Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson App: Unveils New Digital Amp

At least they think it is an amp. I would call it an app

That woman strumming the guitar is as bored by this announcement as I am.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

"Digital Amp"...how original

Also iOS only. Lame

Looks like it could be fun to mess around with, though. Not too technical. Like having a practice amp in your pocket.

Comment

This thing just got a lot more interesting. Supposedly you do not need a cable, the phone's mic picks up your guitar.

According to Gibson, the Digital Amp can be used without the need for any guitar cables, and Gibson App users can make the most of the virtual tones with just a pair of headphones.

Instead, the app listens to your playing via the mic on your iPhone/iPad, then amplifies the sound through the headphones applying whatever tone-tweaking tools have been selected on the way.

This is the same technology the app utilizes in order to provide its real-time feedback when players are engaged in lessons. Gibson also says players can connect their guitars with an audio interface to “get an improved sound”.

Comment

Yeah, I will have to try this before I pass judgement here. It sounds interesting, and it also sounds like it could be terrible.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My concern is that the mic's signal is converted to digital and then back to analog to the headphones. Most ADA conversion is iffy at best, and tracking issues, especially with bends, are prevalent.

Comment

I think that it's awesome that this mic option means you will be able to throw out all of your electric guitar's pickups and controls that you've carefully selected and are used to and instead use whatever rando/generic sounds Gibson has decided are good enough for you. :P
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

In their defense, Gibson is marketing this amp more as a toy than a tool. They said they are not targeting the professional musician with this amp, but some might find it useful. I think the app is being offered at cost or even a loss just to keep the Gibson name out there. I doubt they developed the application themselves. Most likely someone white-labeled it and slapped the Gibson name on it for a licensing fee.

Comment

Hopefully it's got the kind of warm, gooey, vintage-flavored latency that will have people seeking out NOS 2020s iPhones decades from now, just to run this software. You can model all the old technology you feel like, but if you want real flavor, you need real ingredients.
                  ​​​​​
                  Take it to the limit
                  Everybody to the limit
                  Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Working...
                  X