Laney GH50L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney GH50L

Well now, it’s on its way. Scored a great deal on Reverb. First amp in 17 years. Going to be a great complement to my beloved Pro-Tube AOR 50. Probably going to be a bit more of a workhorse as AOR push pull knobs are impossible to replace these days from what I hear. Anybody currently run them here ? Would love to get some scoop on what glass this beast like and etc.
    Active Duty Rig:
    MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
    Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

I was looking on eBay yesterday for one of these. I hope you give us a full report. Congratulations on your upcoming new amp day!

Comment

WWWWOOOOOOOOWWWW !!!!!!!!!!! This thing is a fire breather !!!! Wow! It’s everything that I wanted!

In a nutshell Laney GH50L is low mids/mids, brightly dark, most tight and focused EL34 low end gain beast I have ever heard !!!!!

AND ITS LOUD, LOUDER than his older AOR brother, basically thats F!!!ING LOUD!

Drive switch is the best “more of the same” boost I’ve heard.

Resonance switch …… Finally!!! Tight EL34 in all EL34 glory without being castrated to a compressed burp. A bit of a side note on that - in my AOR for the last 11 years I use JJ E34Ls which are not same thing as EL34, And what did this beast arrive with ? That’s right all JJed out, including E34Ls in the power amp!

I did not have a lot of time to noodle today, but within 15 minutes I was in heavenly territory of Wicked Sensation Lynch, Savatage’s “Streets”, “Eternal Idol” Iommi!

I hooked it up right away with BBE 422A and Hush super C in the loop, and it was perfect with settings as they were for AOR.

My Strat with Fullshred in the bridge just roared, no boost needed, screaming pick harmonics and Armageddon palm mutes.

Warmoth body/Kramer neck Flying V with slightly overwound S-Deco need a bit of new Exotic RV2 Boost, with a little tinkering I am sure I can get a tasty Schenkersque thing going with this option. But maybe I will switch to Custom….

Did I mention it was loud ? So, this year I switched to using my Webber Mini Mas as lead boost. Oh yeah!!!! With this thing my leads will be heard !!!!

Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
        WWWWOOOOOOOOWWWW !!!!!!!!!!! This thing is a fire breather !!!! Wow! It’s everything that I wanted!

In a nutshell Laney GH50L is low mids/mids, brightly dark, most tight and focused EL34 low end gain beast I have ever heard !!!!!

AND ITS LOUD, LOUDER than his older AOR brother, basically thats F!!!ING LOUD!

Drive switch is the best “more of the same” boost I’ve heard.

Resonance switch …… Finally!!! Tight EL34 in all EL34 glory without being castrated to a compressed burp. A bit of a side note on that - in my AOR for the last 11 years I use JJ E34Ls which are not same thing as EL34, And what did this beast arrive with ? That’s right all JJed out, including E34Ls in the power amp!

I did not have a lot of time to noodle today, but within 15 minutes I was in heavenly territory of Wicked Sensation Lynch, Savatage’s “Streets”, “Eternal Idol” Iommi!

I hooked it up right away with BBE 422A and Hush super C in the loop, and it was perfect with settings as they were for AOR.

My Strat with Fullshred in the bridge just roared, no boost needed, screaming pick harmonics and Armageddon palm mutes.

Warmoth body/Kramer neck Flying V with slightly overwound S-Deco need a bit of new Exotic RV2 Boost, with a little tinkering I am sure I can get a tasty Schenkersque thing going with this option. But maybe I will switch to Custom….

Did I mention it was loud ? So, this year I switched to using my Webber Mini Mas as lead boost. Oh yeah!!!! With this thing my leads will be heard !!!!

I had this amp for a week, then returned it. Loudest amp ive ever owned. too loud for me.

Comment

Had one years ago, and have regretted letting it go since. If I'd known about attenuators back then I'd have died with it...dopey me.

Congrats on one of the best amps ever (IMHO)!

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
            Had one years ago, and have regretted letting it go since. If I'd known about attenuators back then I'd have died with it...dopey me.

Congrats on one of the best amps ever (IMHO)!

Larry
            You know, my beloved AOR is one of the best amps ever made for what I do - classic metal/classic thrash/classic hard rock, but I would not say greatest amps ever made. I am in FB Laney group and several dudes there said what you said - and I was like ok, guys I love Laney too, but …. Now, I believe it, this is a extremely versatile amp, ability to slave the pre-amp out, ability to switch between 6L6 and EL34, to bypass EFX loop, ability to blend with dry sound or send the entire signal through it, the drive boost and two controllable gain stages with resonance mode - and all of that can be on low or hi inputs!!! Plus the cleans are really good, when it cleans up it’s sounds like great modulation effects platform. Oh, and it has 4 ohms option in addition to 8 and 16, for some reason I love 4 ohms I was stoked to see when I was reading up on it that it had it just like AOR.
            Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by superedan

The GH50L has two channels, each with its own set of controls. The first channel is a clean channel that can produce a range of clean tones, from bright and chimey to warm and mellow. The second channel is a high-gain channel that is designed for heavy distortion and lead tones.
              stumble guys
              lolbeans
              This is a very strange post, for a first post …. Clearly, I own the amp and the above statement of obvious is a bit strange ….
              Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
                This is a very strange post, for a first post …. Clearly, I own the amp and the above statement of obvious is a bit strange ….
                It was a potential spammer. Let me know if you see posts like this that don't make any sense in context.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Congrats on the killer amp! I used to have a GH50L and sold it to fund a VH100R. While the VH100R is also great, the GH50L was more up my alley. Years later I decided to snag a GH100L. It has been long enough that I cannot remember the exact specifics of the 50 watter, but the 100 watt version didn't leave me disappointed. It is loud, and authoritative.

I currently have mine loaded up with JJ 6CA7 power tubes; which have become a recent favorite to use in brighter amps. I currently have them in the GH100L, in my H&K Duotone, and my VHT Pittbull 100/CL. They really thump! I have JJ E34Ls in my Rocktron Vendetta 100 and they sound killer too!

Cole
                  Budda Superdrive II 30, 45, V40, Baby Budda| H&K Duotone | Laney GH100L | Peters Halo/Hydra | Rivera M100 | |Rocktron Vendetta 100 | VHT Pittbull 100/CL]

Comment

Glad you love your score. I played Laney back in the 80s and that amp had "thump" for days.

Comment

Working...
                    X