems a bit odd that other amps that typically have 8 Ohm out would sound good plugged into a two Ohm cab.

Comment

I've used an early 70s Pro Reverb that, with an overdrive pedal, had the best rock sound I had ever heard.

Comment

Welp~ here is the BACK STORY:

it was heavily modded by a Pedal Maker - had knobs all over the front and back - I paid to have it returned to "Blackface" stock

So then I took it to the best Amp guy we ever have had here - just to get it all double checked -

This amp was $700 all the Techs were $400 total I'm in it $1,100.00 not ready to give up

My tech has had Heart attacks and has moved and does not plug in amps at home any more -

Out of the three he fixed latley - they all came back with noises and strange stuff and LAme sound -

I forgive him - hes not the same - TIME does that to us all! -

NOW I need a TECH/ GOD STATUS/ KING of SUPER REVERB's,

All in hope of finally owning a GREAT SUPER - this after wanting one for 22- long ~~~ years !

I will pray HARDER NOW to the TONE GODS

AGAIN the speakers are FINE its the HEAD that's the "BIZARO-JERRY" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc_f-0DCGI0
                      Last edited by Don Mare; 11-13-2022, 06:57 PM.

Comment

id guess that if it was significantly messed with, id assume whoever blackfaced it would have fixed the issues. was your old tech the one who did that? there isnt anything secret about fender reverb amps so id think someone who knows what they are doing should be able to get it patched back together and sounding good

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          id guess that if it was significantly messed with, id assume whoever blackfaced it would have fixed the issues. was your old tech the one who did that? there isnt anything secret about fender reverb amps so id think someone who knows what they are doing should be able to get it patched back together and sounding good
                          a intermediate Tech returned it to Blackface - the old guy checked his work and caught a few small details and fixed it - its going to FAZIO Amp Repair in Los Angeles come 3 rd week of January - "She" I am positive will find all the culprits - she was taught by the best in Hollywood- https://www.youtube.com/c/FazioElectric

Comment

ive heard of her, good stuff. hopefully she can get it all fixed up for ya. ive been using a '66 deluxe reverb as my main amp for a long time, have a '66 pro reverb as well if i need something bigger, and a 'blackfaced '69 dual showman reverb if i need something really big. your super should sound great when its working right!

Comment

Working...
                            X