banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a pedal to drive my JCM900 open back combo and tighten up the bass. Any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a pedal to drive my JCM900 open back combo and tighten up the bass. Any ideas?

Hi, wasn't sure which forum to post this thread in but i figure its an amp question at the end of the day so.......... I need some kind of overdrive pedal to drive my jcm900's gain making it thicker and more modern especially at lower volumes. Also i need a pedal that can tighten up the bass for palm mute chunkiness. My amp has an open back.

Any suggestions? i do already own a 7 band eq which helps a bit but there is still something lacking

thanks
    Michael Kelly Patriot Black w/Rockfield Fat Ass set
    Roland Microcube

Rotosound Strings

Shure SM57 mic
    Dunlop Jazz III and Ultex Picks

Re: Need a pedal to drive my JCM900 open back combo and tighten up the bass. Any ideas?

This is the right forum. Amp and pedal topics go here.

I'll recommend them again, the Boss SD-1 or MXR Wylde Overdrive or a Tube Screamer (or one of its many clones). The bass will only get so tight because of the open back. If it were closed, it would tighten up more. You can do a partial closed back or sit the amp closer to the wall, but leave enough room for heat from the tubes to escape.

Other than the pedals suggested, only because I use two of them and have tried a TS through my MkIII head, your best bet would be to play some at a local shop. Take the amp with you and one of your guitars.

Comment

Re: Need a pedal to drive my JCM900 open back combo and tighten up the bass. Any ideas?

I experienced this problem before and because of the open back the bass just get too tight.

So what I did was adjust the bass on the EQ on both the amp and the pedal and let it be at its best.
      Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
      Gibson 1959 reissue
      Gibson 1960 reissue
      Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

Try buying a 1x12 extension. IT will have a thicker sound and more bass, then get an overdrive. You will be happier may cost you 150 more though. Then again you may be happy enough with the sound without the pedal.
        Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
        Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
        Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
        Epiphone LP Special w/JB
        Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
        Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
        1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
        Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Originally posted by DesertRose
          I experienced this problem before and because of the open back the bass just get too tight.

So what I did was adjust the bass on the EQ on both the amp and the pedal and let it be at its best.
          Really? Open backs for me got the bass too loose. Had to put them up against a wall or close to one or make it semi-closed.

Comment

Digitech Bad Monkey. Excellent pedal for just what you describe. And cheap too.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
              Really? Open backs for me got the bass too loose. Had to put them up against a wall or close to one or make it semi-closed.
              ARGHH ..
              I didn't see that. It was supposed to be TOO LOOSE and not too tight
              What am I saying .. this could cause a riot ..

YeaH .. the amp is by a wall, not too close though =)
              Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
              Gibson 1959 reissue
              Gibson 1960 reissue
              Gibson EDS-1275

Comment

Re: Need a pedal to drive my JCM900 open back combo and tighten up the bass. Any idea

Originally posted by DesertRose
                ARGHH ..
                I didn't see that. It was supposed to be TOO LOOSE and not too tight
                What am I saying .. this could cause a riot ..

YeaH .. the amp is by a wall, not too close though =)
                LOL...no worries, bro. It happens. It's been a rough day for me too.

My little Crate gets really loose in the bass when it's not up against anything too so it's not just a tube amp thing. It's really the cabinet their in, open back vs. closed back. As soon as I plug that same Crate into the 4x12, she tightens right up.

Comment

Change one or both of the speakers to the Celestion G12H-30...these will help with the bass response a bunch. You can only get so many lows out of an open back, but these will help.

As far as a pedal to thump things up, my choice would either be a Carl Martin Plexitone or a Rising Sun.
                  My Sound Clips

Comment

is there a whole seller for this G12H-30 speaker and such ?
                    Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
                    Gibson 1959 reissue
                    Gibson 1960 reissue
                    Gibson EDS-1275

Comment

www.avatarspeakers.com . Check out his Hellatone 30 and 60. They are already broken in versions of the V30 and the G12H. The G12H version is the 30 watter.
                      My Sound Clips

Comment

Ok i have ordered a digitech Bad Monkey. I have heard nothing but good things about these pedals. many people even preferring them over un-modded Tubescreamers!! I'll let you know how i get on. if this pedal doesn't do the trick then i will probably just sell my JCM900. Am i right in thinking that my JCM is one of the better models?

Check my signature to see which model it is. it also has a british made celestion speaker which are expenive these days right?

oh another thing, if i do sell my jcm, i have just had new tubes fitted and biased. would i be able to take them all out and put the old ones back in with my bare hands. just a straight swap?? any problem with this? thanks
                        Last edited by SepultuRick; 01-13-2006, 12:47 PM.
                        Roland Microcube

Rotosound Strings

Shure SM57 mic

Comment

If the Bad Monkey doesn't do it, there's something wrong with your ears. (j/k bro).

Yes, you do have one of the better models. The MkIII's were in the first series of JCM900's produced. Don't give up on it. With the stuff you have (minus the MZ), your tone should be sickeningly good.

How much gain are you wanting?

Comment

lol, i won't give up on it easily. I have spent an extra £100 on it since i bought it getting the tubes refitted and biased and new tone controls putting in. i don't use my metal zone.

the kinds of tones i am after metal wise range from Megadeth type tones to in flames, Nile, Slayer, Metallica, wintersun, children of bodom, kreator, early Sepultura, that kind of stuff. i don't only play metal but it is a very important side of it for me.
                            Roland Microcube

Rotosound Strings

Shure SM57 mic

Comment

Working...
                            X