No announcement yet.

Preamp tube shootout: Reccomendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preamp tube shootout: Reccomendations?

After reading Gearjonser's and Rocker35's preamp tube shootouts, among many others, I am eager to do my own shootout, only I have no idea where to start with preamp tubes, and I am looking for some reccomendations. So far, the GT 12AX7 C looks like a definite contender. Also, I'm considering the JJ's, EH's, Ei, all 12AX7's for now. I'm sure there are more out there, and I would like some input as to others to try.

For reference, I'm using a Mesa Boogie Rectoverb II. I'm almost completely satisfied with the sounds I'm getting, but I would like a more high-mids to highs (that Marshally frequency), and a little more body on the clean channel. I don't know if any combination of tubes can get me there, but I'd like to try!

I think 5 tubes should be a substantial competition: What do you guys reccommend? Thanks!
    woooooo

Re: Preamp tube shootout: Reccomendations?

I use a couple of the Mesa Mark Series amps--I have two Mark IIIs (112 combo and 200 watt Coliseum head) and a Mark IV 112 combo.

I seem to have figured out that I like the GT12AX7-M "Mullard clone" in V1--this seems to give the creamy-est clean tones. Your V1 tube HAS to be very low noise and non-microphonic in any Mesa amp--it MUST be your highest quality tube. Unfortunately, the GT-M can vary quite a bit--so you may need to try a few to find the "best" one.

For your "Lead Channel" the GT-M will also work. I have found that I prefer the Electro-Harmonix 12AX7-EH for a slightly brighter and ballsier tone that seems to cut through better than the GT-M. Again, this tube MUST be of very high quality. You can also consider a specially graded "High-gain" tube for this socket.

Should you prefer a darker tone, look to the JJ-12AX7. I bought some of these from Bob Pletka at Eurotubes, and he is great to work with. Though not my particular favorite in the usage described above, the JJ is a very good tube. He can do "high-gain" grading and also offers a 12AX7 with balanced sides. But to my ear, these have a darker tone--which might be just the tone YOU are looking for.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

me= mesa markIV, mark IIB,stiletto deuce.i love mid/high marshall tones also.ive tried a bunch and for the $ i use EH 12ax7 they can take the abuse and sound killer!! sventlana power tubes rip in my boogies also!!
      my band
      Red Hot Rebellion
      www.redhotrebellion.com

LP's & Marshall's

Comment

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, AVOID the GT “Mullard” 12AX7s!! Every single one of those tubes is defective. There is a metallurgy issue with the parts inside the tube that causes a chemical reaction resulting in hissing, popping, oscillation and ultimately tube failure. If your lucky enough to find one that actually works right out of the box, it will sound good at first, but it will go bad in a short time, guaranteed. I’ve had four of them go bad on me, and the exact same thing has happened to several others I know that have bought that tube. GT is aware of the problem but so far I’ve not heard anything from them regarding what they plan to do to correct the problem.

The best new production 12AX7 I’ve heard is the New Sensor Tung Sol re-issue. They sound BETTER than the GT Mullard, and they don’t have the reliability issues that the GT tube does, so they actually work. The fact that GT is selling a tube for $25 that they KNOW is defective shows me what kind of company they are. They won’t get a cent from me ever again.

Cheers,

CJ
        www.myspace.com/cjreaper

Comment

Originally posted by Usurper666
          I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, AVOID the GT “Mullard” 12AX7s!! Every single one of those tubes is defective. There is a metallurgy issue with the parts inside the tube that causes a chemical reaction resulting in hissing, popping, oscillation and ultimately tube failure. If your lucky enough to find one that actually works right out of the box, it will sound good at first, but it will go bad in a short time, guaranteed. I’ve had four of them go bad on me, and the exact same thing has happened to several others I know that have bought that tube. GT is aware of the problem but so far I’ve not heard anything from them regarding what they plan to do to correct the problem.

The best new production 12AX7 I’ve heard is the New Sensor Tung Sol re-issue. They sound BETTER than the GT Mullard, and they don’t have the reliability issues that the GT tube does, so they actually work. The fact that GT is selling a tube for $25 that they KNOW is defective shows me what kind of company they are. They won’t get a cent from me ever again.

Cheers,

CJ
          I haven't heard good reliabilty topics mentioned at all regarding this Mullard GT tube either...Haven't wasted any money on em yet...
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I use a couple of the Mesa Mark Series amps--I have two Mark IIIs (112 combo and 200 watt Coliseum head) and a Mark IV 112 combo.

I seem to have figured out that I like the GT12AX7-M "Mullard clone" in V1--this seems to give the creamy-est clean tones. Your V1 tube HAS to be very low noise and non-microphonic in any Mesa amp--it MUST be your highest quality tube. Unfortunately, the GT-M can vary quite a bit--so you may need to try a few to find the "best" one.

For your "Lead Channel" the GT-M will also work. I have found that I prefer the Electro-Harmonix 12AX7-EH for a slightly brighter and ballsier tone that seems to cut through better than the GT-M. Again, this tube MUST be of very high quality. You can also consider a specially graded "High-gain" tube for this socket.

Should you prefer a darker tone, look to the JJ-12AX7. I bought some of these from Bob Pletka at Eurotubes, and he is great to work with. Though not my particular favorite in the usage described above, the JJ is a very good tube. He can do "high-gain" grading and also offers a 12AX7 with balanced sides. But to my ear, these have a darker tone--which might be just the tone YOU are looking for.

Bill
            Bill, I have one of those GT Mullard reissues I picked up in NYC one time. The lead channel just sings with smooth overdrive that is really a joy to play, but the clean channel loses some of the sparkle that I like, although it does give a nice smooth, creamy clean tone. That's just not my thing. As for the JJ, I'm definately not looking for anything much darker, which is why the EH seems to be a better choice for me.

Originally posted by THE DUG
            me= mesa markIV, mark IIB,stiletto deuce.i love mid/high marshall tones also.ive tried a bunch and for the $ i use EH 12ax7 they can take the abuse and sound killer!! sventlana power tubes rip in my boogies also!!
            Do you use the regular 12AX7 EH, or the one's with gold plating? What benefits does gold plating have?

Originally posted by Usurper666

Cheers,

CJ
            CJ, I have one and it seriously must be the only non-defective one. I have heard all the hype about them, and then within months heard all those hypers complaining about how the tube has failed, or is in the process of doing so. I can't say it sounds bad - but I'm afraid it won't last very long (I don't use it much anyhow.)

I've also heard lots of good things about the new Tung Sol, but have heard some negatives too. I guess the only way to find out is to buy one!

Thanks all so far, and keep 'em comin'!
            woooooo

Comment

Working...
            X