Tube change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube change?

I have a peavey classic 30 and this is my first tube amp. WHere can i have it retubed at? I dont want to retube it myself.

Re: Tube change?

Well, an excellent place to get your amp re-tubed would be at your local guitar shops.
    A candy coated dream with parks and trees and figurines and her arms wrapped 'round my sleeve.
    With tiny steps and eyes of green; Toy guitar that's out of tune, eyes fixed on morning time cartoons. And by the lantern of the moon I will dream of a love like you.

Comment

Thanks alot for the help!

Comment

Just a penny-pinching note from me: does it need re-tubing? I have replaced many tubes over the years and achieved no difference in sound as a result. Personally, I'd 'Google' for tube amp repairers in your area and see if they can give you an opinion on whether a complete re-tube is necessary. But if money isn't an issue, then doing it yourself is easy as a previous post suggests.
        Wound 'G' strings keep me sane.

Hear my songs at www.richardgroom.net

Comment

Amp mods .. heh
          Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
          Gibson 1959 reissue
          Gibson 1960 reissue
          Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

Don't the power tubes in the classic 30 need biased? or is it self biasing... i know some of the mesas are but most tubes amps arent.

Comment

I think Peavey's all have a preset bias point. Just buy a set of JJ 6L6's, and whatever pre tubes that have a written description you like.

A forum member, RevolutionMan owns the best tube store. Fast, cheap, and packed perfectly. www.revolutionguitar.com
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

+1 for Todd... A+++ businessman, fast shipping, great prices...you can't go wrong.

Comment

Yes, the powertubes are rattling.The powertubes make a noise whenever i play on the low E string.

Originally posted by RichardG
                  Just a penny-pinching note from me: does it need re-tubing? I have replaced many tubes over the years and achieved no difference in sound as a result. Personally, I'd 'Google' for tube amp repairers in your area and see if they can give you an opinion on whether a complete re-tube is necessary. But if money isn't an issue, then doing it yourself is easy as a previous post suggests.

Comment

that's no good.... i was over at the local music store today and the guy that owns it was saying he had a loss power tube that broke one of the clips in the socket after a lot of moving around....?? you don't want rattling. It's not good for your tubes in anyway.
                    My Cheese: combos with tubes hanging right over the speaker..... = lot less tube life.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                      I think Peavey's all have a preset bias point. Just buy a set of JJ 6L6's, and whatever pre tubes that have a written description you like.

The Classic 30 uses EL84s, but the JJ EL84 is a good place to start. Almost all Peavey's are fixed biased.

Bad Peavey! No STANDBY switch on the Classic 30 help prolong tube life. I would say that the power tubes in these amps need to be replaced every year, or even more often if you are playing it hard every day. Yes, combo amps do put a lot of mechanical wear on the tubes. If you notice any noise or microphonics, replace the preamp tubes as well.

It's about as hard as replacing a light bulb--just be carefull not to bend the pins.

Check out Eurotubes.com for good deals on JJs, or give Bob a call.

Bill
                      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Cheese
                        Yes, the powertubes are rattling.The powertubes make a noise whenever i play on the low E string.
                        There's no doubt in my mind that you need new tubes, but....

That rattling could be a bad speaker, or even something mechanically loose (reverb tank, etc.). Make sure everything is screwed down..if it continues after the tube change, it might be tech time.

Bill
                        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
                        X