Best amp that can do bass and guitar under $300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best amp that can do bass and guitar under $300

It's my girlfriends birthday coming up and she has neither a bass amp nor guitar amp, but has both instruments. What's a good cheap bass amp that can also do guitar well? I'm looking at a Rumble 40 rn and I hear that one is almost like a Bassman

I had the Rumble 100 and it took to the guitar and gain very well

Comment

I know the Peavey Vypyr series had guitar amp and bass amp models included. They made several combos.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My Peavey TNT 130 would probably do both. Maybe a bit dark for guitar, but certainly useable.

Comment

A Katana will do anything.
          https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

I vote Kantana
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Katana guitar or bass amp?

I'd be concerned about a guitar tuned speaker being flogged by the low-end of a bass. You could turn down the bass frequencies on the amp, but the risk is still there at higher volume. Anyone have experience with this on a Katana guitar amp combo?

Sending the amp output to a separate bass cab could be a workaround but would also add cost to an otherwise budget option.
              Last edited by Animal; 05-28-2023, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Animal View Post
                Katana guitar or bass amp?

I'd be concerned about a guitar tuned speaker being flogged by the low-end of a bass. You could turn down the bass frequencies on the amp, but the risk is still there at higher volume. Anyone have experience with this on a Katana guitar amp combo?

Sending the amp output to a separate bass cab could be a workaround but would also add cost to an otherwise budget option.
                Modeler amps tend to have neutral speakers -so they can handle guitar and bass better anyways
                Last edited by NegativeEase; 05-28-2023, 07:10 AM.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Well, the Katana isn't marketed as a bass amp, too, and I don't think it includes bass amp models.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Modeler amps tend to have neutral speakers -so they can handle guitar and bass better anyways
                    Hmm, my impression is that the Katana speakers are designed to be guitar voiced rather than full-range.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      Well, the Katana isn't marketed as a bass amp, too, and I don't think it includes bass amp models.
                      More likely a suggestion as they have plenty of clean power on tap and are so ubiquitous.

There is a Katana bass amp series, but I'm not sure if that is what is being suggested.
                      Last edited by Animal; 05-29-2023, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        I feel like I didnt get the instructions right or something.

OP is looking for a SUB 300 dollar amp that can do both right?

I mean, it's not going to sound like an SVT.

There is a compromise to be struck at that price point

Comment

Originally posted by Animal View Post

Hmm, my impression is that the Katana speakers are designed to be guitar voiced rather than full-range.
                          My experience is that the less expensive Kantanas are pretty neutral in voicing and rely on the processing to shape the tone, and the mid and high end Kantanas have more particularly voiced speakers -especially the Wazakraft versions...

I mean, they refer to this in several Katana demo videos....

Can you get to a store and try a few of these and Fenders and see how you feel?
                          Last edited by NegativeEase; 05-28-2023, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Well, that's why I suggested the Vypyr, as it has bass models in there as well as a bunch of guitar models.

Comment

I've got a friend with a Rumble 40. It's great for bass, I'll let you know the guitar tones on it this Thursday if you aren't set on making a decision right away.
                              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
                              X