Svetlana 6L6 - holy sh*t!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Svetlana 6L6 - holy sh*t!

I had my power tubes changed in my Groove Tubes Soul-O 45 for a new pair of Svetlana 6L6GC ´s and.. Well I can´t believe my ears. I´ve always thought it´s just gearhead-talk how different tube brands have different sounds in their newly-produced tubes (NOS is different of course but up to this point I´ve never heard a difference in how new tubes sound) but these sure do differ from others I´ve had.. I´ve had EHXs but mostly JJs until now.

But these... I mean these sound like NOS! These are a bit more expensive than say, JJs for example but not too much. And they sound amazing.

They´re round, soft, articulate, a bit compressed, yet punchy if needed, just enough headroom, not trebly, but definitely not muddy.... And so on. They´re the bomb.

Try ´em out if you can. Highly recommended!

Re: Svetlana 6L6 - holy sh*t!

Where did you purchase them foo?

Comment

Those are my favorite 6L6's. To me they're warmer and a tiny bit more compressed than JJ's, which is good because they sound a little more 'cranked' than JJ's and GT GE's.

The only problem is that the original =C= logo Svetlanas are in short supply.
      Now, Sovtek owns them, and claims they're the same, but some disagree.
      I honestly don't know. I think even the new ones might have the winged C logo now.

Here's a little bit of info on Svet/Sovtek/New Sensor
      This website is for sale! vacuumtube.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, vacuumtube.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
      Last edited by Gearjoneser; 01-05-2006, 12:27 PM.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I like the Sovtek 6L6WXT+ a lot, I've got those in my Triamp. They actually seem to be a bit louder and slightly dirtier.
        Guitars: EBMM Silhouette Special / G&L ASAT Special / ESP Horizon / Squier MIJ Strat / Squier Aff. Strat / Furch S23-CR / Taylor Baby
        Basses: Cort NTL-BFL acoustic fretless / Ellio Martina Forza 5 / Fender MIJ '75 RI Jazz / G&L SB-2 / Ibanez MC924 / Ibanez ATK300 (2x) / Ibanez ATK305 / Italia Torino / Longbow 2-string / Rickenbacker 4003 / Sandberg Bullet 5 fretless

Comment

If you want the same tube, get the Winged C stuff...

Comment

Ok this is not exactly the topic, but does anyone know of the qualities of both Svetlana and Sovtek EL34s?

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

SED winged C's are my favorite 6L6 also, with the JJ's running second.

They just put my GH100L into that zone.
              Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
              Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

Marshall uses svetlana tubes as their stock tubes.
                I wonder why people still change them when its having some good reviews
                Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
                Gibson 1959 reissue
                Gibson 1960 reissue
                Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

I have a pair of Original Svets from the 90's. These are great tubes but can be low on power if they arn't correctly biased. They seem to run a bit hotter than NOS 6L6 or other current production tubes, requiring a slightly different bias setting. If you want the eqivilant to original Svets, then it must be =C=, last I heard any way....

Comment

I think i'll just stick with the stock marshall tubes =P
                    Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
                    Gibson 1959 reissue
                    Gibson 1960 reissue
                    Gibson EDS-1275

Comment

Originally posted by DesertRose
                      Marshall uses svetlana tubes as their stock tubes.
                      I wonder why people still change them when its having some good reviews
                      I can't really comment on the quality of their power tubes yet, cause I honestly didn't have the opportunity to crank em up to 10... This is why I was asking...

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kommerzbassist
                        I can't really comment on the quality of their power tubes yet, cause I honestly didn't have the opportunity to crank em up to 10... This is why I was asking...
                        You're right, but I crank the DSL401 up to 10 before. Using Svetlana EL84s, prolly different than EL34s, but its like ..hmm , ok, it sounds kindda good and warm =)
                        Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
                        Gibson 1959 reissue
                        Gibson 1960 reissue
                        Gibson EDS-1275

Comment

Originally posted by DesertRose
                          You're right, but I crank the DSL401 up to 10 before. Using Svetlana EL84s, prolly different than EL34s, but its like ..hmm , ok, it sounds kindda good and warm =)
                          So we now know the 6L6s and the EL84s are good... anyone knowing about the EL34s? Well I think they'll be good too though...

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

I use the SED "winged C" EL34s in my Jubilee. I prefer them over the JJ EL34L as I like the upper harmonics better. The Svetlanas made by Sovtek do not have the bass ouput that the SED "real Svetlanas" produce. YMMV. Be careful when talking or inquiring about Svetlana tubes as the name "Svetlana" cannot be used in the USA by the actual company (Svetlana). SED (Svetlana Electron Devices) is the original company located in St. Petersburg Russia and their tubes have the winged C logo and are boxed SED.

Fenders: '69 CS Strat; Hwy1 Strat SSL2's, SSL3T;CP Jaguar
                            Gibsons: LP DC STD Seth & Brobucker; LP STD Plus PGn & CC; (2)ES-335's; LP R7 Custom SNS & C4; LP '68 Custom '59A4 & C5; LP Trad 2014 PG & SNS; Explorer PG & C4; SG Std '57 & BB3;
                            Jacksons: SL2H w/DMZ AN & Super D; DK1 w/59 & C5; Dinky Elite, DK2 w/AN & AZ, RR5FR
                            Marshall 2550 Silver Jubilee; JMP 2203, Vox AC15C1; Gibson Super Goldtone GA30RV; Suhr CAA-OD100SE+, CAA PT100; Fender Vibrolux Reverb

Comment

I've got Svetlana EL34's in my Marshall JCM900 MkIII. They sound great. My tech recommended them to me and he made good. The amp sounds better than it has in a long time. I don't think they are the "Winged C" Svetlana's though. I'll have to look at the boxes and see if they say SED or Svetlana but I'm pretty sure they say Svetlana. Still very good tubes.

Comment

Working...
                              X