“Where does the tone come from in an Electric Guitar Amp?” -Jim Lill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Securb View Post
    Tech 21 or someone should dilute that tackle box down to a 4-knob stomp. Bass - Mids - Treble - Drive and a three-way toggle for VOX, Marshall and Fender. I would buy one in a second.
    Isn’t that kind of what the SansAmp was?

Interestingly enough, Bruce Egnater is kicking off a new tube amp, three channels, Fender, Vox and modded Marshall tone stacks as channels, I wonder if each channel is a full representation of each circuit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6D59766A-8313-4CF5-AEC3-66B27490EBE8.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	6216819
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

It is exactly what it was but IIRC there was no setting for VOX, I love my Tech 21 Liverpool they do VOX right.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

That was the whole point of the video. He showed that the tone stack is really what you're hearing when you're playing different amps.

LOTS MORE GOING ON IN A 100 WATT MARSHALL THAN JUST A FEW RESISTORS AND WIPERS OF A TONE STACK. THATS NOT THE WHOLE POINT.

Comment

How about something going through a Jet City Picovalve?

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

LOTS MORE GOING ON IN A 100 WATT MARSHALL THAN JUST A FEW RESISTORS AND WIPERS OF A TONE STACK. THATS NOT THE WHOLE POINT.
            Of course there's a lot more going on that the tone stack, nobody said otherwise. The point of the video was that the tone stack makes most of the difference that you can hear.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Did we really need an 18 minute video to know that ?
              Guitar tone woods, speakers, tubes, strings, FX, cabinets, plectrums, pickups and many other factors all have a bearing on tone.
              Last edited by JMP/HBE; 01-25-2023, 08:30 AM.

Comment

they do, and i do get the point of the video, but there is so much more that goes into picking one amp over another than just tone. the feel of an amp is terribly important to me, which is why i havent warmed up to modelers.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                  Tech 21 or someone should dilute that tackle box down to a 4-knob stomp. Bass - Mids - Treble - Drive and a three-way toggle for VOX, Marshall and Fender. I would buy one in a second.
                  Not a stomp, but the PSA-1 rack was exactly that. And it had 50 presets that you could configure as a round robin cycle and roll through. I had mine set to do VOX, Tweed Clean, Plexi. The Fly Rig would be there if it just had VOX on it also. Maybe that's the answer - FlyRig with a Liverpool.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    they do, and i do get the point of the video, but there is so much more that goes into picking one amp over another than just tone. the feel of an amp is terribly important to me, which is why i havent warmed up to modelers.

Im complicit and plead guilty on all counts above your Honor.
                    I have yet to find an IC chip that scratches my Thermionic vale itch.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Of course there's a lot more going on that the tone stack, nobody said otherwise. The point of the video was that the tone stack makes most of the difference that you can hear.
                      I haven't bothered watching the video, but that's going to be very amp design dependent. I can name amps that have identical tone stacks but sound different (5150 and Recto are an obvious choice; 2203/2204 vs 1959/1987 is another).

Comment

Comment

But where's the haunting midz ?

Comment

Tone in dem fingaz
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Tone is in the enlightenment

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

Interestingly enough, Bruce Egnater is kicking off a new tube amp, three channels, Fender, Vox and modded Marshall tone stacks as channels, I wonder if each channel is a full representation of each circuit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6D59766A-8313-4CF5-AEC3-66B27490EBE8.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	6216819
                                Groove Tubes did that about a decade earlier with the Trio Preamp (BF Fender, Tweed Bassman, Marshall). It was used by Jerry Garcia.
                                I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Working...
                                X