4x12 cabinet wiring help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x12 cabinet wiring help?

I recently got this mid-2000s VHT Eminence 4x12. 16 ohm speakers, switchable between either 16 or 4 ohm mono and 8 ohm stereo. After playing through it for a while, I noticed some intermittent volume fluctuations and I traced the problem to the mono input jack on the cabinet. It looks like it's wired like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	marshall-cabinet-wiring-diagram-auto-electrical-wiring-diagram.jpg
Views:	2444
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	6211629

What I'd like to do for now, so I can keep playing, is swap over the jack from the other side (the one on the left in this photo) and hardwire it for 16 ohm mono-only operation, with the switch disconnected. I think what I need to do is what I've labeled below: 1 - disconnect the black and white wires on the left side of the left jack, leaving in place only the white wire coming from the pair of speakers to the positive terminal on that side; 2 - disconnect the black wire going from the other pair of speakers to the right jack, and move it over to the negative terminal on the left jack; 3 - disconnect the black and white wires from the center lugs of the switch and wire them together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Project-20221222013420.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	6211628

I think that will give me standard series/parallel wiring for 16 ohm mono operation. But I haven't done any wiring on guitar cabs before and I wanted to check myself before I wreck myself, or more likely, my amp. Does this look right to you folks? Is there anything else I should be aware of?
    Take it to the limit
    Everybody to the limit
    Come on Fhqwhgads

Update - I did the above things and it seems to have worked out great. Everything sounds good, no more volume fluctuations so far.
    Take it to the limit
    Everybody to the limit
    Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

glad things got sorted out!

Comment

Working...
      X