X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so what makes vertical inputs so great

???
    Originally posted by Gearjoneser
    Put the two together, and make it Kambone.

Re: so what makes vertical inputs so great

Are you talking about old jcm 800's? I have one with vertical imputs. That came up when I was looking for an amp a few years ago. I cannot remmeber what they said. I think it may be that the signal goes through less "stuff" before hitting the preamp. But I am not sure
    Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
    Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
    Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
    Epiphone LP Special w/JB
    Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
    Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
    1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
    Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Originally posted by Reckless Abandon
      Are you talking about old jcm 800's?
      yep
      Originally posted by Gearjoneser
      Put the two together, and make it Kambone.

Comment

81-84 are vertical afterwards are horz.I do know that.
        Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
        Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
        Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
        Epiphone LP Special w/JB
        Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
        Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
        1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
        Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

As i understand it the vertical imput ones are pretty much the same amp as the late 70's Marshalls but improved slightly... Later in the 80's they changed the 800 series around...

Comment

i sorta remember Robert_S. telling me something about those, maybe that it's they used good input jacks and they were handwired into the amp, not mounted on a circuit board. could be wrong, but I think I'm right.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Scott wins the prize. The 1984 and earlier JCM 800s had handwired pots and jacks. The horizontal jack amps are PC mounted.

Marshall amps are pretty year dependant tonally because Marshall has a history of using whatever parts were available at the time. Many players have a favorite year for plexis, 800s or whatever. Many folks seem to prefer the tone of the vert input 800s.
              www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
              www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
              http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

I've played through and have worked on and modded both...They both sound great....Later models had board mounted pots and earlier had hard wired pots off the board as mentioned...

Recently tweaked and went through a 100 watt horizontal combo JCM 800 for a forum member and it totally rocks!
                Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I can't imagine how PCB mounted pots over wired pots would make any tonal difference - surely it must be something else. It reminds me of the PTP vs PCB debate, whereas people have thought the board makes a difference when its in fact that many companies cut costs when they go to PCB or some other explaination.

Didn't they also reduce the amount of chassis mounted filtering caps when they changed to PCB mounted pots, or something like that?
                  Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
                  Marshall Mods

Comment

I think the main difference (but not positive) is that when they went from vertical to horizontal inputs, they also cheapened the design of the circuit board......meaning that they went from large tracer boards with bigger components, to smaller ones that were butted up against the front of the chassis with lower wattage components on it.

In theory, you'd think that it wouldn't change the sound much, but every little thing you do to a circuit changes things, especially when you turn up the amp and it amplifies those changes. It's the same thing as comparing pickups, even though the only thing that changed was the wind or polepiece material.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
                      Scott wins the prize. The 1984 and earlier JCM 800s had handwired pots and jacks. The horizontal jack amps are PC mounted.

Marshall amps are pretty year dependant tonally because Marshall has a history of using whatever parts were available at the time. Many players have a favorite year for plexis, 800s or whatever. Many folks seem to prefer the tone of the vert input 800s.
                      \

Scary thing is that you probably told me that about 5 years ago and I actually remembered!

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Working...
                      X