No announcement yet.

So what does AA763 really mean anyway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what does AA763 really mean anyway?

I've been looking at schematics for my upcoming Bogen-butchery project. Thinking this amp will make a good "Fender" I started looking at 2x6L6 schematics, AA763, AB763 and the 6G12-A Concert.

What's up with Fender's numbering scheme? I see so many schematics all labeled AA763 - Super Reverb with tube recto, Bandmaster (no reverb) with SS recto, Showman with SS recto and 4 output tubes. Yeesh!

The Bogen already has a tube recto, so I guess I'll make it a sorta Super-clone, but as a head only. Which is the "classic" Super Reverb schematic, the AA or the AB?

Anybody know how the Super and the Concert differ tonally? They're both 2x6L6 4x10" combos, but the Concert has SS rectifiers and (counter-intuitively) lower voltages throughout. Weird.

Maybe it should be a JTM45 instead.
    Last edited by Rich_S; 01-05-2006, 12:52 PM.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Re: So what does AA763 really mean anyway?

ooo ... good question ... I've kinda wondered that myself, since several circuits are designated A-763. Maybe it was a date - 7/'63 - of the first version of the circuit

BTW, I think the Deluxe Reverb RI circuit is also probably AB763.

just a guess, but I don't have time to check right now ... maybe the Fender Field Guide has some info?
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

my dlx reverb says ab763 on the tube layout sticker

Comment

I checked the Fender Amp Field Guide - for a Deluxe Reverb, it list the dates as '63-'67, so I'm still guessing that "763" refers to the date of the first circuit
        ------------------------------

upon further looking in the FAQ:

Circuit Code: In 1963 Fender stoped using model numbers to identify schematics and began using the model name and an assigned circuit number. These circuit numbers which are located on the tube chart can be usefull for getting a rough date on an amp. Fender often used the same circuit for many years so this is not a very accurate method for amp dating. The code is simple, the first two letters are the revision, where AA is the first revision, AB is the second, etc. The next one or two numbers are the month where January is 1 and December is 12. The last two numbers are the year.
        Example: AB763 = second revision, July, 1963
        Last edited by Curly; 01-05-2006, 01:37 PM.
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

I compiled an Exel spreadsheet of the data from the Fender Amp Field guide on all of the specs and circuit #'s for the individual amps. Shoot me a pm with your email and I'll send you a copy. This goes for anyone who wants a copy.
          '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

I tried uploading the zipped file before and it didn't work, but did this time. Here you go for anyone who wants it.
            Last edited by JumpMarine; 03-05-2007, 07:15 PM.
            '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

The brown-era Concert was the 4x10" replacement in the product line for the 5F6A Bassman (after the Bassman went to piggyback)...model continued into BF era. Differences---SS rectifier, no mid control, no reverb available, it got dropped about, what, 1964-65 or so? Basically a Bandmaster (same chassis size) with a Super OT. There was no such critter as a non-reverb BF Super.

I don't know about plate voltages on the BF's, but the brown era Concerts had pretty high B+. Tonally, the BF Concert is close to a Super Reverb, not quite as much headroom, with perhaps a tad more front end 'gain' due to no reverb losses.

BTW---why bother doing the BF thing to the Bogen? Why not a 5F6A or a 5E7? The BF is a lot more trouble, more insertion loss, more parts---?

Comment

aa763
                Concert Blackface
                Combo
                '63-'65
                4x10
                Tremolo
                2x5881/6l6gc
                Fixed, AP
                Solid State
                12at7

Comment

Originally posted by ES350
                  BTW---why bother doing the BF thing to the Bogen? Why not a 5F6A or a 5E7? The BF is a lot more trouble, more insertion loss, more parts---?
                  I dunno - in my thinking, the Blackfaces epitomize the Fender "loud and clean" stereotype. My first homebrew is a Marshall, so I figured I'd go the other way this time. I figure the 5F6A Bassman is sort of in between what we think of as "Marshall" and "Fender" (if we're really generalizing). How different or similar is a tweed Bassman to a Brown or BF Super with the reverb and trem stripped out?
                  Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                  Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

the tweed amps have a much thicker mid voice that i tend to prefer

Comment

Working...
                    X