banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hate to say it, but I am not really diggin the AC15CC...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate to say it, but I am not really diggin the AC15CC...

It just seems cold and sterile to me. I CAN get some good tones out of it, but compared to other amps I have had this thing just seems to bright, raspy and sterile. Maybe it's just because I am such a 6V6 and 6L6 snob. This is my first Vox so it may just be that I am not a Vox guy too. The tones that I DO really dig are the snappy clean tones through P90s. I am not too bummed out since this isn't a super pricey amp. I have had several EL 84 based amps and love the sound of 84s so I know that isn't the issue. Oh well....just thought I would update yall.
    I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Re: I hate to say it, but I am not really diggin the AC15CC...

Er what speaker is in that thing?
    Not one of those terrible Wharfedales??

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
      Er what speaker is in that thing?
      The stock Vox speaker. Not the Blue Alnico.

Comment

Argh ok...that may be your trouble here.

Comment

Is it too late to exchange it? Most stores will let you do that, if it's only been a week or two. If not, you could sell it locally very easily for about $25 less than you paid.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I'm with you on that one. I had the CC head for a short while and it was okay through my cab, but it went back pretty quick.

Of course, I bought an old 60's or 70's AC15 a few years back, sounded trebly as hell. Was going to keep it but it died on me and I quickly took it back to GC.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
              Is it too late to exchange it? Most stores will let you do that, if it's only been a week or two. If not, you could sell it locally very easily for about $25 less than you paid.
              I'm sure I could exchange it. I would just feel really bad. The store I bought it from is a mom n pop store that I have been a looker and not a buyer for about two years now. I would feel terrible taking it back to a place where I have annoyed them and played their gear for two years. HAHA

Comment

Don't feel bad. Just exchange it for something that you'll find more useful.
                Maybe even a POD XT Pro or nice condenser mic.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                  Don't feel bad. Just exchange it for something that you'll find more useful.
                  Maybe even a POD XT Pro or nice condenser mic.
                  YUCK!! You don't know me very do ya? LOL! I have never been able to get into any of the modeling stuff!! Condenser mic maybe, but just can't do the modeling stuff!!

Comment

If you don't want to return the amp, definitely invest in some Celestion Alnico Blues, those are THE Vox sound... nothing else comes close. With poor speakers, you'll never get that jangle that Vox amps are known for.

For my 30w EL-84 amp, I'm waiting on an Eminence Red Fang to come in, which is a higher wattage (30w instead of 15w), slightly different speaker. Alnico Blues were made for 15w amps, so that combination should be perfect.
                    Originally posted by kevlar3000
                    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                    Originally posted by Zerberus
                    Better is often the enemy of good
                    Originally posted by ginormous
                    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Try the Crate Palomino series. We tested them back to back against a new Vox AC 30 CC and both the 16 and 32 blew the Vox away. We tested them with a John Mayer Strat, a 68 RI LP Custom, and a Taylor T5.
                      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

One very well respected producer I know told me once you need two amps in the studio, a Vox AC 30 and a Marshall. I love the Vox sound but it's not for everyone. I remember when I tried a AC15 back to back with an AC30 many years ago the 30 was the only thing I wanted.

The Palomino's rock!
                        Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                        Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
                          Try the Crate Palomino series. We tested them back to back against a new Vox AC 30 CC and both the 16 and 32 blew the Vox away. We tested them with a John Mayer Strat, a 68 RI LP Custom, and a Taylor T5.
                          Yea, I have to agree. Crate actually has decent sounding, low cost products with their Palomino V16 and V 32 amps. (aka Bedroom amps)
                          Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                          When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                          Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                          Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                          Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

i prefer the tone of the blues jr to that of the v16 but i think the v32 is a great little amp. throw a g12h in there with a good set of tubes and i bet it would be a killer sounding rig.

one of the best amps ive ever heard was an old blond ac15 with 2 alnico blues, not sure what if anything had been done to it but ive never heard one sound that nice since.

Comment

There's a rumor going around about the Rev. Billy G. and those Palomino 32's.

According to the rumor, the Rev plays 8 on stage cranked with the bass on full, the mids at the 12 o'clock position, and the treble at 0.
                              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X