NC(s)D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NC(s)D

Well I've head the both for about a month now..

Cab #1 is a Laney 2x12 (GS212IE) loaded w/ V30's. Sounds great. I'm not a big fan of V30's not cuz they are'nt fantastic speakers (they are) but cuz they're just too overused imo. Still they are a definite upgrade over the stock Laney HH drivers which are actually pretty decent/usable speakers (just not V30 good). I came across it in some local classifieds & the price was too good to ignore..so I snagged it.

Cab #2 is my 1x12 (almost 2x12 sized) unloaded cab that I bought on my local Amazon. I was looking for something cheap to put the Celestion Creamback 65(M) I bought from a buddy of mine...and this one ticked all the boxes. Welll actually a pair of them cuz they were sold as a pair. It's a step up from the carpet covered subwoofer 1x12 cabs I had in mind. These are for PA/sound reinforcement and very well made from 'void free marine grade ply"..

I wired one of them up with two output jacks in series so I can connect it to another cab if I get the urge.. like so..

This is in stereo with the two cabs daisy-chained and a mic (AT MB2K) on the Creamback 1x12 & another mic (SM57) on one V30 in the Laney cab:

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

I like the Laney HH speakers
    but that sounds great too

got a link to the Amazon Cab?
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I like the Laney and thought about getting one and putting better speakers in it

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
        I like the Laney HH speakers
        but that sounds great too

got a link to the Amazon Cab?
        Yeah, HH speakers are absolutely fine in my book. I still have 4 of them in my cheap Laney camo 4x12. It's a killer sounding cab ..especially for what it cost.

I bought the cab on the local amazon website (Amazon India). It's unlikely that they will ship abroad (and shipping would probably be really steep anyway cuz these are'nt lightweight. ) They don' seem to have anything listed on Amazon now anyway. The lady/sales rep from the company contacted me soon after i'd placed my order & told me they were having some "problems" with Amazon & if I wanted anything again in future to contact them directly. Said she'd give me better price too. But I'm done w/ cabs I think

Om Sound Box Works - speaker cabinet, Speaker Cabinets & dj speaker Manufacturer from Pune, Maharashtra, India

Like I said I don't know if that's ^^ any help

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
          I like the Laney and thought about getting one and putting better speakers in it
          This is my second Laney 2x12 I also have an Ironheart Cab which looks to be exactly the same.. They're pretty solid well made cabs & the HH drivers are actually pretty decent too..as in swapping them out isn't really a necessity.

Youtube

Comment

Creamback vs V30 (Mono). Mics on edge of dustcap but there's probably a little variation cuz I just used my eyes/judgement (and they are'nt what they used to )

Youtube

Comment

Thanks

EHD

Comment

Both V30's in the in the Laney Cab (2mics/stereo)

I think the mics should have probably been a half-inch or so away from the edge of the dustcap where I put them..cuz it's a bit shrill in the highs sometimes ..oh well, next time..

Youtube

Comment

Love the feel of them for tapping/squealies though

Youtube

Comment

I loaded one of my Electro-Harmonix 75W speakers into the other 1x12 cab & fixed it up (new back plate with 2x1/4" jacks instead of the speakons it came with, silver protective corners, Yamaha bike tank logo etc). It sounds great. The EH speaker is a lot like a G12T75 Celestion. looser/rounder feel/open, relaxed mids/smooth but still growly...great harmonic overtones for leads. The venue I used to play at a lot w/ my band had 1960 4x12's loaded w/ them in the backline, so did the Marshall cab's in our jam room ..so I've used them pretty extensively, in fact they're the Celestion's I'm most familiar with. These EH are 90% the exact same thing..

Youtube

Comment

I like the EH 75 watt speakers
                      i have one as well
                      The price was less than $50 delivered

Thick throaty mids
                      EHD

Comment

MIne has nice smooth fat mids, not raspy like a V30 at all. They're supposed to be modelled on "vintage Celestion's" and though I assumed V30's when I bought them..they're def in the G12T 75 camp. I read somewhere that they sound even bigger when they're broken in? I know the Laney HH's really open up & sound a hell of a lot thicker/sweeter when they're nicely broken in..

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                          MIne has nice smooth fat mids, not raspy like a V30 at all. They're supposed to be modelled on "vintage Celestion's" and though I assumed V30's when I bought them..they're def in the G12T 75 camp. I read somewhere that they sound even bigger when they're broken in? I know the Laney HH's really open up & sound a hell of a lot thicker/sweeter when they're nicely broken in..
                          mine does

my HH is in a 90s GC80A, solid state combo, I got from Guitar Player Magazine years ago

and the EHX speaker is in a homemade cab that I need to rehouse in something better
                          but it sounds fine where its at
                          EHD

Comment

Well...if it ain't broke

This is w/ my Brutus Live 30W head (5881's). Tuning's a hair off/flat cuz I just grabbed the closest guitar to check if the cab worked after I'd hooked everything up..

No Fx...just the amp/cab -> Reaper.

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 02-26-2024, 06:49 PM.

Youtube

Comment

And the Electro harmonix cab w/ my 15W Goldea..

In other news, I also ended up with an Eminence Man-O-War (8ohms) my buddy at the studio had an extra one for sale & he said they're awesome so I picked it up (cheap). It's still in his cab so I'll have to pick it up after he has it out. I know 80's_Thrash_Metal uses them and gets great rhythm tones w/ them. But there's not much else I know about them. Don't think I've ever heard any lead tones either..still..they seem pretty middy so I guess they will sound nice & eh, half price is half price

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X