Which speaker combination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which speaker combination?

Currently, I'm running G12H30's in a 4x12 bottom cab, which sounds pretty good, but I might be able to do even better. I play mainly 80's and 90's style metal. If I want a good aggressive tone with plenty of bite (but not harsh), should I run:

G12H30's and V30's mixed in an X-pattern

or

G12T75's and V30's mixed in an X pattern

or

V30's only

or

G12T75's only

or stick with my G12H30's?

Re: Which speaker combination?

IMO, stick to the G12H30's. A lot of guys used the original run of 30 watt speakers in their cabs during the 80's. They didn't always use 80's production speakers. The V30's would give a bit more upper mids perhaps, but the 75's are for scooped mids styles.

Comment

I've tried almost every combination of Celestions you can think of- and I came to the conclusion that whatever works for your own style is best.
      All a matter of trying to get the sound thats in your head!
      " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

the most popular combination for metal now (it seems) is the X of g12t75's and v30's

I concluded that if you play high gain, you will most likely NOT be happy with g12h30's, they're really just a rock & roll speaker, real warm & balanced & all that, and therefore mud up much easier than '75s or v30's. Even if i max out the gain on my TS i notice that i lose a lot of articulation, and that's not a high gain pedal by any stretch of the imagination

they handle blues, classic rock, rockabilly, stoner rock, and psychobilly REALLY well, but anything else they just won't do
        Originally posted by gibson175
        metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

bump

anyone else have an opinion?

Comment

The X G12T-75 with Vintage 30s sound like a good idea, and I haven't ever heard anyone complaining about this combination.

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

Working...
            X