banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody here plays a Laney VC50.. even if u dont.. u might be able to help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody here plays a Laney VC50.. even if u dont.. u might be able to help!

Hi guys

anybody here play the Laney VC50???

to those who dont know its the combo version of the VH100... all tube amp
    uses 6L6s and 12ax7s(i think!)

Anyway.. its about time for a tube change in my amp... but i find my amp a little bit bright... its always been a bit bright but now ive got SD JB's in my lespaul this thing is killing me

I dont know much about different tubes but i think ive read somewhere that EL34s give darker tones? is this right?

any reccomendations as to what i should change the tubes to?

Re: Anybody here plays a Laney VC50.. even if u dont.. u might be able to help!

What speaker are you playing though? IMHO aside from changing cap value's inside the amp (YOU DON'T WANNA GO THERE) Trust me. The speakers should have the most dramatic effect on taming a bright amp. Changing tubes with help to, But much more subtle than a Speaker.
    Last edited by kmcguitars; 01-11-2006, 03:49 AM.
    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

umm the stock ones are HH or something...
      ive been reading on harmony central and alot of people say that changing to celestion vintage 30s helps alot.. so i guess theres my answer!

Comment

lol.. changing speakers wont tame the brightness. You have to learn that the qualities of that amp are very benefitial, but can hurt you in certain situations. That amp is MADE to be gigged with. It will cut through any other amp/drummer/guitarist that is on stage with you. Thats why I love mine.

Anyhow, I switch tubes (6l6/el34) often and i think the EL34s have a bit brighter tone to them, but its pretty subtle. Mine came with T75s in them and at first it sounded extremely bright and harsh, so i eventually replaced one with an Eminence legend V12 and it does take some of the harshness out, but I found out that beam blockers do a good job too.
        Guitars: Jackson Black Flametop SLSMG FullShred(A8)/FullShred w/Tonepros bridge
        Fernandes Revolver Pro 7-String, BKP Painkiller(A8)
        Amp: Laney VH100R and Splawn 2x12 cab
        Effects: John Spina modded SD-1, Morley Bad Horsie Wah, MXR 10-band EQ (OLD version)
        Recording/Practice: Line 6 Guitar Port

Comment

dont get me wrong i love my amp!
          im not trying to change its sound or character.. i guess "taming" would be the appropriate word.. just a little off the top!
          i used to play my les with the stock 498T/490R combo and it sounded pretty good through this amp.. but too dark and muddy through anything else

now i've changed it to Jazz/Jb... and it sounds pretty nice and clear but some of the highs just pierce a little too much through this amp ESPECIALLY when playing clean

Comment

Working...
          X