Mark v (90) Setting Sounds For Each Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark v (90) Setting Sounds For Each Channel

Hi Guys, I have a new Mesa Mark V 90 watt head runningthrough new Harley Benton 4x12 angled cab with factory Celestion Vintage 30's. I also have a Mesa Tremoverb that was my main amp for a lot of years.

I am going for:

Ch1: something nice & clean, sparkly clean to edge of breakup.

Ch2: Crunch and vintage low gain through mid gain and lower high end gain. AC/DC through 80's heavy metal. I would mainly use Ch2 and go for Marshall type of tones. Needs to have some beef and be able to cut through the mix with a band.

Ch3: Use for high gain solos/alternate high gain sound.
    Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
    Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
    2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
    1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
    Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
    Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
    Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

It's very difficult to suggest ideal settings for someone else. The settings of your amp need to work with your guitars, your pedals (if any are used), your playing style, and in the rooms that you're playing.

My suggestion would be to queue up some song examples of each sound you're going for on speakers next to the amp. Start with all the knobs at noon and then play around with your guitar and amp until you've got similar sounds happening - comparing regularly to the sound that you're aiming for to be sure you're not going off track.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

On a Mesa, reading the manual several times over is beneficial. A Fender or Marshall always sounds like those amps, but a Mesa has a lot of settings that might not be great. Remember to use your ears and not your eyes, on my Mesa the treble is always well under noon, where a Fender for me would be at 6.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

As PFDarkside said, the manual is you friend with the MkV. One thing I did when I got mine is watch the tone samples MESA released on YouTube, it provides some good starting points and then tweak from there. I've had my MkV for 10 years, and I still find new tones all the time.
        sigpic
        Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Tweaked some more on the Mark v head and Harley Benton G412A cab with the DigiTech RP360XP running through the loop for effects only and Solo boost on the pedal on the DigiTech and I'll try to post pictures I took of the settings I had it at before I tweaked it some more last night.

Attached Files
          Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Comment

Settings last night before I started tweaking the Mark V
            Attached Files

Comment

Settings after adjusting some more
              Attached Files

Comment

Honestly, I wouldn't even dream of having the bass knob high and the GEQ flat on a Mark's distorted channels, but each to his own.

There was a video where Petrucci goes through his settings on the Mark V. I thought his settings made sense.
                Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-18-2023, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charvel1975 View Post
                  Settings after adjusting some more
                  Oh, yeah. That's more like it!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                        Oh, yeah. That's more like it!
                        Yea those adjustments made a BIG difference and it was the first time I used the 5 band EQ which is on, on channels 1 and 3 and the preset EQ knob is used on channel 2.

Comment

Working...
                        X