Fender Hot Rod DeVille 4x10 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Hot Rod DeVille 4x10 review

A couple weeks ago, I posted that I needed to rent a decent three-channel amp for a gig. For various reasons, I decided on the HR DeVille.

Overall it was great. I played mainly classic rock-type tones with some SRV-style blues thrown in. For those sounds, it would be hard to find a better amp in that price range, especially one so versatile.

As far as I can tell, it's essentially a modernized version of the tweed Bassman circuit, with a couple of extra drive channels thrown in. There is a master EQ which is great for simplicity, but bad for versatility. For a rental amp, this was a big bonus because I didn't have to spend 90% of sound check trying to dial in my tone. I dialed up a good clean sound, then adjusted the gain levels for the two drive channels, and I was all set.

Clean is clearly this amp's strength, as is the case with pretty much every Fender amp. It definitely evokes the tone of the old Bassman. Gain sounded pretty much like you would expect: a hot-rodded Fender-y tone. It is not as tight a high gain sound as something like a Marshall, but if you want Marshall tone, you won't be buying this amp. The DeVille is for the player who loves the Fender clean, but needs some decent high gain tones to match it.

60 watts through 4 tens is about as much volume as you would need in most situations. I had the master volume up to 3 for the gig, which was in a medium-sized community hall (the amp was not miked), and it was plenty powerful (NOTE: the knobs go up to 12 on this amp, just like the tweed Fenders of yore). It sounded a lot bigger and fuller than the Hot Rod Deluxe I used to own, which is probably due to the big 4x10 cab. By the way, it's a pretty heavy amp, but certainly not heavier than a 4x12 cab.

The DeVille would be a great choice for a gigging blues and/or classic rock player who can't justify the expense of a half stack or a boutique combo. With some speaker changes, you could probably turn it into a killer amp, and I suspect there are plenty of mods available for this thing. Overall, very cool, and definitely worth the cash.
    Band: www.colouredanimal.com
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
    Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Re: Fender Hot Rod DeVille 4x10 review

Thanks for the review. I've played the BD many times and like it. Mick Taylor was using them when I saw him last and sounded great. Definitely a good buy for the money. I'm using an old Crate Vintage Club with EL84's and that's another good choice (along with the new Crate VFX5212 w/ EL 34's).

Do you find the 4X10 to be heavy? I've played the 2X12 version and the Crate is a 2X12. They both have some weight to them, so I figured the 4X10 would be pretty hefty unless it has wheels.

Jeff
    "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrec
      Thanks for the review. I've played the BD many times and like it. Mick Taylor was using them when I saw him last and sounded great. Definitely a good buy for the money. I'm using an old Crate Vintage Club with EL84's and that's another good choice (along with the new Crate VFX5212 w/ EL 34's).

Do you find the 4X10 to be heavy? I've played the 2X12 version and the Crate is a 2X12. They both have some weight to them, so I figured the 4X10 would be pretty hefty unless it has wheels.

Jeff
      Yeah, it's a very heavy amp. I was sick that day, and I got winded carrying it from the car to the stage. You can put casters on it though.
      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing
        Yeah, it's a very heavy amp. I was sick that day, and I got winded carrying it from the car to the stage. You can put casters on it though.
        I was thinking of that or getting a road case with wheels on the bottom. Lugging those boys into a gig or practice by hand is a pain even when you aren't under the weather

Enjoy the amp

Jeff
        "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Working...
        X