No announcement yet.

Avoiding death while working on amps ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Avoiding death while working on amps ?

I bias live amps all the time, using a bias tool, multimeter, and miniscrewdriver with a plastic handle.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I couldn't find my plastic-handled miniscrewdriver, and used a solid metal one to turn the plastic bias pot. DOOOOOOHHHHHHH! Dumbest goddam thing I've ever done! As the surge of electricity ran through me, I jumped away from the amp, but it scared the livin crap outta me!! I'm lucky I didn't get connected to it and die!
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
      Hey Scott, I heard that instead of putting the amp in stand by & then powering down, that if you turn off the power switch & keep playing till you hear nothing coming from the amp, that that discharges whatever power is left in there........any truth to that?

That said, I know nothing about the electronics of an amp & therefore, wouldn't dream of noodling around on the inside without a little education.....go to a tech!!!

If you do it enough times, it is supposed to be hard on the tubes. Doing it once or twice should not be big deal. I'd still check everything, then ground out those big caps while you're working on it.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
        If you do it enough times, it is supposed to be hard on the tubes. Doing it once or twice should not be big deal. I'd still check everything, then ground out those big caps while you're working on it.
        Gotcha!

Yeah, I was leaning towards if you were gonna be messing around inside, not after every time you play. I'm not sure HOW hard it is on the tubes, but I'll take the words of those that know better.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
        Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
        FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
        http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
          I bias live amps all the time, using a bias tool, multimeter, and miniscrewdriver with a plastic handle.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I couldn't find my plastic-handled miniscrewdriver, and used a solid metal one to turn the plastic bias pot. DOOOOOOHHHHHHH! Dumbest goddam thing I've ever done! As the surge of electricity ran through me, I jumped away from the amp, but it scared the livin crap outta me!! I'm lucky I didn't get connected to it and die!
          I use a long screwdriver with the metal shaft wraped up with electrical tape. This way my hand is not inside the amp while I adjust the trim pot,And if I fumble fingers and drop the screwdriver in the amp. The chances of shorting something out are decressed. I learned the tape trick from adjusting points in my old Hot Rod. ( I geuss Only the 35+ crowd here remember setting points) The old GM's distributer caps had that Lil' window where you could put a Allen key in... If you missed the Allen screw and touched the points... 20,000Volts would surge thru your body. Not my Idea of Fun
          http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars
            I use a long screwdriver with the metal shaft wraped up with electrical tape. This way my hand is not inside the amp while I adjust the trim pot,And if I fumble fingers and drop the screwdriver in the amp. The chances of shorting something out are decressed. I learned the tape trick from adjusting points in my old Hot Rod. ( I geuss Only the 35+ crowd here remember setting points) The old GM's distributer caps had that Lil' window where you could put a Allen key in... If you missed the Allen screw and touched the points... 20,000Volts would surge thru your body. Not my Idea of Fun
            I sure remember points! Didn't shock myself with them, but in the mid 80's I bought my 65 or 67 Fender Deluxe and fired it up. Of course, I wanted to see the inside so I took the amp apart. It was unplugged but when I grabbed the chassis--ZAP! Hurt like a *****! I swear, my hair stood up. I'm lucky I didn't get to meet Hendrix, Bohnam & company that day, LOL.
            My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
            or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
            http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
            700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

I was told that using the standby to discharge is the best way to do it.. on most amps. I think the best way to do this is to start with the amp off.. then just hit the standby switch and let it sit for a couple mins. After that, open it up and check several connections with a multimeter to make sure its drained. It usually will not totally drain, so you will have to drain it manually.

Of course, dont do this and screw up, i hold no responsibility. Maybe i shouldnt really post this.. i dunno.
              Guitars: Jackson Black Flametop SLSMG FullShred(A8)/FullShred w/Tonepros bridge
              Fernandes Revolver Pro 7-String, BKP Painkiller(A8)
              Amp: Laney VH100R and Splawn 2x12 cab
              Effects: John Spina modded SD-1, Morley Bad Horsie Wah, MXR 10-band EQ (OLD version)
              Recording/Practice: Line 6 Guitar Port

Comment

Working...
              X