banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could all famous amp models become Tonemasters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im not against modeling at all, but i dont know if the sound is consistently better out front. low stage volume absolutely allows for the potential of a better mix though

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      im not against modeling at all, but i dont know if the sound is consistently better out front. low stage volume absolutely allows for the potential of a better mix though
      Well, that's the thing...bands sound better overall. Most guitarists I've seen who insist on 100 watt amps onstage ruin the band mix out front.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

yep, i get that. theres a reason i use a 20w deluxe reverb 90% of the time. on a big stage, ill ask the sound guy if i can crank it but even then, i usually put a baffle or aim it at the side of the stage to not color the foh too much

Comment

The digital tonemaster is not unlike a reliced guitar.

People want to experience something, doesnt matter if it is fake.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
            Tubes will never be done but digital technology is making it easier to mimic tubes. It is naive to think we cannot digitally mimic a vacuum tube at a time when we can use AI to mimic the human brain. We can fly to the moon and back but the vacuum tube is the one technology that has baffled scientists and engineers. Yes, digital/solid-state can sound exactly like a tube amp but tube amps will never go away.
            Not to quote the first response for a tangent to a 35 post thread, but as someone who's work is on the cutting edge of AI, there are certain human qualities even the best AI's (language and visual) can't replicate and to some degree probably never will. It's not even that the technology is behind, far from it, it's just if you've got a computer with access to massive data sets, what mathematical model are you going to use to describe the quality of each piece? Likewise, I do not predict they will be able to make intentionally funny AIs in our life time.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
              The digital tonemaster is not unlike a reliced guitar.

People want to experience something, doesnt matter if it is fake.
              It is also a tool that some players use for a specific purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                Likewise, I do not predict they will be able to make intentionally funny AIs in our life time.
                Depends who you talk to. I mean . . . look at the Family Circus comic strip. Human created, and it has never in it's history of publication been funny.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Depends who you talk to. I mean . . . look at the Family Circus comic strip. Human created, and it has never in it's history of publication been funny.
                  Family Circus is just one example. Nancy? Beetle Bailey? Never, ever funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                    I do not predict they will be able to make intentionally funny AIs in our life time.
                    Are you kidding AI is hilarious

Tell me a joke about guitar players

Sure, here's a guitar player joke for you:

Why did the guitar player break up with his girlfriend?
                    Because she fretted too much!

Write me a joke about guitar players

Sure, here's a guitar player joke for you:

Why did the guitar player refuse to share his instrument with anyone?
                    Because he didn't want to fret over someone else's strings!

Write me a joke about guitar effects

Sure, here's a guitar effects joke for you:

Why did the guitarist refuse to use any effects pedals?
                    Because he wanted to keep his sound pure and distortion-free, just like his bank account!

Write me a joke about guitar amps

Sure, here's a guitar amp joke for you:

Why did the guitarist refuse to lend his amplifier to anyone?
                    Because he didn't want to give them any feedback!

Tell me a joke about bass players

Sure, here's a bass player joke for you:

Why don't bass players ever catch a cold?
                    Because they're always playing with their basses at a safe distance!

Tell me a joke about sound engineers

Sure, here's a sound engineer joke for you:

Why did the sound engineer refuse to help the struggling musician with his mix?
                    Because he didn't want to be accused of adding insult to EQ!

Comment

Once folks stop worrying about HOW the sounds are produced, and whether they accurately replicate something else, and just focus on if the sounds are GOOD, the tube/SS/modeling thing will stop being particularly important.

When, "How did they sound?" is more important than, "What were they using?" we'll make more progress toward great tones, IMHO.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

It is also a tool that some players use for a specific purpose.
                        Sure. It does useful things. And may capture the actual experience 95%. Only if you don't look inside.

There is nothing wrong with fake things for the people who "just want the experience." I mean, a fake Rolex can probably fool 99% of people and actually keep accurate time. But its not the same thing.

Some people actually wear fake watches, handbags, accessories, etc. There is a market for them. The fake Gucci bag hold things just like the real one. This amp make noise just like the original.

The original "dogs playing poker" painting probably quite expensive. A print of the original conveys the same emotion but costs alot less.
                        Last edited by Top-L; 03-20-2023, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Sure. It does useful things. And may capture the actual experience 95%. Only if you don't look inside.

There is nothing wrong with fake things for the people who "just want the experience." I mean, a fake Rolex can probably fool 99% of people and actually keep accurate time. But its not the same thing.

Some people actually wear fake watches, handbags, accessories, etc. There is a market for them. The fake Gucci bag hold things just like the real one. This amp make noise just like the original.

The original "dogs playing poker" painting probably quite expensive. A print of the original conveys the same emotion but costs alot less.
                          I had a friend that used to go on rants like yours. He came over to play one day and thought he was plugged into my Mesa Road King and was raving about his tone. When he tried to switch channels and it didn't do anything he was confused, until I told him he was plugged into my Kemper. All of a sudden he had complaints about the tone being "off" and "artificial". Sound is sound, there is no "real" or "fake". If you can hear it, then it's real.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Are you kidding AI is hilarious

Insult to EQ, goodness gracious…
                            The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post

I had a friend that used to go on rants like yours. He came over to play one day and thought he was plugged into my Mesa Road King and was raving about his tone. When he tried to switch channels and it didn't do anything he was confused, until I told him he was plugged into my Kemper. All of a sudden he had complaints about the tone being "off" and "artificial". Sound is sound, there is no "real" or "fake". If you can hear it, then it's real.
                              I had a forum bro over here playing some of my guitars. He fell in love with my Iceman and asked what kind of pickup it had. When I told him a 498T he said that was impossible he hated 498Ts. At least he didn't flip like your friend he kept exclaiming how great the guitar sounded.

I think we if not most of us all approach gear with preconceived ideas of quality, tone, and performance. Our preconceptions are typically wrong.

Comment

But real things doing real work by real professionals at real gigs and real recordings...that kind of stuff is being done with all kinds of tools.

Comment

Working...
                                X