Have any reviews for Crate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have any reviews for Crate?

Anyone have any reviews of Crate compared to Marshall? I was think of getting a new Amp and was either going to go with a Marshall MG100DFX or a Crate half-stack GT1200H/G412SL. I haven't played too many Crates, so I want to know how they compare to Marshall. Specifically how much hiss/buzz Crates give off, and anything else you could tell me.

Thanks.

Re: Have any reviews for Crate?

Both, IMO are pretty poor.

if you are looking for a cheap SS amp head/cab, go to guitar center or MF, and pick up the B52 Solid State head...sounds much better than either the Marshall or Crate.

I've got a basically brand new one (head) here at the house, I'm selling ...bought it on a whim, unfortunately I'm selling the amp combo I used to run it through... and I don't have room for a 2x12 or 4x12 cab anyway

But for SS it's pretty good...not as good as the old 80s Marshall or Randall RG SS heads..but much better than the newer stuff out there.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

They both suck, straight up. I've heard decent things about the B-52, and also the Line 6 Spider II halfstacks would sound better than the Crate or Marshall. Also, look for a used tube head on eBay or look at the two B-52 tube heads, and get something like an Avatar cab. For the price of those halfstacks, you can get a better tube combo, quarterstack (2x12 cab), or halfstack.

Comment

I had tried the Marshall MG100DFXH and the Crate GT1200H side by side sometime ago and I think the Marshall MG100DFXH sounded better. I did not compare them to any tube amp because I didn't think they would sound as good. However, you really have to play with the controls to get the sound you want, and I think the MG100DFXH is more versatile in that regard.

Comment

In the SS realm, Randall + B-52 > Crate > Marshall

Comment

Unless you're specifically looking for solid state, you can get lots of good tube amps better than those off of fleabay for the same price or a little bit more. If you like Crate stuff check out the new V series stuff. I've only heard the tiny V8 (fantastic) but the V32 gets great reviews.
            My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
            or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
            http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
            700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

i have heard both and the crate is way better.

my two cents is that you should go with a crate GTX212. they are waaaay less buzzy than a GT. they sound better cause of the digital reverb they have.
              Mind you that i went to England and heard one of the GT1200 half stacks back to back with a all tube VHT deliverance. ok so the Crate didnt sound as good as the crate but the crate rocks. it sounds real good. i am gonna get the VHT but i was totally gonna get the crate. its around 500 bucks and does alot.

here is a site that is totally devoted to the crate and has sound clips.

this might piss some people off but man if you cant play then a boutique tube super dooper amp wont do crap. if you can play you can make a SS sound great. trust me.
              i was in a store and heard some kid grind out thrash cords sloppily on a VHTcl the other day and the first thing that came to mind was how crappy the amp sounded with him playing.
              check out the crate and see for yourself cause you might not like it.

i just think it does Marshall better than Marshall
              Ibanez Roadstar II
              EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
              VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Jack Nicholson: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Comment

If you are going Crate, make sure it has tubes. Even then, there are only a handful I find "good".

Comment

I owned both of those amps you're cormparing, I was never very happy with the Marshall so I only used it on it's clean channel. The crate I liked a little bit more...

Anyway, Crate has a few affordable and very nice tube amps you might want to check out. The V-30 with EL84's is awesome.

Rock On ~ kac
                  ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
                  2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
                  Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Originally posted by tone?
                    I'm sorry but this guy is a complete moron. Have you read his tech pages on "getting the brown sound"?

For a self proclaimed "pro" he sure doesn't provide much in the way of accurate information for us pee-ons who don't know anything

lesse...now I gotta go scoop my mids...buy one of those active Tone zone pickups, and a maple body strat and drill all kinds of extra holes in the neck to make it fit.

EDIT: ooops...my mistake...stay AWAY form active pups like the Tone Zone, and instead go for a good PAF like the Duncan JB
                    Last edited by JeffB; 01-08-2006, 05:52 PM.
                    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I always thought the tonezone was sterile

Comment

I remember i walked into a recording studio with acrate and the guy threw me out. then i bought a randell and he still threw me out. now im saving for a traynor ycv 50. hopefully i wont get thrown out.

Comment

I like my Crate GFX212, the clean sounds good the gain channels are not the best, they are better than most solid state I know except maybe line6. I want a tube amp now but they are the best for beginners I would go with a 60 watt with one twelve inch speaker though.
                          Fender and Squier Guitars, Crate Amps and Seymour Duncan Pickups.

Comment

I lurk here a lot but I felt I had to chime in. Crates are not that bad. It seems people are so stuck in the 80s when Crates really were lousy. I've heard some really nice sounds out of newer Crates.

I even had a Crate back in the day and hated it, but the new ones are pretty good. I had an old 80s Marshall ss head 3315 and it was dry and really bad. The MGs sound pretty much the same.

I think a lot of hatered for Crates are the same people who just hate SS. Tubes are cool, but jeez some of the sound just as bad if not worse then some of the new ss stuff out there.

Which brings me to a point. I have noticed some really nasty angry guitarists on BBs lately. Tubes or you're an idiot mentallity. LIGHTEN UP! Its just music, love you expensive amps and tubes and just be a little more open minded to others who might want something else.

Comment

Tube amps are better in most cases but Solid state will work if you are on a budget and know how to play. I get buy with the crate but really want something else but I am only 21 so I can wait and save, I just love to play and dont really care too much about gear but nicer is nicer.
                              Fender and Squier Guitars, Crate Amps and Seymour Duncan Pickups.

Comment

Working...
                              X