Blackstar Cabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackstar Cabs

How do you like them, i am talking particularly 4x12s. I love slanted ones. How are they holding up against Marshalls, Orange for example ?
    Active Duty Rig:
    MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
    Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

I always thought the Series One cabs seem really appealing. They use specially voiced V30's too. Very interesting. I think they're more along the lines of Marshall than Orange for sure. 15mm ply rather than 18 for Orange. Except the oversized ones are 16 ohms like Marshall, but the standard-sized ones are 8 ohms like Mesa. Really interesting cabs, IMO. Often overlooked.

The lower-end ones never seemed all that appealing to me. On the lower-end stuff, Blackstar tend to use a lot of MDF which is heavy, is slighty dead-sounding, and not as road worthy. And they're not all that cheap. For the price, I'm sure you can do better in the used market.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-26-2023, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
      They use specially voiced V30's too. Very interesting
      Interesting, what is the difference in voicing?

Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
        Interesting, what is the difference in voicing?
        No idea.

Only the standard-sized ones do. The oversized have run-of-the-mill V30's.

Comment

How would rate a series one black star vs marshall JCM900 1960A?
          Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

No idean. Don't have direct experience with Blackstar cabs.

I will say, though, Marshall cabs from the 90's and onwards are really poorly built. Like, it's not even funny.

I guess the trashy build is part of their sound. Because they do record well. It's just scary looking inside one, and then putting it back together hoping you don't strip anything.

Plus I'd take even the worst Chinese V30's over even the best T-75's from any era, personally.

Comment

I will say, though, Marshall cabs from the 90's and onwards are really poorly built. Like, it's not even funny.

I guess the trashy build is part of their sound. Because they do record well. It's just scary looking inside one, and then putting it back together hoping you don't strip anything.

Plus I'd take even the worst Chinese V30's over even the best T-75's from any era, personally.
              I have one from late 90s, It does record well, but i just would not be able to let it go, too much memories. But i am looking for one, I am thinking of PPC412HP8 Orange, but maybe live its a bit of an overkill for what i do, but did record with it and loved it, plus its pricey ..... So, I am wondering what else is there that is not Marshall, Blackstar cabs kind sound really focused and punch yet not scooped .....
              Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

That’s unfortunately true. I have a white 1960A and I’ve sold all the T-75s. They’re far too thin in the mids.
                The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post

I have one from late 90s, It does record well, but i just would not be able to let it go, too much memories. But i am looking for one, I am thinking of PPC412HP8 Orange, but maybe live its a bit of an overkill for what i do, but did record with it and loved it, plus its pricey ..... So, I am wondering what else is there that is not Marshall, Blackstar cabs kind sound really focused and punch yet not scooped .....
                  I have a 1960A from 2013 when they went back to using plywood backs. It records well, but I've stripped so many screws and screwholes by opening it up a few times to change the speakers. It looks horrible inside too. Paint splatter. Crooked woodscrews. Poorly centered center block.

But I'd much rather have a Marshall 4x12 than an Orange 4x12, TBH. I don't like Orange cabs, personally. I have a PPC112 which sounds OK in the room, but records horribly.

I also have a friend who has a PPC412 which we've tried to mic up so many times too. It always sound... weird. Like there's some standing waves going on inside of the cab. I also hear that on all Orange cab IR's I've used, so I guess it's an Orange thing. The top-end is also weird. Like kinda dark and fizzy at the sme time, which I don't know how it happens, LOL. The extra thick grill makes it really hard to shine a flashlight through them too, so hard to find the speakers' sweet spot.

I also hate they're unnecessarily heavy, and they have no casters. Just the wood skid thing which supposedly couples them to the stage. I hate that. I'd much rather isolate my cab from the floor for the low-end to sound cleaner.

Plus they're orange, LOL.

I mean, they sound good in the room. Kinda dark and fat. But I always judge gear on how it records. And I don't like how Orange cabs do.

You can clearly hear the phasey-sounding mids that I mean here.

Same thing here.

Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-31-2023, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Those t75s do make a nice blender with greenbacks. On their own they are very scooped. Great speaker for AJFA tones!

Comment

Working...
                    X