Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Fender Pro-Sonic for high gain tones

Hi all,
    So recently I purchased one of those little Fender Mini Tonemaster amps so I could check my wiring at the kitchen table without having to get a real amp.

Of course, the thing is a toy that doesn't sound all that great (but better than a Marshall MS2!). But it at least verifies the pickups are working.

This got me thinking. Back in the day (99-00) when I was a student at GIT we used what I think were Fender Pro-Sonics in the P-100 theater. The high gain tones were actually not that bad. I have some cassette recordings from that time and we did early Iron Maiden and 90s Metallica no problem (Load/Reload because it was easier for me as I was a beginner at the time).

Back then I think Musicians Institute had a deal with Fender to outfit all the rooms in the building with amps (Carvin might have had the mixers/live sound equipment contract at the time).

Most of the Fender amps were solid state because students had a tendency to leave amps on overnight and burn up tubes. Solid state amps were much more reliable and could take abuse and/or even theft (they were chained to the floor) without much loss.

The solid state amps (I think they were Fender Princeton Choruses with black knobs) needed a boost in the front to sound decent. The Princeton's clean tones weren't bad, but, like my friend's old Fender Stage Lead II from 1981 or so, they sounded better as clean power amps or even as bass amps than as a distortion head.

But the Pro-Sonic left an impression on me. I don't even know what the settings were (I was 18 or 19 at the time and had only started playing at 15). RIT students would set up live sound and tone, so we basically let everyone from the various schools do their thing and it would come together at each weekend's live playing workshop (LPW) in the P-100.

The pace at the school was brutal but it was a lot of fun and the most I have ever learned in just one year.

Years later in 2014 when I did a Judas Priest cover I wanted something that sounded vintage (mid-late 70s "Stained Class" era) but could do high gain tones well--power amp and speaker distortion instead of preamp distortion, I suppose.

I think one side of the mix got a Marshall JTM-45. I couldn't find a Pro-Sonic plugin, but I did find the Super Sonic, which I think is a continuation of the Pro-Sonic, in Amplitube 4 or so. This was when Amplitube had the official Fender license. And the Super-Sonics didn't sound bad either.

As a kid, prior to the EVH III head, I hated Fender amps. I knew the Mesa Mark I was derived from a Fender, but I didn't think Fender themselves knew how to do distortion. I thought their amps were old-fashioned. I didn't think they could do anything but clean tones, and even those were sterile. I even hated the combo amp format they were usually packaged in because I didn't like the idea of loud speakers potentially rattling and damaging tubes.

The Pro and Super Sonics stood out to me in that they were separate heads and cabs, and, again, prior to the EVH III, I'd say they were the best distorted sound Fender had.

Have any of you guys tried a Pro and/or Super-Sonic, and if you have, what were your impressions?

Thanks.

I've owned a Pro Sonic. Sold it a few years ago and regret it.

My guitar buddies and I drooled over the Prosonic when it showed up in a nearby shop.(late 1990s). My gripe was I didn't need a 60w amp and it was too loud to play around the house at that time. I always thought the Prosonic drive channel was fender's best till the bassbreaker line was released.
    Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

I have a solid-state Fender M80 Pro that does amazing 80s-style distortion. It also takes to pedals very well. People compliment me on the tone of that head all of the time and are blown away when I tell them I paid $125 for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
        Most of the Fender amps were solid state because students had a tendency to leave amps on overnight and burn up tubes. Solid state amps were much more reliable and could take abuse and/or even theft (they were chained to the floor) without much loss.
        Definitely the most metal thing of all time.

Comment

One of Bruce Zinkys amps while running the Fender Custom shop. Have owned many of them and love the amps. The head and the combo are voiced differently and these amps are face melters. Have had a number of long conversations with Bruce Zinky about these amps and at one point owned a one off 100 Watt Red Lizard head with reverb. That was a handbuilt Proseonic Tone Master Hybrid that Bruce gave to Brad Whitford. I bought it directly from Brad still had the property of Aerosmith inventory control sticker on the back.. Miss that amp badly. Really unique amps and IMO the very best high gain amp Fender ever built.
          Also owned a couple Super Sonics and they are not on the same planet as the Prosonic was.
          Not exactly high gain but I ran the Red 100 watt Prosonic on the guitar tracks here in the studio with one of my old bands. https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7804102

This was a black 60 watt normal Custom Shop Prosonic head at my old church with noting but an old Rockman delay in the loop.
          Last edited by Ascension; 11-21-2022, 08:27 PM.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

The Prosonic head is the best amp for gain in my opinion. It's not "modern" but it absolutely does high gain.
            Forget the Super Comic, it's laughable.

Comment

Notice the CR#, it's the cremation number, it's how many other amps my Prosonic has left in a flaming trail of devastation.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	pro2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	6207480

Name:	pro1 (2).jpg
Views:	174
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	6207481

Name:	pro3.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	6207482

Name:	pro4.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	6207483

Name:	pro5.jpg
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	6207484

Name:	pro6.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	6207485

Comment

Notice the CR#, it's the cremation number, it's how many other amps my Prosonic has left in a flaming trail of devastation.
                CR is the later "production " amp. the early real Custom shop Prosonics all have a LO prefix. To some this matters but I have never heard a difference or seen a difference in build quality in the production and real S CS amps myself. Have owned several of both in heads and combos including one of the 1/12 combos Bruce had personally built plus a 100 watt one off head with reverb.The LO prefix does seem to affect value however.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                X