Evh el34 50w users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evh el34 50w users?

I’m curious if anyone else has this amp and if they also think it’s sort of hit or miss. I am positive some days I turn it on and it sounds different. Most of the time the sound and tone is fine, maybe 8 out of 10 times it’s like this but 1 out of 10 it sounds pretty ****ty and the other 1 it sounds better than I could have hoped for. Well yesterday I had a **** day, I ended up playing with the knobs the whole time I played and switching guitars because it sounded bad. Really thin and lifeless. But today it sounds other worldly professional, crystal clear clarity on every channel no compression, even the red channel sounds very articulate and clear through monsterous amounts of gain. And the crazy part is I barely warmed it up today. I used to think that if I warmed it up for like 5+ minutes it would sound better. Today was 45 seconds to 1 minute tops. Anyone hear of this or think the same is true?

Most of the time it's your ears, not the amp.

Comment

My ears were broken today. My amp sounded terrible today. Sounded amazing yesterday. I’m still confused by this phenomenon.

Comment

Bad tubes?

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrodpimentals View Post
          I’m curious if anyone else has this amp and if they also think it’s sort of hit or miss. I am positive some days I turn it on and it sounds different. Most of the time the sound and tone is fine, maybe 8 out of 10 times it’s like this but 1 out of 10 it sounds pretty ****ty and the other 1 it sounds better than I could have hoped for. Well yesterday I had a **** day, I ended up playing with the knobs the whole time I played and switching guitars because it sounded bad. Really thin and lifeless. But today it sounds other worldly professional, crystal clear clarity on every channel no compression, even the red channel sounds very articulate and clear through monsterous amounts of gain. And the crazy part is I barely warmed it up today. I used to think that if I warmed it up for like 5+ minutes it would sound better. Today was 45 seconds to 1 minute tops. Anyone hear of this or think the same is true?
          Could be ear fatigue? I have the same amp played through 2 2x12 Orange cabs. Sounds fantastic! It even has a good clean channel

Could be wiring in the house as well? I don't know, man.

Comment

Ever try a dish and love it, and the second time you have it it's just sort of 'meh'? I seem to do that with tones-one day's 'brilliant highs' is the next day's 'brittle treble.' Even with digital stuff, where there really can't be a variation day-to-day, 'good tone' remains a moving target.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrodpimentals View Post
              My ears were broken today. My amp sounded terrible today. Sounded amazing yesterday. I’m still confused by this phenomenon.
              The drywall in your house reflects sound differently, depending on relative humidity.

Comment

It's all in your head. At least that's what I'm starting to believe after years of love/hate relationships with every piece of gear I've got. What really clinched it is I've done some recordings that sounded terrible when I was doing them, but that are some of my favourite tones listening the next day.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Well since I posted this I bought a 66$ speaker cable and my issue has gone away so far. Amp sounds perfect every time. Still could be the drywall I guess.

Comment

I had an amp that did this. It was a marshall jtm30. I bought it used but had it serviced by Andy Brauer, a notable LA amp tech. He made it sound great and took away any fears of the tubes frying the circuit board. BUT, even after his blessing, I swear the amp sounded different on different days. It drove me nuts. I liked it when it sounded good and hated it when it didn't. Due to the inconsistency I sold it.

Comment

very very interesting to hear. I do recall somewhere else in the inter webs someone mentioning this before. **** it. I’m going to email Howard Kaplan and ask him.

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                      I had an amp that did this. It was a marshall jtm30. I bought it used but had it serviced by Andy Brauer, a notable LA amp tech. He made it sound great and took away any fears of the tubes frying the circuit board. BUT, even after his blessing, I swear the amp sounded different on different days. It drove me nuts. I liked it when it sounded good and hated it when it didn't. Due to the inconsistency I sold it.

Comment

I have one with the 2x12 and a 4x12. It's been consistent for me. I didn't use the speaker cable it came with - I like the ProCo's I already had. Glad you got it sorted out!

Comment

Working...
                        X