What kind of 6L6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of 6L6

Is there a difference, if so what? and how much is it worth. like, should I get JJs/SEDs for 30$ or sovteks/sinos for 20$. are 6L6, 5881, KT66, and 7027 just different names for the same thing? Help!!!
    I put those things there as a reminder not to put them there

Re: What kind of 6L6

You get what you pay for. JJ's are usually higher quality. I like the winged C 6L6G a lot too.

5881's and 7581's are pretty much interchangable with the 6L6. These are just industrial/military designations. The 5881 is a small bottle version. A KT66 is the electrical eqivilant to a 6L6, but a 6L6 isn't really the equal to the KT66 in tone or performance. The KT66 bottle is huge and ofton won't fit in an amp designed for regular 6L6 though.

The 7027 was not of the 6L6 family at all, more like a 6550, but not really the same as a 6550 either.

Comment

5881 is a ruggedized military version of the 6L6...
      KT66 ('kinkless tetrode') is a heavy duty British equivalent 6L6...
      7027 is a different critter, more like a 6550, different pinout, not compatable without rewiring...do NOT plug one into a Fender or 6L6 dedicated amp.

The Winged C 6L6GC are a good bang for the buck...solid tone, strong, dependable, affordable, good QC. Didn't like the JJ's...midrangey, honky, high failure/microphonics rate. I don't have much use for the Sino/Sovtek stuff either (except that Shanguang KT66; nice tube).

Comment

Check out the TAD 6l6. The small bott Tads are far and away the best sounding new 6l6 I have heard.
        ]
        FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

so maybe ill get some winged c 6L6 GCs, they seem to have gotten good reviews.

Comment

What about NOS tung-sols? or RCAs?

Comment

That's good to hear, I was thinking that I may try a pair of those in the Valveking that I just bought from Kac.

Originally posted by kevlar3000
              Check out the TAD 6l6. The small bott Tads are far and away the best sounding new 6l6 I have heard.
              '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

NOS TungSol or RCA ???---two different critters, both of which cost quite a bit more than current production. I though you had limited funds and were looking for a good inexpensive tube. TungSol is considered by some to be the penultimate tweed amp power tube. RCA is a little more characteristic of the BF era tone, a little more headroom, cleaner. Give me a pair of matched Philips 7581A, anytime.

Comment

or any of the Sylvania badged Philips, if you can find them
                  '05 '59 Les Paul RI, WCR Goodwoods
                  '06 '58 Les Paul VOS, WCR Fillmores
                  '04 '57 Les Paul RI, WCR Moore/Green
                  '98 '54 Les Paul Custom RI, SD CS P90/A5
                  '01 Firebird V
                  '06 '51 Nocaster Relic, SD CS Broadcaster
                  '94 40th Ann '54 Strat RI, Antiquities
                  '96 '62 Strat RI, Fralin Blues Specials
                  '05 '52 Tele RI, Fralin Blues Specials