banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ENGL Savage 60 Mk2 countdown/review thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ENGL Savage 60 Mk2 countdown/review thread.

I ordered a Savage 60 Mk2 about a month ago from MF. It is backordered and supposed to be in stock at the end of April. Yes its overpriced, and I could get a Mark V for similar price. But I like the feature set of the Savage better.

The Savage 60 is the El34 version of the Savage. Its in the hot-rod Marshall family, so I think the El34s saturation will suit me better for mostly standard tuning lead playing than the higher headroom 6550 version.

It sounds like a very versatile head, with a tight lead guitar voice that doesn't need a boost. In this demo video, it stands up well against the other amps compared. In fact, the lead guitar sound of the Savage seems more open to me than the Mark V, which has a bit of cocked wah.

Anyway, I have another month of waiting, or it may never come...

I've always loved the sound of those in clips. Never tried one in person, but they record incredibly.

Comment

Hell yeah!! I'm jealous.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
        Hell yeah!! I'm jealous.
        But don't you have that Kemper? Or Fractal?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          But don't you have that Kemper? Or Fractal?

I have both, but that doesn't mean I can't be jealous.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post

I have both, but that doesn't mean I can't be jealous.
            Nothing to be jealous of.. yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
              I've always loved the sound of those in clips. Never tried one in person, but they record incredibly.
              The only problem is that most of the demos I've heard are downtuned metal with the 120. I'm hoping that the EL34s give it more of a familiar Marshall vibe. The video I linked above is of the 60 and I (think) I like it more than the 120. Especially when he demos the affect the power tube saturation has on the sound. The Savage 120 has 6550 tubes and sounds more sterile.

Its really stupid spending this much on an amp I havent tried, and that doesn't really exist in the wild. I have been looking for an amp that has an XXX style lead channel, but that has more versatility. Other contenders are/were the JVM410 and Mark V. I think what it comes down to, if the Savage can get a nice fat clean, and also a nice mellow overdrive, it will cover everything I need. OTH, if it can't do those things, I think 3K is too much.
              Last edited by Top-L; 04-06-2023, 10:50 AM.

Comment

I tried the smallest ENGL head they made in the 2000s. If memory serves, it was a savage. It sounded great for the heaviest metal when I figured out how yo het the highest gain modes and boost switches all turned on, tight, no boosts needed but beforehand it did the in between and crunch just fine too.

EDIT: It may have been an ironball but ENGLa have a good rep for a reason.
                Last edited by El Dunco; 04-06-2023, 01:17 PM.
                The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

The only problem is that most of the demos I've heard are downtuned metal with the 120. I'm hoping that the EL34s give it more of a familiar Marshall vibe. The video I linked above is of the 60 and I (think) I like it more than the 120. Especially when he demos the affect the power tube saturation has on the sound. The Savage 120 has 6550 tubes and sounds more sterile.

Its really stupid spending this much on an amp I havent tried, and that doesn't really exist in the wild. I have been looking for an amp that has an XXX style lead channel, but that has more versatility. Other contenders are/were the JVM410 and Mark V. I think what it comes down to, if the Savage can get a nice fat clean, and also a nice mellow overdrive, it will cover everything I need. OTH, if it can't do those things, I think 3K is too much.
                  Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia is E Standard and ENGL Savage.

Not sure if youre into Black(ish) Metal?

I know you liked the Exodus tone sample of the XXX I posted before. Gary Holt also used to use a Savage at some point. But I'm not very knowledgeable about Exodus to know what record in exactly, TBH.

But I've always thought of ENGL as more of a drop tuned metal-oriented brand that happens to do other stuff as well, TBH. I'm actually surprised to learn someone from Deep Purple has a signature ENGL amp, LOL.
                  Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 04-06-2023, 12:28 PM.

Comment

In my book, ENGL > MEHsa every day.

I bet you will be very pleased with it when it shows up.
                    I too am jealous!

My ENGL Fireball 60 (which he mentions at the end of his video) is my favorite amp hands down.
                    Last edited by 80's_Thrash_Metal; 04-06-2023, 08:12 PM.
                    https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                      Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia is E Standard and ENGL Savage.

Not sure if youre into Black(ish) Metal?

I know you liked the Exodus tone sample of the XXX I posted before. Gary Holt also used to use a Savage at some point. But I'm not very knowledgeable about Exodus to know what record in exactly, TBH.

But I've always thought of ENGL as more of a drop tuned metal-oriented brand that happens to do other stuff as well, TBH. I'm actually surprised to learn someone from Deep Purple has a signature ENGL amp, LOL.
                      Some of my favorite players are Engl endorsers. Vinnie Moore, Steve Morse, Marty Friedman. All of their Engls are EL34s.

Not into black metal, but want something for speed metal, power metal, classic metal, rock, and shred, all with a Marshall flavor. From the Euge Valorvita demo, it looks like it can cover those.

Comment

It's totally worth the wait. There's nothing else like it. You might have a hard time finding good audio examples of it because it's usually either pros doing demos or sub-par sound.

Another thing is how much people tend to make it seem like a 1-trick pony, but that's far from the truth. It has a whole range of tones from clean to dirty. The cleans are really good. The new version is my favorite so far. I went back and forth between it and the Fryette Deliverance 60 v2, really liked both, but would get the Savage 60 MK2 because it's more versatile.

In my opinion, don't be swayed by people who say it's primarily a metal amp. You'll get a lot out of it.

Comment

Working...
                        X