banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall Mode Four

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Beer$ View Post

    Daisy chaining amps? I’ve got to hear that. So he didn’t split the guitar signal? Was he using the tuner outs to go into the next amp? I have heard of people doing that.
    TBH I don't even know what or how he was planning on that feat...I just know 5 full bore mode fours would be deafening..
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
      Hahahaha, I would've loved to hear that. MASSIVE amounts of low-end.

      But to be fair, I don't remember the MF being obnoxiously loud? Rather just having TONS of bottom-end. Lows take the most power to amplify. Like ridiculously so. More than a Recto.

      I mean, it could hang in a loud full-band easily, it wasn't disappointing or anything... but not any more than your average 50W tube head?

      Then again, you have one right beside your tube amp, so I'd trust you'd know more how loud it gets. I never got to crank mine in fear It'd destroy my cab. Luckily, back then, my 1960 had V30's/T75's. It would surely pulverize my 1960 with Greenbacks now, LOL.
      Agreed, if you ran greenbacks under that head, something would have to give
      I run K100s and Manowars under mine when I crank it up.

      And , well, they do push 350w...even though that doesn't always equate to raw volume, it certainly can't hurt.
      Depending on the load of the cabinet, but full stack 16ohm cabinets it's pushing 350watts.
      I have accidentally bumped my volume knob and it will hurt you. At least scare you really bad. It's a lot louder than every amp I've ever played through. My DSLs were notably loud amps. The 6505+ is pretty loud, the JVM is loud, the JSX is pretty loud. The more four is a whole lot of loud. I can't really imagine 5 of them together! Frocking stadium volume!
      Last edited by 80's_Thrash_Metal; 08-12-2023, 11:21 PM.
      https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post

        Agreed, if you ran greenbacks under that head, something would have to give
        I run K100s and Manowars under mine when I crank it up.

        And , well, they do push 350w...even though that doesn't always equate to raw volume, it certainly can't hurt.
        Depending on the load of the cabinet, but full stack 16ohm cabinets it's pushing 350watts.
        I have accidentally bumped my volume knob and it will hurt you. At least scare you really bad. It's a lot louder than every amp I've ever played through. My DSLs were notably loud amps. The 6505+ is pretty loud, the JVM is loud, the JSX is pretty loud. The more four is a whole lot of loud. I can't really imagine 5 of them together! Frocking stadium volume!
        Maybe the volume pot is more linear than on a 5150/6505. I remember runing mine in a band once with an obnoxiously loud drummer (with out of tune ugly-sounding drums), and I had it crank it up around 11:30 if not 12:00. I've never had to crank a 6505 past 3-3.5 (out of 10), and that's REALLY loud.

        However, I won't doubt you since I've never had the two side by side.

        I've also had an AVT150H, though at a different time. That one didn't struggle for volume either, but it wasn't painfully loud.

        The Mode Four did had A LOT of bottom-end on tap if you want it to, though. I'm surprised more doom guys don't use one. I'm sure the MF put a Sunn to shame if you wanted it to.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
          Maybe the volume pot is more linear than on a 5150/6505. I remember runing mine in a band once with an obnoxiously loud drummer (with out of tune ugly-sounding drums), and I had it crank it up around 11:30 if not 12:00. I've never had to crank a 6505 past 3-3.5 (out of 10), and that's REALLY loud.

          However, I won't doubt you since I've never had the two side by side.

          I've also had an AVT150H, though at a different time. That one didn't struggle for volume either, but it wasn't painfully loud.

          The Mode Four did had A LOT of bottom-end on tap if you want it to, though. I'm surprised more doom guys don't use one. I'm sure the MF put a Sunn to shame if you wanted it to.

          Mode four also has channel volume and master volume.

          ​​​​​​my first one was louder than the one I own now. Maybe there is some differences between years of manufacturing.
          doesn't seem like they made them for very long.
          And I agree with you, I can't believe more people didn't really take to the amp. I think it got marketed as a numetal amp and that killed it. Tube snobs already hate hybrids to begin with, so...why not hate on it.
          Ha ha ha I say, hate all you want, I'll buy them up!
          https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

          Comment


          • #20
            I wouldn't mind buying one again if I find one for a low price, which I'm sure it's not hard to come by.

            The thing is right now I've only got a 1x12 with a 50W speaker. I'm sure just letting the Mode Four close would blow the speaker, hahaha.

            Another good thing about the MF is you can have it unplugged from a speaker, and just run the FX loop into an IR.

            Comment


            • #21
              There is an emulated out on the back of the amp too, that's supposed to be really good for recording.
              I've never used it, but I have read a lot of forum reviews about it.
              https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
                There is an emulated out on the back of the amp too, that's supposed to be really good for recording.
                I've never used it, but I have read a lot of forum reviews about it.
                I remember trying it. I thought it sounded like an analog emulation of a speaker. It was as good as it can be, I guess. I'd still rather use IR's, personally.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I'm sure IRs have come a long way since they designed that port on that amp way back when ha ha ha.

                  ​​​​​​
                  https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
                    I'm sure IRs have come a long way since they designed that port on that amp way back when ha ha ha.

                    ​​​​​​
                    They sound their absolute best IMO when you have the power amp sound in there before the IR, either with a loadbox that has a line out like the two notes torpedo captor or at least a slave out situation after the power amp, before the output transformer like the Mesa Boogie slave out of the XLR out on my Fender “The Twin” which is amazingly useful running things either in front or into the fx return, then getting a balanced, post power-tube sound before the IRs.

                    The difference is so much more lively in a mix without requiring radical EQ changes. It’s similar to the difference between resistive load only vs reactive load. I mostly prefer my own speakers mic’d my way for any final product though I’ve been more open to blending in IRs, as long as most of the hi-mid information has a real speaker moving.
                    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

                    Lead guitarist and vocalist of...



                    Keep up to date on our Facebook

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Beer$ View Post

                      They sound their absolute best IMO when you have the power amp sound in there before the IR, either with a loadbox that has a line out like the two notes torpedo captor or at least a slave out situation after the power amp, before the output transformer like the Mesa Boogie slave out of the XLR out on my Fender “The Twin” which is amazingly useful running things either in front or into the fx return, then getting a balanced, post power-tube sound before the IRs.

                      The difference is so much more lively in a mix without requiring radical EQ changes. It’s similar to the difference between resistive load only vs reactive load. I mostly prefer my own speakers mic’d my way for any final product though I’ve been more open to blending in IRs, as long as most of the hi-mid information has a real speaker moving.
                      Depends on how the IR was captured. If the IR was captured including the poweramp coloration, then it might be a good idea to just plug the preamp out into the IR.

                      But that makes them more suceptible to what you plug into them. Those Catharsis IR's that were in fashion when the IR craze started in Metal were SUPER bassy if you plugged anything but a 5150 preamp in. On the other hand, if you tried pluggin in a 5150's preamp into an IR captured with a Rectifier's poweramp, it would come out sounding super thin an fizzy.

                      The current commercial IR's captured with more or less transparent poweramps do work better the way you mention, though. Many people complain about the Torpedo stuff not having a reactive load the way a real speaker behaves, though. Every loadbox sounds different too. None is 100% transparent.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/376jt...sse024qm1&dl=0

                        I also found this super sloppy clip of my Mode Four and what the Tone Matrix knob did to the sound. This was the FX send into an IR. I didn't have a cab when I first got the Mode Four. I bought a 1960A later to with it.

                        Position 1 sounds like it has the most sub-lows. Position 2 sounds bright and aggressive, but kinda thin and harsh. Position 3 kinda sounds horrible like if you pushed the Tone Shift button on the DSL's/TSL's.

                        This leads me to belive what was really over-the-top as far as bass and treble goes is the MF's poweramp, since those clips do sound bassy and scooped, but not ridiculously so.
                        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 08-18-2023, 12:58 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          .

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                            Depends on how the IR was captured. If the IR was captured including the poweramp coloration, then it might be a good idea to just plug the preamp out into the IR.

                            But that makes them more suceptible to what you plug into them. Those Catharsis IR's that were in fashion when the IR craze started in Metal were SUPER bassy if you plugged anything but a 5150 preamp in. On the other hand, if you tried pluggin in a 5150's preamp into an IR captured with a Rectifier's poweramp, it would come out sounding super thin an fizzy.

                            The current commercial IR's captured with more or less transparent poweramps do work better the way you mention, though. Many people complain about the Torpedo stuff not having a reactive load the way a real speaker behaves, though. Every loadbox sounds different too. None is 100% transparent.
                            Yeah, I assumed the current standard of using a flat, probably class D power amp that imparts as little colouration as possible, otherwise they’re cripplingly overspecialised. It’s what turned me off IRs when they popped up in the mid 2000s. There just wanted any quality control yet and you just didn’t know what you were getting. I figured out convolution and started making my own pretty quickly. I still have some, the speaker setup from my band’s first album and a setup that virtually nails Fear Factory’s Obsolete tone.

                            I’ve never actually used the captor, I figured anything that lets you grab a line level post power amp with a reactive load would do the trick (doing it with resistive load sounds like there’s a blanket over it!) I also figured every reactive would sound a little different the same way every actual speaker would, Have they made IRs optimised for live sound for people who use some kind of IR loader on their pedalboard?

                            I’ve heard complaints that even analog speaker sims like what’s on the Power Stage sound more coherent in the FOH than the IRs which seem better suited for studio use and just wash out and get buried. Can’t really say myself, haven’t tried it!

                            I just listened to that Mode Four clip and I really like it! Is it straight in? Boosted? It reminds me of Prong’s Cleansing tone but even more Prong than Prong! The riff is a little bit like Who’s Fist. Has a bit of Arch Enemy Rise Of the Tyrant sound mixed in too. Can’t argue with that at all. Bad@ss.
                            Last edited by El Dunco; 08-18-2023, 02:35 PM.
                            The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

                            Lead guitarist and vocalist of...



                            Keep up to date on our Facebook

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                              Yeah, I assumed the current standard of using a flat, probably class D power amp that imparts as little colouration as possible, otherwise they’re cripplingly overspecialised. It’s what turned me off IRs when they popped up in the mid 2000s. There just wanted any quality control yet and you just didn’t know what you were getting. I figured out convolution and started making my own pretty quickly. I still have some, the speaker setup from my band’s first album and a setup that virtually nails Fear Factory’s Obsolete tone.

                              I’ve never actually used the captor, I figured anything that lets you grab a line level post power amp with a reactive load would do the trick (doing it with resistive load sounds like there’s a blanket over it!) I also figured every reactive would sound a little different the same way every actual speaker would, Have they made IRs optimised for live sound for people who use some kind of IR loader on their pedalboard?

                              I’ve heard complaints that even analog speaker sims like what’s on the Power Stage sound more coherent in the FOH than the IRs which seem better suited for studio use and just wash out and get buried. Can’t really say myself, haven’t tried it!

                              I just listened to that Mode Four clip and I really like it! Is it straight in? Boosted? It reminds me of Prong’s Cleansing tone but even more Prong than Prong! The riff is a little bit like Who’s Fist. Has a bit of Arch Enemy Rise Of the Tyrant sound mixed in too. Can’t argue with that at all. Bad@ss.
                              The one on the OP or the one with the IR?

                              The first is Cloud Connected by In Flames, and then a couple of riffs from a friend's band (Hashem).

                              The second is Fixation on the Darkness by KSE.

                              But thank you! Both are boosted with an MXR Classic Overdrive set to GT-OD mode. That was my first TS-type I ever had.

                              Or do you mean 80's clip?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Nah, yours. That very last one you posted with the IR.
                                The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

                                Lead guitarist and vocalist of...



                                Keep up to date on our Facebook

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X