Mesa Boogie / Gibson raises prices.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

Ive had plenty of Mesa & Gibson and never once paid retail. Only a fool or somebody with money to burn pays retail.
    Fine gear but don't miss them at all.
    The MK I / MK III / MK IV & Rectifier were all stupid loud and mostly non usable.
    I like blasting a stadium as much as anyone else but those days are pretty much dead.
    Rectifiers non-usable loud?
    They have three volumes,,,,channel, output, and send-level on the back. Plus the solo too, but that only goes upward so we won't count that.
    Also you can knock them down with their built-in variac(spongy) and to a lessor degree their tube rectifier sections.
    Multi-Watts do 50w and older models handle pulling a pair of power tubes to go 50w for modern-mode,,,,,, it's never needed if in vintage mode.

To me they are one of the best bedroom volume high-gain amps ever.

Comment

I'd still a good Gibson, but realistically I think the only thing I'd shell out on new is a reissue of the M-III - which would hopefully resemble the reissue from 2013.

As far as Boogies go, they aren't even available in Europe nowadays, so I can't say that this affects me.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

Rectifiers non-usable loud?
        They have three volumes,,,,channel, output, and send-level on the back. Plus the solo too, but that only goes upward so we won't count that.
        Also you can knock them down with their built-in variac(spongy) and to a lessor degree their tube rectifier sections.
        Multi-Watts do 50w and older models handle pulling a pair of power tubes to go 50w for modern-mode,,,,,, it's never needed if in vintage mode.

To me they are one of the best bedroom volume high-gain amps ever.

Yes all true and fine amps as i siad, Whenever i would open up the DR minute pieces of the cieling tiles would leave "snow" on my amp.
        The MK I was just not usable insanely stupid loud.
        MK III had more gain and sounded great w/a power soak so you couls actually turn it up w/o killing small animals.
        MK IV cool amp but basically Metallica "ride the lightning" sound in a jar.
        They all went to home that needed them.
        I could not get any of my Engineers / Tech to agree to work on them which left me having to ship them to Petaluma. Not going that route.
        Plus Gibson owns Mesa now no telling who works on amps.
        Im a Marshall guy a 100 watt JMP is all i ever needand i have 2.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

Yes all true and fine amps as i siad, Whenever i would open up the DR minute pieces of the cieling tiles would leave "snow" on my amp.
          The MK I was just not usable insanely stupid loud.
          MK III had more gain and sounded great w/a power soak so you couls actually turn it up w/o killing small animals.
          MK IV cool amp but basically Metallica "ride the lightning" sound in a jar.
          They all went to home that needed them.
          I could not get any of my Engineers / Tech to agree to work on them which left me having to ship them to Petaluma. Not going that route.
          Plus Gibson owns Mesa now no telling who works on amps.
          Im a Marshall guy a 100 watt JMP is all i ever needand i have 2.
          Yeah sending to Petaluma sucks these days with the shipping rates. I assume Mike B. still runs their repair/mod shop, but I can't confirm it's still true.

I really lucked-out finding a mesa warranty tech not too far away, so at least he gets their schematics and tech-support to help with anything if he can't figure it out, plus their factory parts at discount rates.

Comment

So let me see if I can get this right...

Gibson, who has raised their prices every year for at least the past 20 years, has raised their prices. And Mesa, now owned by Gibson raised their prices also.

In other news, the sky is blue, the sun is hot, and water is wet!

I believe the default advice, is, as it always was...buy used.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Gibson's prices have gone up every year since 1952 pretty much in lockstep with inflation. Adjusted for inflation a 1952 Les Paul would cost you $2,361.60. A 1980 Standard that retailed for $849 would now cost $3,059.40 seeing they are now $2999, Gibson is giving us a $50 break.

To put this in context when my house was built in 1970 it cost less than my current car.
              Last edited by Securb; 04-04-2023, 07:45 PM.

Comment

The only Gibson I own (1980 LP Standard), I bought for the equivalent of $200. My Boogie Mark V I bought for $1600 10 years ago. I'm good.

At my age I'm probably done with buying more tube amps. I use the Kemper quite a bit and not sure about tube availability in the future.

Comment

Working...
                X