(another) Amp problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (another) Amp problem

Recently my amp has developed a new and interesting problem, it seems that the input jack is comming loose and shorting out.

When I purchased the amp about a year ago the nut and washer that hold the input jack still had been stripped off, but until now it hasn't been a problem.

Now when I play lightly the amp occasionally drops to very low volumes, when I play louder the problem is more frequent, and ocompanied by a scratching noise (or sometimes a noise resembling my guitar being unplugged). The problem is usually fixed by adjusting the cord at the amp input.

The jack is pretty loose, and when I removed the back cover of the amp the jack was sitting slightly lower and seemed to be dissconected from the circuit board.

Any idea's?

Re: (another) Amp problem

Originally posted by Eg303
    The jack is pretty loose, and when I removed the back cover of the amp the jack was sitting slightly lower and seemed to be dissconected from the circuit board.

Any idea's?
    Resolder or replace the jack.
    THE LOST ART OF BEING STOIC
    1. Quit your whining.
    2. Quit your crying.
    3. Suck it up.
    If in doubt, ask yourself: What would Clint do?

Comment

Is that a fairly easy thing, or should I take it to an amp tech?

I think I will need a new input, so this doesnt happen again.

Forgot to mention, its an early '90's Fender Blues Deluxe

Comment

if the jack is mounted onto the chassis of the amp, and not onto the circuit board, then it would be easy to pick up a new jack and just solder the wires onto it. otherwise if the jack itself is mounted onto the circuit board, then i would probably take it into a qualified professional.
        gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
        '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
        mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
        marshall 1960A 4x12
        and a few pedals

Comment

This is one of the more common problems wth the Blues Deluxe/Deville series. The jack, with plastic threads that are easily stripped, is mounted to the PC board. Best bet is to take it to a tech and have him replace it with a conventional Swtchcraft type that is mounted to the chassis and with leads going to the connections on the board. If you use the Fender direct replacement part, expect it to happen again. Might as well do both inputs since the other can give you problems even if you don't use it much.

Comment

Working...
          X